Iron man mark vii cardboard/celtic/InteFoam/AVENT Suit concept

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by dfx13, Mar 31, 2012.

1. dfx13

dfx13 Member

I've been following a lot of great iron man builds here for a while and I thought I'd throw mine in as well. This is my Mark VII suit I created in cardboard using the kotobukiya sculpture as reference. I plan to resin and fiberglass it later once all the pieces are done. I also have a Mark VI suit I created last year using sintra.

Attached Files:

• 7i.JPG
      7i.JPG
      File size:
      2.9 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. Zabana

Zabana Well-Known Member

Re: Iron man mark vii cardboard

Man this is amazing!!!

And you builded it just with reference pics and no peping at all :O!!!!

3. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Thanks, your helmet posts actually inspired me to build my previous suit all in sintra.

4. Zabana

Zabana Well-Known Member

Wow! I was an inspiration :p

5. Shade

Shade Well-Known Member

You are a steely eyed missile man dfx. Keep up the great work, it looks amazing so far!

6. Rysjin7717

Rysjin7717 Well-Known Member

Dfx, bra that is some extremely detailed work /w/ cardboard bra. Free handed as well awesome build that sets th' bar for cardboard builds.:cool

7. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

That is quite possibly one of the coolest iron man related things I have seen on here. Bravo......Bravo.

8. Tigerblood

Tigerblood Well-Known Member

where's the "like" button?

9. Lord Magneto

Lord Magneto Well-Known Member

gah * that is seriously nice.

10. animefan

animefan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

that is sick man, pro grade build

11. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Thanks a lot. My next step is to integrate servos to make the flaps in the back function.

I also want to share a few items that may be helpful to those starting their first iron man build.

This are the lights that I used in my Mark VI version. They're $6.99 each and fit's perfectly in the eye socket. All you have to do is build a casing. I've attached alligator clips to a 9v battery in the screen shot below.
    42mm 8 1210 SMD LED Lighting with Hook - Automotive LED Lights - LEDLight

Lights for the palms are also powered by a 9v battery. I got these at DealExtreme $2.61 each. It took about 10 days to arrive. In one of the screen shot I've attached a mini slide switch next to the thumb for easy access.

2W 9-SMD LED 126-Lumen 6500K White Dome Light (DC 12V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Lastly I added a mini fan I got from Radio Shack and mounted in in the face plate for cooling. I wired it to the 9v battery running the lights.

12. Rysjin7717

Rysjin7717 Well-Known Member

I'd like ta see pics of build progress ta see how your method works th' finished product in cardboard is amazing ta say th' least care ta share how you did it bra?:cool

13. dfx13

dfx13 Member

I'll add progress pictures as I go along but here are some of the older pics. I don't have any of the legs and forearm progress though.

14. DavidFrommi18

DavidFrommi18 Active Member

Ohhh....... So frickin awesome....... amazing work mate =)

15. made007

made007 Sr Member

Thats the coolest thing ive ever seen!, out of carddboard simply amazing!

16. vaderehl

vaderehl New Member

Thats so kool great work

17. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Jet pack parts

My parts came in and it's now time for me to work on the jet pack. Here's a list of the things I'll be using. I still have to modify the door hinges so that I can attach the push rod to it.

4 sets of Robart door hinge:
    Amazon.com: Robart Manufacturing Large Door Hinges: Toys & Games

UPDATE: I'LL BE USING THE THREADED ROD INSTEAD (SEE PAGE 3)
    2 sets of Traxxas push rod (only one set is shown in the picture below)
    Amazon.com: Traxxas Pushrod, Steel: Revo: Toys & Games

4 Hitec HS-322HD deluxe
    Amazon.com: Hitec 33322S HS-322HD Standard Deluxe Karbonite Gear Servo: Toys & Games

UPDATE: I'M NOW USING A 12 CHANNEL POLOLU MICRO MAESTRO
    The 6 channel still works but I wanted the extra channels for later on.

1 pololu micro maestro 6 channel USB servo controller
    Amazon.com: Micro Maestro 6-channel USB Servo Controller: Electronics

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  18. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Jet pack

Before I start cutting I had to make sure that when I remove the flaps the existing back piece wouldn't collapse due to lack of structure. I added extra cardboard to support the back piece. The two pictures below is a before and after shot.

19. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Jet pack

The cardboard support worked and the suit kept it's structure. I was then able to cut the flaps out.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  20. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Jet pack

From the screenshots I took of the avengers trailer this is what I think the flaps looks like but I could be completely wrong. Although the bottom flaps are straight in the pictures I think they actually open up in an angle. For now this is a quick mock up.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  21. superweasle

superweasle New Member

Love this build; great job!

22. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  23. NelBearPig

NelBearPig Member

Just wow!

24. CardBoard King

CardBoard King Active Member

Now that is what I call recycling :)

25. Bugs

Bugs New Member

this is truly awesome i can't wait to see more well done.. i'm wanting to try for the moving jet pack flaps on my MK VII also so will be interested to see where this goes

26. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Upper Flaps

I went to Home Depot and got a few items for the upper flaps.

Pic 1
    #8x32 12" Threaded Rod
    #8x32 Machine Screw Nut
    #8x32 Nylon Lock Nut

Pic 2
    After experimenting the distance between the hinges I decided they should be 2" apart.

Pic 3
    I also had to drill a separate hole in the Robart door hinge. First I used a 1/16 bit to create the pilot hole then I worked my way up to a 5/32 bit.

Pic 4
    I removed the circular ball on one side of the push rod.

Pic 5
    This is what my upper flap system looks like. I used the Nylon Lock Nut on outside and the Machine Screw Nut on the inside. I sandwiched the push rod in between 2 screws because it allows me to adjust the location later on.

27. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Upper Flaps

To demonstrate how the system looks like. I temporarily attached it to the back with the servos exposed. Eventually the servos will be placed inside which gives it more leverage when it pushes the hinge upwards.

Pic 1
    This is the closed state.

Pic 2
    Closed state different angle

Pic 3
    Open state.

Pic 4
    Closed state different angle

I hope you get the idea.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  28. Bugs

Bugs New Member

this is looking really really good dude.. Also thank you very much as i'm hoping to to the same i'm following with great interest. Tho it's not the physics of it i think i'm going to have a problem with. The thought of the servo programming is scaring the hell out of me

29. dfx13

dfx13 Member

No problem. As soon as I get all the hinges figured out I'll be able to go over the servo programming and parts you would need for the pololu maestro.

30. Bugs

Bugs New Member

Thank you. Again you are a great help

31. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Here's a couple of shots of the Mark VII forearm firing a single rocket.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  32. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Servo

Here's all 4 servos in action. You'll notice that the servos aren't moving at the same time. That's because the 9v I'm using is old. The pololu is powered by the usb connected to the computer.

I still have an 1 channel left which I plan to connect lights to. Here's how the channels are broken down.

channel 0 - on off switch
    channel 1 - servo 1 (Bottom left)
    channel 2 - servo 2 (Top left)
    channel 3 - servo 3 (Top right)
    channel 4 - servo 4 (Bottom right)
    channel 5 - empty

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  33. Bugs

Bugs New Member

that's looking great dude it's gonna be awesome when it's all together

34. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Here's the code which you can paste in the "Script" tab of the Pololu Maestro Control Center. This script will not work though until you set up a button or switch on your controller. The link below will teach you how to do that.

Pololu - 7.b. Attaching Servos and Peripherals

goto main_loop

sub button
    0 get_position 500 less_than
    return

sub wait_for_button_press
    wait_for_button_open_10ms
    wait_for_button_closed_10ms
    return

sub wait_for_button_open_10ms
    get_ms
    begin

button
    if
    drop get_ms
    else
    get_ms over minus 10 greater_than
    if drop return endif
    endif
    repeat

sub wait_for_button_closed_10ms
    get_ms
    begin
    button
    if
    get_ms over minus 10 greater_than
    if drop return endif
    else
    drop get_ms
    endif
    repeat

main_loop:
    begin
    2000 2000 8000 8000 frame
    8000 8000 2000 2000 frame
    repeat

sub frame
    wait_for_button_press
    1 servo 2 servo 3 servo 4 servo
    return

Depending how you set up your servos, all you have to change are your Minimum and Maximum point ( I explained this more in the picture below)

35. Bugs

Bugs New Member

thank you so much dude

36. longlenium

longlenium New Member

omg ..... great stuff... looking forward for more update

37. Izam

Izam New Member

awesome man...

38. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Sorry I forgot to add these reference pics of the lower flaps in my earlier post.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  39. jonmelton

jonmelton New Member

Looks amazing!

40. darkside501st

darkside501st Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So this is the best pic of the lower flaps:
    [​IMG]

But ... I am not sure. I do think that there could be lower flaps but I cant really determine what shape they might have or what would be under them if they do exist.

The only thing that has me wondering about this picture and the scene that comes after it where he is flying towards the portal is that the light from the jetpack boosters is coming from under these flaps and in the following scenes there are a few frames that look like the flaps above the jetpack boosters are in the shape of the lower flaps and a few frames that show the shape of the top flaps. I think there was a mistake in the CGI work here. I just am trying to figure out if there are indeed lower flaps and if so are there also boosters under them? That doesn't seem likely though. I might just have to wait till I see the movie before I can decide for sure.

What are your thoughts on this?

I also had a question for you about the lights you used. I also used a G4 sized disc w/ 12 5050 LEDs for my palm lights on my Halloween costume and I tried to power it with a 9v but it was noticeably brighter when I used 12v. Did you check it w/ 12v to see the difference? If so, were the ones you got also brighter running on 12v? If not, I wonder if it was the difference in the number of LEDs on the disc that caused mine to dim. From what I know about LEDs, I don't think so. I think that it is the resistors that cause the dimming since the ones on the disc are designed for 12v.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  41. jackieisrockin

jackieisrockin Well-Known Member

To me, it appears that the back has both flaps for rocket thrusters AND stabilizers.

Here it is clear that the top flaps have thrusters underneath them

View attachment 91802

But these top flaps from MasterLe's mark vii build are obviously the thruster flaps, however the BOTTOM flaps (should be the stabilizer flaps in the film) look alot
    View attachment 91803

View attachment 91804

42. jackieisrockin

To me, it appears that the back has both flaps for rocket thrusters AND stabilizers.

Here it is clear that the top flaps have thrusters underneath them

View attachment 91802

But these top flaps from MasterLe's mark vii build are obviously the thruster flaps, however the BOTTOM flaps (should be the stabilizer flaps in the film) look alot like

View attachment 91803

These flaps from the trailer still
    View attachment 91804

43. jackieisrockin

Aah! Sorry for double post! The first post was an accident pay attention to the second one please people :)

44. dfx13

dfx13 Member

I also believe that the top and bottom flaps have some sort of booster/stabilizer attached to it. I've never seen all 4 go on at once and since there's no clear shot of the underlining I'm waiting for the movie or the art of the avengers to come out before I can continue to work on it.

darkside501st - I completely understand that since you're creating main pepakura file (which you're doing one hell of a job on) that you want to be absolutely certain before you model it.

I haven't tried a 12v battery on the palm lights since the a new 9v was bright enough for me even though it was also rated to run at 12v. I did notice some dimming on 1 - 2 LEDS when I connected it to a used 9v battery.

jackieisrockin - that's a nice shot of the laser, I haven't seen that before. I've been debating whether or not I want the forearm weapons to function.

Some more bottom flaps pics attatched.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  45. darkside501st

darkside501st Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, those are some images from the scene I was talking about... you can see that the shape of the flaps is not the same as the upper flaps but the afterburner jets are shooting out from under them. I just don't see why they would have four boosters which leads me to believe that this could be a mistake in the CGI one way or another. It is not like this would be the first movie that made a mistake like this. It happens all too often but these mistakes are not usually noticeable unless you are scrutinizing the images frame by frame like we are. ;)

46. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  47. dfx13

dfx13 Member

deleted post

48. dfx13

dfx13 Member

Now that there's more and more images of the Mark VII appearing I had to make some adjustment to the suit. Since mine was based on the Kotobukiya sculpt the suit wasn't exactly final. I'm also replacing the pololu 6 channel to a 12 channel version to control the extra servos.

Pic 1 - Originally a panel raised along the shoulder part but after seeing the missile compartment and the avengers wallpaper I made it flushed.

Pic 2 - This is how I'm going to make the missile compartment open. I cut out a couple of hinges from some left over Sintra Plastic. This is still an idea but once the micro servos come in I can fully test it.

I may have to make adjustment to the hinge but I'll post it when I get it right.

Pic 4 - In the extended avengers clip the silver portion above the boosters also opens to reveal extra missiles, but since I'm using that part to connect my flap hinge to I had to leave it alone.

49. dfx13

dfx13 Member

I've attached the servos to the back to see if I'll run into any problems later on. I had to adjust the servo horn so that the bottom flaps stayed flat but it never got in the way or prevented the top flaps from closing. I'm thinking about adding magnets to the tips to hold them in place.

For now I'll leave it like this until I see the movie and I'll start working on the missile compartment.

I have a Tenergy 3300 mAh 6v running the 4 servos and a 9v powering the Pololu. I tried running the servos and the pololu on the Tenergy alone but it didn't work. The pololu needed a separate power supply.

Tenergy battery
    http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-3300m...BSKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335857054&sr=8-1

50. haldir

haldir New Member

awesome work !!:love Tony Stark would be proud of you !