Iron man motorised faceplate electronics tutorial!!!

I guess its up to you..

as long as it has enough current and the correct voltage to power the voltage regulators..etc..

1.) "I" suggest Li-Ions, because it takes less batteries that Alkaline & Nihm's to get a decent, +7.4v battery pack with some long life in it.

2.) It also depends on what you have to use or plan to use to recharge your battery choice? or do you plan on buying Alkaline type over & over?

IMHO.. a dual 18650 pack will last a VERY long time..

put a JST connector on it.. and buy/make several packs so you can easily swap out..

or wire in a re-charge port.. and you can just connect a charger to the port and charge the pack while its still 'in-helmet'..

I suggest buying protected/rechargable type.. to save in the long run.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess its up to you..

as long as it has enough current and the correct voltage to power the voltage regulators..etc..

1.) "I" suggest Li-Ions, because it takes less batteries that Alkaline & Nihm's to get a decent, +7.4v battery pack with some long life in it.

2.) It also depends on what you have to use or plan to use to recharge your battery choice? or do you plan on buying Alkaline type over & over?

IMHO.. a dual 18650 pack will last a VERY long time..

put a JST connector on it.. and buy/make several packs so you can easily swap out..

or wire in a re-charge port.. and you can just connect a charger to the port and charge the pack while its still 'in-helmet'..

I suggest buying protected/rechargable type.. to save in the long run.

Yay, back from the dead, the army send me again in a long deploy, so i was kinda busy this last month, but I'm back till December! (than they will deploy me again)

i was reading everything since i left the thread and i just have one thing to say:

Kids, LISTEN to what xl97 says, this dude have a nice knowledge in the area, and the guy is basically repeating himself over and over again and you guys never listen to him, 90% of the questions in this thread are already answered.

Also i have to say that my project is totally frozen by lack of time to work with it, but I'm going to try to give xl97 a help in here, solving users problems!

anyways, I'm in a new project involving Arduino, to help kids with motor dysfunction to play instruments, i will post some pics later, it is ultra cool and I'm using a variant of my iron man code in it!

thats all for the moment!

So I ordered a arduino uno R3 off eBay. Now I realize after buying it it say ***This is a arduino uno R3 clone. Could I have just waisted my money? Could I still use this?

Ok since this is a little over welding I just went with following the first step/post. I did the exact wiring and code but I'm getting nothing. I'm afraid of burning something up. I don't know what to do...:/

Ok since this is a little over welding I just went with following the first step/post. I did the exact wiring and code but I'm getting nothing. I'm afraid of burning something up. I don't know what to do...:/

The setup on the 1st page is not that good, there are glitches and bugs with it, try my wiring/code or xl97 wiring/code

also, aways connects all the GND together.

give a read on the whole thread, you will find nice answers to 90% of your problems

I finally have movement. But I have a few problems. The smaller servo seems to rotate a little farther than the larger one, The larger one actually vibrates, And they both turn in the same direction. Could it be because they are two different servos? As far as how it powers up, When I hit the button to open it, It seems to restart or shutdown. Here's a video show what I'm talking about. Ironman open/close prototype set up. - YouTube

Is the polarity of that led right? bigger led = positive side, small leg = negative side, test all the circuit for short circuits or lose connections, test the push button it self to see if it is working properly, use a multimeter on the continuity function.

Seem fine to me on the pictures.

I'm also using the code of the 1st page and it is working like a charm!

I also used this code but you said it had bugs and glitches...so what code should I use?

xl97 memebr

OMG GUYS there is soooo much info here that I am confised again. I had setup the prto board and parts with code from first page a while back like 3 months. I then set to start making the suit. I have made 95% of it and am adding electronics I go to the servos and it works when connected to the computer via usb but when I connect a 9v battery thought the boards RAW and ground crazyness, it no longer works. The servos jump crazy twitch and the let will not light up. I though that maybe I was suppose to put the power to the 5V (even though I was told better and read not to) so I think I fried the boad cause now even when I put into computer the servos just cycle up and down random on with no push button input.

I have another board and can order another pro mini in the mean time I want to make sure I dont screw this one up can YOu please help me by reposting your most current code with the eye flicker and the wiring diagram for it.

I have gone though reading about 30 pages of the thread but I may have missed something with all the diff codes and conversations. So I just thought I would ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also used this code but you said it had bugs and glitches...so what code should I use?

I modified the code on the 1st page to work for me, if you wanna follow my build, you have to use my setup and my code. If you wanna use xl97 approach, you have to use his setup and his code.

xl97 memebr

OMG GUYS there is soooo much info here that I am confised again. I had setup the prto board and parts with code from first page a while back like 3 months. I then set to start making the suit. I have made 95% of it and am adding electronics I go to the servos and it works when connected to the computer via usb but when I connect a 9v battery thought the boards RAW and ground crazyness, it no longer works. The servos jump crazy twitch and the let will not light up. I though that maybe I was suppose to put the power to the 5V (even though I was told better and read not to) so I think I fried the boad cause now even when I put into computer the servos just cycle up and down random on with no push button input.

I have another board and can order another pro mini in the mean time I want to make sure I dont screw this one up can YOu please help me by reposting your most current code with the eye flicker and the wiring diagram for it.

I have gone though reading about 30 pages of the thread but I may have missed something with all the diff codes and conversations. So I just thought I would ask.

same as the previous answer: if you wanna follow my build, you have to use my setup and my code. If you wanna use xl97 approach, you have to use his setup and his code.

Hey guys figured it out thanks for your help memebr I looked at your code and xl97 code and the code on the first page and I was able to figure it out. I also when though all the post and found the schematics so I am good now I am using xl97 schematic and his code thank you both and thank you 7sinzz.

Last edited by a moderator:
learning eagle :) it's fun, a bit of a learning curve but this is what I've got so far. All my boards SHOULD be able to plug right in wish me luck when I hit order later this week LOL 1399761_10202070887517994_153630263_o.jpg

The goal for this board is to mount my Arduino Pro, Soundboard, Video Overlay board, and Audio Amp. as well as houses my voltage regulator, Capacitors and transistor for my eyes. It's going to be kind of a one stop shop so I don't have to solder separate wires and stuff on a perf board.

Hey guys!
Thanks for sharing this knowledge with the community.it helped me alot and saved me much time thinking about this theme. but i have a questions. when the servos reach their positions they start to buzz, so is it possible to fix this.

thanks for your help

Haven't been here in a while, everyone still seems to be playing nicely. Is there anything i still need to add to the first post?

Can someone tell me in which pages can i find xl97 and memebr's codes? I just passed through all the pages and didn't see it (or it didn't show up on my phone)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

when i push the button for the servos to turn up and for the lights to go off, that happens, and then after about 2 seconds the servos turn back down but the lights do not come on. it is basically resetting itself because i have to press the button again for the lights to come on...does anyone know what is going on and how i can fix it?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back