Iron man mark vii cardboard/celtic/InteFoam/AVENT Suit concept

Re: Iron man mark vii cardboard

this is truly awesome i can't wait to see more well done.. i'm wanting to try for the moving jet pack flaps on my MK VII also so will be interested to see where this goes

Upper Flaps

I went to Home Depot and got a few items for the upper flaps.

Pic 1
#8x32 12" Threaded Rod
#8x32 Machine Screw Nut
#8x32 Nylon Lock Nut

Pic 2
After experimenting the distance between the hinges I decided they should be 2" apart.

Pic 3
I also had to drill a separate hole in the Robart door hinge. First I used a 1/16 bit to create the pilot hole then I worked my way up to a 5/32 bit.

Pic 4
I removed the circular ball on one side of the push rod.

Pic 5
This is what my upper flap system looks like. I used the Nylon Lock Nut on outside and the Machine Screw Nut on the inside. I sandwiched the push rod in between 2 screws because it allows me to adjust the location later on.

Upper Flaps

To demonstrate how the system looks like. I temporarily attached it to the back with the servos exposed. Eventually the servos will be placed inside which gives it more leverage when it pushes the hinge upwards.

Pic 1
This is the closed state.

Pic 2
Closed state different angle

Pic 3
Open state.

Pic 4
Closed state different angle

I hope you get the idea.

Last edited:

this is looking really really good dude.. Also thank you very much as i'm hoping to to the same i'm following with great interest. Tho it's not the physics of it i think i'm going to have a problem with. The thought of the servo programming is scaring the hell out of me

No problem. As soon as I get all the hinges figured out I'll be able to go over the servo programming and parts you would need for the pololu maestro.

Here's a couple of shots of the Mark VII forearm firing a single rocket.

Last edited:
Servo

Here's all 4 servos in action. You'll notice that the servos aren't moving at the same time. That's because the 9v I'm using is old. The pololu is powered by the usb connected to the computer.

I still have an 1 channel left which I plan to connect lights to. Here's how the channels are broken down.

channel 0 - on off switch
channel 1 - servo 1 (Bottom left)
channel 2 - servo 2 (Top left)
channel 3 - servo 3 (Top right)
channel 4 - servo 4 (Bottom right)
channel 5 - empty

Last edited:

Here's the code which you can paste in the "Script" tab of the Pololu Maestro Control Center. This script will not work though until you set up a button or switch on your controller. The link below will teach you how to do that.

Pololu - 7.b. Attaching Servos and Peripherals

goto main_loop

sub button
0 get_position 500 less_than
return

sub wait_for_button_press
wait_for_button_open_10ms
wait_for_button_closed_10ms
return

sub wait_for_button_open_10ms
get_ms
begin

button
if
drop get_ms
else
get_ms over minus 10 greater_than
if drop return endif
endif
repeat

sub wait_for_button_closed_10ms
get_ms
begin
button
if
get_ms over minus 10 greater_than
if drop return endif
else
drop get_ms
endif
repeat

main_loop:
begin
2000 2000 8000 8000 frame
8000 8000 2000 2000 frame
repeat

sub frame
wait_for_button_press
1 servo 2 servo 3 servo 4 servo
return

Depending how you set up your servos, all you have to change are your Minimum and Maximum point ( I explained this more in the picture below)

Last edited:

Sorry I forgot to add these reference pics of the lower flaps in my earlier post.

Last edited:

Sorry I forgot to add these reference pics of the lower flaps in my earlier post.

So this is the best pic of the lower flaps:
iron-man-mark-vii-cardboard-im3.jpg-91660d1335071484

But ... I am not sure. I do think that there could be lower flaps but I cant really determine what shape they might have or what would be under them if they do exist.

The only thing that has me wondering about this picture and the scene that comes after it where he is flying towards the portal is that the light from the jetpack boosters is coming from under these flaps and in the following scenes there are a few frames that look like the flaps above the jetpack boosters are in the shape of the lower flaps and a few frames that show the shape of the top flaps. I think there was a mistake in the CGI work here. I just am trying to figure out if there are indeed lower flaps and if so are there also boosters under them? That doesn't seem likely though. I might just have to wait till I see the movie before I can decide for sure.

What are your thoughts on this?

This are the lights that I used in my Mark VI version. They're $6.99 each and fit's perfectly in the eye socket. All you have to do is build a casing. I've attached alligator clips to a 9v battery in the screen shot below.
42mm 8 1210 SMD LED Lighting with Hook - Automotive LED Lights - LEDLight

Lights for the palms are also powered by a 9v battery. I got these at DealExtreme $2.61 each. It took about 10 days to arrive. In one of the screen shot I've attached a mini slide switch next to the thumb for easy access.

I also had a question for you about the lights you used. I also used a G4 sized disc w/ 12 5050 LEDs for my palm lights on my Halloween costume and I tried to power it with a 9v but it was noticeably brighter when I used 12v. Did you check it w/ 12v to see the difference? If so, were the ones you got also brighter running on 12v? If not, I wonder if it was the difference in the number of LEDs on the disc that caused mine to dim. From what I know about LEDs, I don't think so. I think that it is the resistors that cause the dimming since the ones on the disc are designed for 12v.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back