Iron Man Mk3 Helmet Build

Bendermite

I've been wanting to build a good quality iron man helmet for a while now, and quarantine has finally given me the time to finish. I 3d printed a master on my ender 3 and built 3 molds to cast the parts. I then painted everything with and Iwata Neo airbrush and createx colours. Overall I'm pretty happy with the project, the painting can use some work but in the right lighting I get the burgundy mk3 look I was going for. I'm now saving up for a Creality cr 10s pro v2 to hopefully cut down on gap filling for future projects.

Would appreciate any suggestions for what helmet to build next, ideally one I can cast with just one glove mold. Also any suggestions for a decent cheap spray gun I can use once it gets warm enough to paint outside again.

This is also my first post so apologies if this is in the wrong spot, just wanted to share!

Attachments

• IMG_4127.jpg
    IMG_4127.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 421
  • IMG_4133.jpg
    IMG_4133.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 332
  • IMG_4135.jpg
    IMG_4135.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 337
I've been wanting to build a good quality iron man helmet for a while now, and quarantine has finally given me the time to finish. I 3d printed a master on my ender 3 and built 3 molds to cast the parts. I then painted everything with and Iwata Neo airbrush and createx colours. Overall I'm pretty happy with the project, the painting can use some work but in the right lighting I get the burgundy mk3 look I was going for. I'm now saving up for a Creality cr 10s pro v2 to hopefully cut down on gap filling for future projects.

Would appreciate any suggestions for what helmet to build next, ideally one I can cast with just one glove mold. Also any suggestions for a decent cheap spray gun I can use once it gets warm enough to paint outside again.

This is also my first post so apologies if this is in the wrong spot, just wanted to share!
love the weathering, it definitly adds to the piece. out of curiosity if this was a meant for a single 1 off project, why mold and cast it as opposed to finishing the print itself?

love the weathering, it definitly adds to the piece. out of curiosity if this was a meant for a single 1 off project, why mold and cast it as opposed to finishing the print itself?
Sorry for the late reply I thought I had alerts on, but I did this more than anything for practice. This is the third helmet I painted and ultimately my best one and that way I didn't have to sand each one down in between and could focus on the finish. I also am interested in casting other helmets and the skills I learned with this project allowed me to 3D model and cast my own daft punk helmet earlier this year. I would love to get to the point where I could start modelling and casting my own resin kits to sell like Jsin or LE Props do, but so far my casting has a few too many defects for me to comfortably sell.

As a kind of luck thing too is that my experience with casting this gave me a chance to work in a prop design studio for a few weeks where I learned a tonne about how they build and weather props for movies.
May I ask, what file did you use?
I purchased the file from DO3d but like Kaane said there are some great file on thingiverse, if you want something more niche VEK3D on instagram has some awesome files for sale as well!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back