It's Sad...

XilianX2010

I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but this is pretty so sad to know. It happens way to often with me. 

Every time I show someone my Predator drawings, talk about my suit I'm working on, and anything else Predator related (or even Alien related) People will always be like:

"Like from Aliens vs Predator?"
"Is that the one where they're at the temple in the ice?"
"Where there in the small town?"
"Isn't that the half alien half predator thingy?"
(Also, I kid you not, people say this) "Is that from Predators vs. Aliens?"

I get so annoyed to know that these people, (friends and people at school) when I mention Predator or Alien all they've ever seen is Avp or Avp:R. They never heard of the originals, never watched them, or even say they sucked. 

I know there are people out there who like Avp, and I used too, but now...by God i hate those films. It's all IMO, but it's poor writing, acting, and the predators and aliens themselves are more un-realistic and silly looking than the older ones made in the 70s' and 80s'! The older Predator and Aliens were the best!

It's not just with Predators and aliens, but any movie that was made back then (Total Recall for example) but then was remade into trash, people thinks it's great and better and have never seen the originals. (Like with Godzilla too).

Has this ever happened to anyone else, or ever been in a situation where people can only recall a ****** remake and not the original?

Predlethe said:
Kids these days, no respect! 
HEY! Watch it! I have plenty of respect for classics!
LOL.

That happens to me sometimes. So I only mention the movies or my suits to my closest friends.
Or my enemies to see how dumb they are.

I know where your coming from mate...i love my films so much i dont even have tv..as its crap...ive seen plenty of films in my time old black n whites like King kong
or Night of the Demon..or the Tingler and the original Thing..top stuff.
I,ve seen remakes of Gone in 60 seconds..utter garbage..and of course i,ve ran into the "oh is that the one where that thing comes oot the guys chest??"..ah,e seen that bit at ma mates oan the internet..its awesome..was it Spaceballs??..Splitting a brain dead internet reared shoot em up dweeb..is a most desirable
option..but the net has a lot to answer for as does cgi ,film companys who think they can buck a trend with a remake of a classic by putting in some half arsed
hippety hop cant sing for toffee rap star "as the kids will go wild "..Duh..no it will have the life exspectancy of John Hurt havin his last ever nosh in the
Nostromos dinner ...and if some wee film company exec ever comes up with the idea of an Alien remake?..then am movin to the isle of Arran an takin up
residency as a goat..have a happy new year.

I got Predator on DVD for Christmas and I watched it last night (now I have seen Predator many times, but finally own it) and Jungle Hunter (P1) is WAAAAY more realistic than any other alien/creature I've seen in movie history. I might be exaggerating but in my personal opinion  I've never seen a more awesome well made creature and made so realistic in a movie (As much as I love Godzilla, there were always some parts in his movies where it would be kinda ridiculous).

And I do love Predator 2, though not as much as Predator. And I did enjoy the Predators film, I thought it kept the Predator feel to it, and kept them the way they should be. (Though I don't find the Super Preds to be my personal fave, they were pretty cool looking).

The only thing I can love from the Avp movies is Wolf Predator, just find him to be my fave Predator.

I hear ya XilianX2010, I want to see a completely ORIGINAL idea in a movie, period. At this point, I consider every possible movie has been redone 2 - 3 times. At least, One of those is a good one. Stop making bad remakes. They are a waste of money and time. On that note,  I consider Predator and Predator 2 to be the only real Pred films. To me, AVP doesn't exist. Requiem was only slightly less bad, too many bad acting humans. I really just want to see an only Predator movie with maybe 4 - 5 humans, tops, and like 20 totally different looking  Predators. That would be fun!

Wait...when did they make an AvP movie?  Link?  I don't recall ever seeing or hearing anything about movies with a Predator in it after P2. 

Also, I agree with wonko 10 hundred percent.

BENSIN said:
Wait...when did they make an AvP movie?  Link?  I don't recall ever seeing or hearing anything about movies with a Predator in it after P2. 

Also, I agree with wonko 10 hundred percent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GT59zmF_Oo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrTXTb03Ixc

in 2004 they made an Avp....and it was terrible

in 2007 they made Avp: Requiem....also bad.

I don't know HOW you don't know what Avp is. I mean most people now a days that hear Predator/alien, they think Avp. But it didn't start from the movies. Avp was first in comic books, then released into PC games in 1997, and they were really good games too. Even among Predator/alien fan-base, you could have had heard of Avp at some point.

Then they made ****** movies...

I agree that P1 and 2 are the only real predator movies.  Everything after that proceeded to get worse with each new attempt.  What really gets me is all the "over thinking" that goes into all the books and comics.  Come on, who really cares about how they reproduce, what language they speak, or what their home world is like.  And a predator "teaming up" with a human???  That has to be about the MOST ridiculous thing or thought EVER.  That's like someone going out and befriending a lion to hunt together... dumb as hell!  The stage was set with the first 2 movies...hunters come to earth to hunt and collect trophies.  Why try and take something as simple that and turn it into the silly little "once upon a time" movies that came after the first 2?  These sorts of topics pop up all the time, and never seem to accomplish anything or make any real interesting discussion.  I'm a predator fan... not AVP, not requim, and certainly not predators.  Why can't today's generation live with the fact that predator has had his moment in the spotlight, and let the legend live on through the fans?  Maybe it's because I watched it in the theater when it came out, and got to experience the movie the way it was meant to be experienced.  Maybe it was because it was made back when special effects where an art form, instead of hours sitting behind a computer screen.  Don't get me wrong, there are some good movies that use CGI, but it will never be the same.  I guess that's why I keep going back to the classics and won't waste my time on most of the sci fi crap that's coming out of the studios today.

But that's just my opinion...

Brian

BENSIN said:
Sarcasm...

P.S.  The absolute WORST, post-Predator 2 abomination is 'Predators', the worst BY FAR.
I think I could have guessed that by your pro pic... XDXD

And sorry I didn't catch your sarcasm, it's text...no emotion XD

The only thing I like about AVP-R is Wolf. He is my favorit as well. The Predators film introduced new Predators but no back story. I like the original draft for Predators that had Dutch and human Predators acting as police. Only thing AVP had was cool new weapons.

wonko said:
I agree that P1 and 2 are the only real predator movies.  Everything after that proceeded to get worse with each new attempt.  What really gets me is all the "over thinking" that goes into all the books and comics.  Come on, who really cares about how they reproduce, what language they speak, or what their home world is like.  And a predator "teaming up" with a human???  That has to be about the MOST ridiculous thing or thought EVER.  That's like someone going out and befriending a lion to hunt together... dumb as hell!  The stage was set with the first 2 movies...hunters come to earth to hunt and collect trophies.  Why try and take something as simple that and turn it into the silly little "once upon a time" movies that came after the first 2?  These sorts of topics pop up all the time, and never seem to accomplish anything or make any real interesting discussion.  I'm a predator fan... not AVP, not requim, and certainly not predators.  Why can't today's generation live with the fact that predator has had his moment in the spotlight, and let the legend live on through the fans?  Maybe it's because I watched it in the theater when it came out, and got to experience the movie the way it was meant to be experienced.  Maybe it was because it was made back when special effects where an art form, instead of hours sitting behind a computer screen.  Don't get me wrong, there are some good movies that use CGI, but it will never be the same.  I guess that's why I keep going back to the classics and won't waste my time on most of the sci fi crap that's coming out of the studios today.

But that's just my opinion...

Brian
I remember seeing AvP at the theater just to see for myself, if I was right in calling the movie was going to be a stinky piece of ****.  Man, I hate being right all the time.  Not only was it a stinky piece of ****, but it was an extraordinarily stinky piece of ****, I'm talking the squishy poop kind that takes longer to wipe than it does to release.  I knew that the franchise was dead forever when I saw the scene between Scar and Lex.  Scar takes his mask off, people laugh, I'm not making this up by the way, then some one gets up and shouts:

"Now give her a big kiss!!!"

It was over.  Honestly if I were the effects people on that movie I would be ashamed and embarassed, I would apologize for the lackadaisical work done on that movie.  ...and 'lackadaisical' is being as gentle as I can be.  There were also people moaning "No, Noooooo." during the 'bullet time' sequence featuring the face huggers.  I felt the same pain the movie goers felt, my insides churned with the heat of ten thousand suns, my blood boiled with all the heat of hell.  Paul Anderson and company had ****** up the un-****-up-able.

I remember seeing an interview with Paul W.S. Anderson where he mocked the designs of the plasma casters used by the hero Predators in the first two movies.  I think it was something along the lines of calling the first one a 'hair dryer' and the second one a 'cell phone', the disrespect and the audacity pissed me off so bad that I **** out a dragon right there ON THE SPOT.

There was hope though, hope that surely no one could ever **** up worse than AvP....right?  Well for once, I was wrong, because they ****** up again and again.  I didn't even know such a level of failure was even possible according to the laws of physics.

I enjoyed the designs on the AvP trio, unfortunately the melted butter face of Scar killed it.  Wolf Predator was also the best thing to come out of the three piece of **** movies, except I don't know why they didn't put netting on his legs.  He looks like he has no pants on, that's stupid. 

...regarding 'Predators', I have no words, but I can show you how I feel:

killyourself.gif

XilianX2010 said:
I think I could have guessed that by your pro pic... XDXD

And sorry I didn't catch your sarcasm, it's text...no emotion XD

No worries, my text gets misconstrued from time to time.  I think it IS sad that an entire era of art form mastery is lost on newer generations.

Grothloch said:
I hear ya XilianX2010, I want to see a completely ORIGINAL idea in a movie, period. At this point, I consider every possible movie has been redone 2 - 3 times. 

It has been said that there really are only two movie plots ever, which all movies are variations of:

1. a stranger comes to town

and

2. a person sets out on a journey

Those are, of course, the flip sides to the same story.  ;)

wonko said:
I agree that P1 and 2 are the only real predator movies.  Everything after that proceeded to get worse with each new attempt.  

I agree too.  With each subsequent movie, we have gone further and further from the original concept of the Pred as a HUNTER, and morphed the Preds into some sort of serial killer or guerrilla fighter instead--or even worse, given the Pred a human girlfriend and tried to turn them into some sort of "good guy".

Ugh.

Alas, those are the kinds of movies people want to see today, so I doubt that we will ever again see a movie that will recapture that original "predator" concept. 

wonko said:
Maybe it's because I watched it in the theater when it came out, and got to experience the movie the way it was meant to be experienced.  Maybe it was because it was made back when special effects where an art form, instead of hours sitting behind a computer screen.  Don't get me wrong, there are some good movies that use CGI, but it will never be the same.  I guess that's why I keep going back to the classics and won't waste my time on most of the sci fi crap that's coming out of the studios today.

Again, I agree.  I too saw it in the theater (several times, because I liked it so much) back in 1987. Two of the things I liked most about it were:

1.  After decades of cheesy-looking stop-action monsters and even cheesier-looking guys in rubber suits and fur (the "cantina" scene in Star Wars made me groan repeatedly because so many costumes there looked abysmally bad even by 1970's standards), the Pred was one of the first to LOOK REAL (the xeno in "Alien" was another). The mandibles were something we had never seen before, the shoulder cannon and wristblades were new and unique, even the glow-in-the-dark blood was new and looked fantastic. Thank all the Hollywood gods that the producers didn't stick with the original "chameleon" concept (it was a fascinating concept, but just not do-able with 1980's technology) and brought Stan in.

2. "Predator" had what were, to me, very apparent social and political undertones which fit in perfectly with the world of the late-Cold War 80's. Remember, these were the Reagan Years, the US and the USSR were at each others throats, everyone thought the nukes would start flying at any time, we were spending more money than God on an ever-bigger military machine, invasion of Central America seemed imminent---and here's this movie that says "you think your big military machine is bad-ass? Well here's something that hunts your best-of-the-best heroes like rabbits, skins them, and hangs them up by their feet". It was a wonderfully subversive message for the time. The best scifi is about *us*, not about space aliens and FX. The best scifi comments on humans, as they are today, and as they probably always will be. In an era where superhero movies and story-less FX extravaganzas dominate the box office, I miss the idea that scifi is about us, and is a way to slyly comment on us and our times. Most scifi today has lost that, and is just about selling merchandised toys and happy meals.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back