Iron man mark vii cardboard/celtic/InteFoam/AVENT Suit concept

Re: Iron man mark vii cardboard

nice work! and you inspired me to how can move the flap of my new suit!
thanks for sharing!!

Its great the job you are doing here.
About your Mark VII suit i hope u can help me.
I would like to know if you can helpme out with the files to print on pepakura for the Mark VII suit.
I want to doit for my 6 years old son, an i dont have much experience on desing it.
Thank a lot and see you soon.
God Bless You.

This is incredible work. I'm floored with the attention to detail and the integration of the servos... I still can't believe that's cardboard lol

Dfx13, are you still building this brah??? I haven't seen an update for a while hope your in good spirits and we'll keep up th' good work brah.:cool:cool

Hey Rysjin7717, I'm still working on the Mark VII but not with cardboard anymore. I applied the Smooth On 65d but it wasn't giving me the result I wanted. In short adding the Smooth On 65d backed with Fiberglass and adding Body filler on top of it was too time consuming for me.

Earlier this month went back to building the Mark VII using Sintra/Celtec Expanded PVC which I used to make the Mark VI last year.

Sintra/Celtec Expanded PVC Sheet 3mm or 1/8"

Pros: Fully Ridged, Sandable, Sharp clean lines, Smooth, Bendable using a heat gun and if done correctly you reduce the amount of body filler needed to 5-10% and just like foam building you just have to make 1 side and flip the template over to make the other side.

Cons: 3mm of plastic is tough to cut even with a box cutter, Fragile if dropped. I'd advise applying fiberglass for support.

Pic 1: Where I stopped with the cardboard build

Pic 2: My Mark VI suit using Sintra/Celtec Expanded PVC

Pic 3: 4 9x12 foam sheets equals 1 sheet of Sintra/Celtec

Pic 4: The left sheet created the front and the right sheet created the back of the Mark VI. The Sintra/Celtec I ordered was for 8 pieces at 18"x24" for $22 + $20 shipping (expensive but it's still cheap all things considered) + tax = $43. That's $1.34 per 9"x12" shipped.

Not including the glue the front and back piece cost $10.75 to build and it's ready to be painted.

I'll go in depth about the materials, how to use it and where to get it in a week or so.

Last edited:

Dfx13, srry ta hear that about you not gettin' th' results that ya hoped for. However I would think that /w/ smooth- on that it wouldn't need alot of body filler because you built all of th' details directly into cardboard it would seem that you wouldn't have ta sand back alot of details /w/ filler. I would like ta see what you can do /w/ sintra be sure to take alot of WIP pics . Keep up th' good work brah:cry:cool2 cents:cool

Yeah such a shame you are starting all over again. You actually inspired me to do a cardboard version of this armor. Only difference is that i am using darksides templates for the foam files on cardboard and do the flexible bits with foam for added mobility.

Could you perhaps make a small tutorial (and shopping list)on how you are going to programm your servo's and lights?

And dude, you should totally use that chest that you still have there(!). It looks so sweet.

sjorsjo91 - It does suck starting over but I gained experience working with cardboard and I can use that suit as the base structure for future scratch builds.

The servo programming will remain same as the one I posted earlier for the flaps but I haven't had time to work on the lights yet. I'm actually busy working on the forearm missile compartment. It looks promising, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to hide all the components in such a small space.

AH studio - This time around I did keep all my templates but since it's a scratch build it's not going to be tight fit and may require modifications along the way. I'll post what I have by this weekend.

I quickly put this together to show how I'm going to approach the forearm missile. For this demonstration I'm only using one hinge. The final version I'll have a second hinge on the other side for balance and support but only 1 will be powered by the micro servo.

I've attached a picture of how the hinge is put together and also a video on how it works. I'm using the slider in the Pololu Maestro Control Center to control the servo that's why it's not moving smoothly in the video.

The second video I just taped the forearm cover on top of the hinge to show what it would look like.

You can use the same script on page 2 and just replace the bottom lines to this since you're only using 1 servo. You may need to remove the word "frame" if it doesn't work. It's late and I'll edit this post once I have time to double check it.

main_loop:
begin
2000 frame
8000 frame
repeat

sub frame
wait_for_button_press
1 servo
return

Last edited:

Looks great. However the entire arm cover moves on the clip with the cover on. Isn't the raised section near the elbow not the only moving part?

Hey sjorsjo91 I think I know the part your talking about. The cover on top of the forearm is the only piece that moves on mine. The missile looks like it pops up a little when it opens but I'll just make a base for it to sit on and save myself the headache.

Here's my arm right now. It still needs a bit of work but it looks a lot better than my cardboard version.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back