It's all in the details

This has got me thinking, I'm gonna build a scuba tank into my suit so I can take it under! Get me some sharks!

The detail I love most and can't wait for is performing in the suit. Like andrew said, just the way you open your hand can tell so much. That is way cool.

Oh and, just wanted to add to my previous post..; That what makes some suits here so freakingly awesome, is because some of you actually bothers to get details down. Not many do.
:)

.'. All great points Andrew. I remember last Halloween it was my first time suiting up I was so excited. Although I got lots of great comments from people it wasn’t till after I saw the photos that I started critiquing myself. I noticed then that I could have used more black paint around my eyes and the fact that the neck of the mask kept coming out of the neck-ring really bothered me. Since then I've corrected some things about my suit like adding more paint around my eyes and the addition of the contacts too. Added different armor pieces and aged them too. I like honesty because its the only way I think we can make our suits better and better. But I often hold back saying things to people for the fact that I don't want to anger or hurt someone's feelings. Momma always said "if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen", lol. I see little things that if only they corrected would add so much to there suites. Like the lack of a neck-ring (it makes the mask blend with the top). Adding contacts and the simple thing of putting black paint (make up) around the eyes. Don't use platforms on the bottom of your feet to make yourself taller. A few inches is fine but when you go overboard it just takes away from the look and makes you look like Frankenstein. Its better to be a short Predator than try to make yourself 7 foot tall. Wear what fits YOU not someone else, i.e. skin that has to many ripples, head that's to big for your body (bobble head look). Weathering armor is a must and its really not hard to do. Mannowar gave me some great tips and know how in this. I didn't think I could paint raw pieces but its not hard. Sometimes you just gotta jump in with both feet. Maybe we should start a critiquing thread where if you wanted feedback be it negative or positive people could post a front,back, and profile photo of there suit and have people give there honest opinion without fear of being scorned. Yea we all see the positive side of things but what do you really think would be interesting too. Just my 2 cents worth. .'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff.

I've seen hundreds of pictures of Pred costumes on here. Some movie quality IMO, some not. Each and every one of them are an achievement. However, the thing that I find most irritating is when suits are out of proportion one way or another. Everyone wants a bio as close to the original as possible, I can see that. However, something that looked sleek on a 7'sth" guy will look out of place on someone who's a wee bit over 5'8". Same thing goes for the skin. Buying the perfect latex skin that "will fit anyone between 5' and 6' ft. /120-240 lbs may quite possibly lead to you looking like you're shedding. I remember one particular comment on a pic, "finally a Predator with a waistline". There's one of the details again. I think the skin should fit like, well, a 2nd skin. I'd rather paint my pajamas than go in something 2 sizes too wide. There are a lot of suits on this forum that had exactly that done to them and they look stunning when worn. So that's my 2 cts, you can make great fitting stuff yourself. This place is like a library, the tutorials are all there.

This has got me thinking, I'm gonna build a scuba tank into my suit so I can take it under! Get me some sharks!

The detail I love most and can't wait for is performing in the suit. Like andrew said, just the way you open your hand can tell so much. That is way cool.
I don't know if I would have wanted a scuba tank, but I can definitely tell you that my suit felt like a wetsuit after a while, because I was sweating so much in it. :) Then again, I'm a certified scuba diver, so I know what it's actually like to be in a wetsuit.

I hadn't really thought that much about what it was like to perform in a Predator suit until I was actually in it and performing on stage. One of my friends helped me out with the initial choreography in my performance at the CONvergence Masquerade. She told me I should prowl around on stage and act like a hunter, constantly on the alert. I think I got that to some degree. Shooting out the wristblades got a few oohs and aahs, and taking off the biohelmet and roaring definitely got applause from the crowd. Looking back at the video, though, I can think of a few things I could have improved -- like stopping to look around, or turning suddenly to face a new threat, or something.

Another thing I was trying to figure out about performing in a suit was how to pose for pictures with a group of Predators who are all facing the same prey. I'm the one on the right in this photo, and I'm not 100% sure I look like I'm going to attack the guy in orange:
4966906338_37ac1d97cb.jpgDragonCon-09042010-120 by Elkman, on Flickr
On the other hand, this shot of me against Abe the Alien is a great shot:
4966303409_ccc5594615.jpgDragonCon-09052010-170-cropped by Elkman, on Flickr

This is also a good one, except for those stupid switch wires hanging out:
4966304137_d66aeefdca.jpgDragonCon-09052010-180 by Elkman, on Flickr

By the way, watching Abe the Alien move around is really educational. He really has the fluid movement down. You can see the slithering, serpent-like movements.

Maybe we need a Predator acting school on here, or something. Or at least some pointers to YouTube videos where people like us can get it right.

The only time i could see a pred being a little more clean is when they are at trials. thats when they are just starting out in their life of hunting.
I feel I fit this category especially since this is my first suit build and I think I want Father time to beat the **** out of my suit when I wear it out hunting with the rest of you guys it puts a little realism as far as scratches cuts and everything on the armor. I will also be putting some scars, scratches, and tattoos (not my real ones just more tribel just to give that primal hunter look) on my skin like I have them on my real skin just to make it more ME

I've seen hundreds of pictures of Pred costumes on here. Some movie quality IMO, some not. Each and every one of them are an achievement. However, the thing that I find most irritating is when suits are out of proportion one way or another. Everyone wants a bio as close to the original as possible, I can see that. However, something that looked sleek on a 7'sth" guy will look out of place on someone who's a wee bit over 5'8". Same thing goes for the skin. Buying the perfect latex skin that "will fit anyone between 5' and 6' ft. /120-240 lbs may quite possibly lead to you looking like you're shedding. I remember one particular comment on a pic, "finally a Predator with a waistline". There's one of the details again. I think the skin should fit like, well, a 2nd skin. I'd rather paint my pajamas than go in something 2 sizes too wide. There are a lot of suits on this forum that had exactly that done to them and they look stunning when worn.

This is exactly why I'm buying Bob's Bersker skin based on his height which is the same as mine it will fit me very well.

.'. I see little things that if only they corrected would add so much to there suites. Like the lack of a neck-ring (it makes the mask blend with the top). Adding contacts and the simple thing of putting black paint (make up) around the eyes. Don't use platforms on the bottom of your feet to make yourself taller. A few inches is fine but when you go overboard it just takes away from the look and makes you look like Frankenstein. Its better to be a short Predator than try to make yourself 7 foot tall. Wear what fits YOU not someone else. .'.
I agree don't be a shamed of your height when it comes to accuracy in the movies the look is what is important that fits the wearer's frame not towering over your prey like Godzilla.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back