Iron man mark vii cardboard/celtic/InteFoam/AVENT Suit concept

Re: Iron man mark vii cardboard

To me, it appears that the back has both flaps for rocket thrusters AND stabilizers.

Here it is clear that the top flaps have thrusters underneath them

View attachment 91802

But these top flaps from MasterLe's mark vii build are obviously the thruster flaps, however the BOTTOM flaps (should be the stabilizer flaps in the film) look alot like

View attachment 91803

These flaps from the trailer still
View attachment 91804

I also believe that the top and bottom flaps have some sort of booster/stabilizer attached to it. I've never seen all 4 go on at once and since there's no clear shot of the underlining I'm waiting for the movie or the art of the avengers to come out before I can continue to work on it.

darkside501st - I completely understand that since you're creating main pepakura file (which you're doing one hell of a job on) that you want to be absolutely certain before you model it.

I haven't tried a 12v battery on the palm lights since the a new 9v was bright enough for me even though it was also rated to run at 12v. I did notice some dimming on 1 - 2 LEDS when I connected it to a used 9v battery.

jackieisrockin - that's a nice shot of the laser, I haven't seen that before. I've been debating whether or not I want the forearm weapons to function.

Some more bottom flaps pics attatched.

Last edited:

Yes, those are some images from the scene I was talking about... you can see that the shape of the flaps is not the same as the upper flaps but the afterburner jets are shooting out from under them. I just don't see why they would have four boosters which leads me to believe that this could be a mistake in the CGI one way or another. It is not like this would be the first movie that made a mistake like this. It happens all too often but these mistakes are not usually noticeable unless you are scrutinizing the images frame by frame like we are. ;)

Now that there's more and more images of the Mark VII appearing I had to make some adjustment to the suit. Since mine was based on the Kotobukiya sculpt the suit wasn't exactly final. I'm also replacing the pololu 6 channel to a 12 channel version to control the extra servos.

Pic 1 - Originally a panel raised along the shoulder part but after seeing the missile compartment and the avengers wallpaper I made it flushed.

Pic 2 - This is how I'm going to make the missile compartment open. I cut out a couple of hinges from some left over Sintra Plastic. This is still an idea but once the micro servos come in I can fully test it.

I may have to make adjustment to the hinge but I'll post it when I get it right.

Pic 4 - In the extended avengers clip the silver portion above the boosters also opens to reveal extra missiles, but since I'm using that part to connect my flap hinge to I had to leave it alone.

Last edited:

I've attached the servos to the back to see if I'll run into any problems later on. I had to adjust the servo horn so that the bottom flaps stayed flat but it never got in the way or prevented the top flaps from closing. I'm thinking about adding magnets to the tips to hold them in place.

For now I'll leave it like this until I see the movie and I'll start working on the missile compartment.

I have a Tenergy 3300 mAh 6v running the 4 servos and a 9v powering the Pololu. I tried running the servos and the pololu on the Tenergy alone but it didn't work. The pololu needed a separate power supply.

Tenergy battery
http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-3300m...BSKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335857054&sr=8-1

Last edited:

Awesome! I love the missile compartment. That movie looks great. Are those servos going to be able to handle the finished weight of the flaps? I can't remember if you said how you planned on finishing the suit but I assume you are going to fiberglass it and smooth it out with bondo. It is looking so cool, keep it up.

Thanks, yes I am going to fiberglass and bondo it. I'm also concerned about the servo strenght but also stripping the gears. It's rated at 3.7kg / 8 lbs of torque so I think it should hold.

Very interesting thanks for sharing. My first iron man suit I build it with foam but I couldn't get it ridged enough so I scrapped it. With this I'll definitely look into it again.

Last edited:

Very interesting thanks for sharing. My first iron man suit I build it with foam but I couldn't get it ridged enough so I scrapped it. With this I'll definitely look into it again.
I was thinking about this cardboard build he says on the video it also works on card and it would be lighter than fiberglass and filler so your flaps would still work ok

After watching the video I did some more research on the smooth on 65d and decided to give it a shot. I'm very hopeful this will work on cardboard. I went ahead and got the 1 gallon instead of the trial version because of the cost/lbs ratio and also I can use it on other projects.

When it comes in about a week or so I can test it out. Thanks again for sharing that link.

Last edited:

This is a fantastic build! thanks so much for sharing what you use and how to set it up. You have just solved my servo problem in my helm!! Thanks so much Dfx13!!!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back