Iron man motorised faceplate electronics tutorial!!!

Im having some problems, idk if its been talked about but 52 pages is a lot to look through.
So Im not using this for Iron Man faceplate, but just to power one servo. I followed the guide and skipped over the LED eyes.
My Arduino Uno came with a 9v connector, so I used a 9v batters.
I did everything and uploaded the codes. The serve moves about 90degrees and stops Nothing happenes when I press the button. When I remove and plug the button back in, the servo moves again and stops.
One thing that worries me is that my 10ohm resistor is crazy hot. Like burnt my finger. So I quickly removed the battery and unpluged the USB.

Im having some problems, idk if its been talked about but 52 pages is a lot to look through.
So Im not using this for Iron Man faceplate, but just to power one servo. I followed the guide and skipped over the LED eyes.
My Arduino Uno came with a 9v connector, so I used a 9v batters.
I did everything and uploaded the codes. The serve moves about 90degrees and stops Nothing happenes when I press the button. When I remove and plug the button back in, the servo moves again and stops.
One thing that worries me is that my 10ohm resistor is crazy hot. Like burnt my finger. So I quickly removed the battery and unpluged the USB.
If you are using external power for the servo, remember to connect its ground to Arduino ground. I've used 9V battery to test my servo/led circuit and all was working fine (i'm using altered circuit from the first page of this thread). The 9V battery was powering up two servos, and Arduino was powered by USB (and also was powering the LEDs).

If you are using external power for the servo, remember to connect its ground to Arduino ground. I've used 9V battery to test my servo/led circuit and all was working fine (i'm using altered circuit from the first page of this thread). The 9V battery was powering up two servos, and Arduino was powered by USB (and also was powering the LEDs).

Im running the servo from 9v thats connected to the Arduino Uno. Here's a pic of how I wired it.

the white, black, red wires at the bottom right, goes to the servo.

Why you have lined 2 pairs of button legs (two are connected to the GND and PIN 2 - at 25th line, and two are lined with the red cable at 28th line)?
Try to connect button like this: at 25th line disconnect one leg of button from breadboard. So, you have one leg of button (at the right side) connected to signal, then on the left side of button, one leg conects to the GND (through resistor, but i don't think it is necessary, becouse you don't have LEDs), and the other one to the +.

IMG_20131003_095729.jpg

Last edited:
Why you have lined 2 pairs of button legs (two are connected to the GND and PIN 2 - at 25th line, and two are lined with the red cable at 28th line)?
Try to connect button like this: at 25th line disconnect one leg of button from breadboard. So, you have one leg of button (at the right side) connected to signal, then on the left side of button, one leg conects to the GND (through resistor, but i don't think it is necessary, becouse you don't have LEDs), and the other one to the +.

I think I figured out why it may not work and why the resistor gets super hot. A huge but simple mistake. I used a 10ohm resistor instead of a 10kohm. I thought the package I bought was 10kohm.

If I wanted to use two towerpro MG995 servos instead of the SG90 in the example, what would I need? I have the set up thats in the example (minus the LEDs) basically seems straight forward of 10k ohm resistor, switch, servos. I tried to plug and play but the MG995s just twitch. How do I get them to work

1.) servos really dont matter.. UNLESS they have different ratings/needs than what you are set-up for.. does it have the same voltage requirements as the other servos? a swap (usually) shouldnt matter.. were your old ones working correctly?

2.) a twitch (to me) says that the GNDS are not connected to each other.. make sure all GNDS meet/connect together.. (battery, Arduino, servos)

What is the maximum amount of LEDs you can run on the Arduino Uno? There is so much info here yet I'm doing something a bit different here. I want to put around 8-10 LEDs around each eye. So I'm looking at having close to or 20 LEDs powered up in the helmet. Then if I can even fit that many LEDs on the UNO I'm wondering what it will take to power the board,servos,LEDs together.

dentingleopard
it was mentioned by someone... but why?

ROBBDOGG1986
most (if not all) diagrams posted by myself and memebr have multiple leds per eye, so I guess Im not clear on what the problem/question is? (or what it is you are doing 'different'??)

If you truly are asking how many leds you can 'run' on an Uno.. its roughly 1-2 accent leds(not high powered) leds per pin, usually in the 20mA range.
for a total of up to (max) 200mA total from the Uno board.. (might be able to space out the number by careful resistor planning/selecting)

however, you can use a transistor, like has been shown. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
follow the tutorials/diagrams/wiring posted here.. and you can. :)

in the diagram I posted I have at least 6-7 per eye.. you can a few more (up to whatever the transistor current rating is?.. and whatever your regulator is capped at)..

point: its already posted here. :)

side note:

like the eyes...:)
you could maybe use EL sheet too..

ya i just spent a few hours kinda reading and just skimming through all 52 pages..lol thats ALOT to take in at once. At least I know its there now and can be done. Btw im a noob and is the EL flexible? can you cut it to shape?

Thanks for the great tutorial in the first post. However, you mention that in production you wouldn't need to have the breadboard - is there a final list of items we'd need, and a walkthrough on how to build for a set that we'd put into an actual suit rather than just prototyping?

IMHO/suggestion.. you could follow one of the diagrams posted by myself or memebr...

it has no breadboard and shows the direct connections...

the only thing you'd need to figure out out is how to mount everything if not making professional pcbs for things..

IMHO/suggestion.. you could follow one of the diagrams posted by myself or memebr...

it has no breadboard and shows the direct connections...

I just did a search for your posts but the search results don't show images. Could you post up the diagram again here for me and other members who may come across this thread?

What battery type should i get, some people have told me to get Li-Ion batteries while others tell me NiMh batteries. I want to know which battery type (not necesarily the ones mentioned) will have better performance/last longer

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back