JayMay023's IronMan Projects

Re: JayMay's War Machine and Mark V Iron Man. New lighting ideas.

Quick update on the War Machine helmet:

2011-03-21194502.jpg

And a quick tutorial on faceplate hinges:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awf7VfHJhh8

Hey Jay, does this faceplate hinges also applicable to the IM Mk IV done by sharkhead and dubean?

Hey Jay, does this faceplate hinges also applicable to the IM Mk IV done by sharkhead and dubean?

Yes, the arms of the hinges may need to be lengthened for IronMan helmets. I'll be installing the same hinges in the Mark V.

Re: Iron Man 2 helmets, faceplate hinges explained

Ahh the MasterLee hack hinge system. Lol Nice brass hinges. Should get some of the pep guys flipping there faceplates.;)

Thanks for the video. Was wondering how I was going to attach my faceplate. This may just be the way I do it once I detach the faceplate!

Thanks for the video. Was wondering how I was going to attach my faceplate. This may just be the way I do it once I detach the faceplate!

Yup. As finhead pointed out the last video shows the infamous le hinges. I created my side mount hinges before I even saw these. However Its a simple design and can help in the creation of side mount hinges, which is a far supierior design, especially if you want to motorize the faceplate

@finhead, ya brass is nice and ya this hinge will get pep people tp flip their lids:lol

Very impressive work jaymay! The LED eyes look awesome! What's the visibility like through the lenses when they're lit?

Very impressive work jaymay! The LED eyes look awesome! What's the visibility like through the lenses when they're lit?

Thanks! The last style with the eye socket pod have the reveal slot that is standard on most iron man helms. Enough to see out of the bottom of the eye socket, unfortunately you cant see through the lense. If you want full visability I would suggest the peppers ghost style lenses

Looking good there, when I get round to doing my War Machine I think I might have to make a rotary hings in the space on the sides of the faceplate, looks to be where a 'real helmet' hings is supposed to be ;)

Thanks for the video's BTW they're VERY helpful :D

Did you have any luck actuating the jaw? I'm really curious as to how you would do that, especially since the rest of your work is really innovative, and just brilliant. :)

Did you have any luck actuating the jaw? I'm really curious as to how you would do that, especially since the rest of your work is really innovative, and just brilliant. :)

On the War Machine I've figured it out. There will be more details on it later.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Cheers,

Jay

Hey all, its been too long since I posted last! To those who have pm'd me I will reply to you all this weekend (I've already replied to some). Ive been busy and haven't had time to update any of my progress.

First off I'm sure a few of you have seen the Mark V:
(I'll upload the final painted version when I get home tonight)
2011-05-01202536.jpg

And some video of the final paint.

Mark V final paint - YouTube
And some Unique helmet weathering!

Unique helmet weathering. - YouTube
This was a project that me and former member Phantom Prophet worked on. Since he was working on Thor at the time and couldn't complete the Mark V I helped him finish up the final details.
I touched up the lines using needle files and straightened up some corners and edges. Not pictured are the eye-pods created for this helmet (for eye lighting). Ill be breaking off another thread on the Iron Man and War Machine Eye lighting techniques.

My more recent endeavors have been on my favorite project, War Machine. Yes I'm still plug'in away at the helmet, something like two years now I think..

DSC_0630.jpg

DSC_0629.jpg

DSC_0628.jpg

DSC_0626.jpg

To create this helmet I used thorssoli's method to stretch out one of my series 2 helmets (http://www.therpf.com/f24/stretching-out-my-undersized-iron-man-helmet-86703/). I cut it down the middle, added 1/2 inch to the middle section, added larger areas above the ear circles and straighten out the curves in the chin area and pour a lot of plastic to appropriately stretch the helmet. This was on a trial and error type deal and I didn't take any pics or video during this time.. =(

I do have a brief YouTube video describing how it was done.

Iron Man 2 war machine - YouTube

Over all this helmets weights somewhere in the range of four pounds, there is a lot of plastic in this thing, a lot of building up done to it!

I'm working on the write up on eye lighting and should have more to post this weekend!

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited:
Re: Bigger Badder War Machine!

Im just gonna leave this here for now :angel, hinges installed, lights installed and helmet wet sanded with 2000 grit sand paper, followed by rubbing compound and then waxed!
Faceplate has bolts embedded to mount the hinges, the faceplate will get the same treatment of wet sanding, however I'm having difficulty finding a metallic that will keep its same color and tone when a clear coat is applied. I've been toying with the idea of silver plating (yes real silver) the faceplate!

Its so shiney! I so wanna do a whole IronMan armor now!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back