Is Darth Vader's saber blade painted (ANH) & blade flexing.

So... I’ve noticed this as well. But, I can assure you the emitter was spinning under its own power at one time.

And I’ve posted this on other threads. There’s black and white footage of them dueling with out any rotoscoping “only a master of evil darth” is the famous part I quote where you can clearly see the entire emitter spinning

And the emitter isn’t 100% true so it is a little wobbly

I have been watching the DVD’s lately and I can’t say I see the emitter spinning.. BUT is this something they fixed when they touched up the Blu-ray’s/DVD’s?

But I clearly agree, that one scene there is a spec there, the blade still flickers.. I’m curious if the spec we see is reflection of light?

Like Tom said. We know 100% the emitter was built to spin with by the motor, Brandon explains he took it apart and examined how it worked and there is even signs of how the motor was mounted inside

Scott has held the thing and also confirms the emitter spins freely

Check out the cantina scene too, the v2 was used there and I believe that scene was filmed first..

There is black and white footage of that too, and he turns the emitter on real fast and then shuts it off while he’s looking around like “don’t mess with me”

Fun fact, “only a master of evil darth” for about 2 seconds they left in the sound of the motor spinning, listen you can hear it come and go

The black and white video the motor sound is there the whole time, fairly loud

There’s black and white footage of them dueling with out any rotoscoping “only a master of evil darth” is the famous part I quote where you can clearly see the entire emitter spinning

Do you mean 'birth of the lightsaber' from 3.05 onwards? I have just watched that yet again & see no evidence that the emitter spins. If you are referring to the glare bleed over from the blade/emitter 'join' then it's just as likely it's the blades motion you're seeing, looking at the emitter only I see no motion.

Like Tom said. We know 100% the emitter was built to spin with by the motor, Brandon explains he took it apart and examined how it worked and there is even signs of how the motor was mounted inside
&
We are absolutely sure of the V2's construction from the outside, and from a basic standpoint inside. This is from those videos of it once Brandon got ahold of it, and from Brandon himself. The whole emitter is separate, with set screws underneath the emitter lip, in the nipple and they are affixed to the steel rod running down the neck, that has something attached to it to keep the emitter on inside the upper grip.

From what's been put here that only tells me how the V2 is now. The film clip is showing a static emitter which means we either have a) a motorised saber that's not the V2 or b) evidence that the V2 was altered post ANH to the current set up. or c) tampering from the 'clean up'.
PLEASE can someone point me at these video's / posts, I'd love to see them before I make any other comment.

Last edited:
That's a good question. I'm not sure - but I do know the emitters of the V3 and V2 are different. The top plate is much wider on the v3, I've had an idea for a while that they produced a separate emitter for the V2 or lathed up the one they cut off the cast

That's a good question. I'm not sure - but I do know the emitters of the V3 and V2 are different. The top plate is much wider on the v3, I've had an idea for a while that they produced a separate emitter for the V2 or lathed up the one they cut off the cast
That‘s what I think, too - that the V2 emitter is a separate piece produced on a lathe and was then married to the cast aluminum „body“ of the V2. Jon told me that a group of people was working on the special effects sabers for ANH, so it could be possible that they used different ways to create the mechanical effect. What if - just a theory - during ANH production, only the plug/nipple/insert in the V2 emitter rotated together with the blade? Could they probably have used some sort of a shaft and tube system? That was my first idea when I thought about how they created the spinning blade on the Obi saber.

BTW I‘m pretty much convinced now that the only square lightsaber blade in ANH was the one used on Lukes stunt saber in Ben‘s hut.

Sorry for the OT.

What if - just a theory - during ANH production, only the plug/nipple/insert in the V2 emitter rotated together with the blade? Could they probably have used some sort of a shaft and tube system? That was my first idea when I thought about how they created the spinning blade on the Obi saber.

Just what I've been thinking.

I'm personally discounting my above option c) 'clean up' tampering, because Alec G has his hand/fingers either on he emitter or the emitter shaft thoughout this sequence which, at the very least, would apply breaking to the motor but the RPM is just as normal. Whatever this saber is, the emitter is static but it has a motorised rotating blade. From what we can see there is no way to tell if it's the V2 or another V2 type.

...Oh yes I found another bendy

Screenshot_2019-03-13_11-32-18.png

two Qs and observations.

in the first pic someone said there is a white wire running up his sleeve.

In the second screen grab, he is letting the grip go with his right hand... no wire seen.

Why make the wire "white" and very visible
could the white in the first image be his white sleeve?

In the screen grab, an interesting thing I note in the video is that when they yell cut... AG focuses on the lightsaber and seems to look to a switch? to turn it off?

In the second screen grab, he is letting the grip go with his right hand... no wire seen.

Can you repost the screen grab you mean. I've looked back & the only screen grabs I've put up (pg3) all have the white line 'wire' going up his sleeve & I can't find one where he's one handed.

In the screen grab, an interesting thing I note in the video is that when they yell cut... AG focuses on the lightsaber and seems to look to a switch? to turn it off?

Sorry again which video are you talking about?

Dude, the wires appear the instant the saber is "ignited". Why make them white? You'd have to ask the special effects team that.

two Qs and observations.

in the first pic someone said there is a white wire running up his sleeve.

Why make the wire "white" and very visible
could the white in the first image be his white sleeve?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back