Iron Man Mark 20 Python Build (WIP)

taibhse

OK so this is my first ever endeavor into foam prop / costume building, I'm a final year Product/Industrial Design student with a little too much free time on his hands. I am building the suit using EVA (assuming eva) Camping mats and floor mats, the aim is to have this finished in time for my courses end of year show. I am starting this post to help keep track of my progress and maybe, hopefully get some good feedback and suggestions from the community.

Now without further ado, here are some pics of the suit as I progressed to where I am at now, please not some suit details are missing pending being engraved into the pieces and the shoulder pieces need to be rebuilt as I used default mark 7 shoulders when it looks like the mark 20 is using a different style.

003.jpeg002.jpeg001.jpeg000.jpeg008.jpeg005.jpeg006.jpeg009.jpeg007.jpeg004.jpegView attachment 012.JPG014.jpg015.jpeg016.jpeg

You are a natural! The python is rare. Keep us posted.

lil'Gee

Thanks, I havent seen it built yet, so wanted to create it as my first attempt creating my own armour, I always wanted a full suit to display. I'll keep everyone posted, the only area so far I'm concerned with is resin coating or adding a really smooth coating to the foam to get a gloss finish, I've been looking into smooth on resins but don't know which product to go for, I was considering tarbender.

I have used different products from smoothon and a uk maker. I recommend something sold for rotocasting, as they self level to a degree, e.g. Smooth Cast 65d. The product should be fast setting as moving around major parts for several minutes can va a pain. Be prepared to have more resin on the floor than on the current layer. One last consideration, foam is easy as it is flexible. Rigid armor doesn't tolerate approximate design or you well pay it with drastically reduced mobility.

lil'Gee

Well said,G.
Tai,another option I would consider is a method that allows both strength and flexibility to your design:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=StDwK-tKUuo[/video]

I hope that helps

I have used different products from smoothon and a uk maker. I recommend something sold for rotocasting, as they self level to a degree, e.g. Smooth Cast 65d. The product should be fast setting as moving around major parts for several minutes can va a pain. Be prepared to have more resin on the floor than on the current layer. One last consideration, foam is easy as it is flexible. Rigid armor doesn't tolerate approximate design or you well pay it with drastically reduced mobility.

lil'Gee

Thanks for the advice, I've been looking into smooth cast, using either tarbender, xtc-3d or smooth cast 65d, overall the armour will be more a display piece rather than something I wear but being able to wear it and not have to worry about cracks and chipping would be a bonus. I was wondering also, would using smooth cast 65d inside a bedroom (effectively) be safe. My current college accomodation doesnt afford me a shed or ability to work in a back yard so I've been building the suit in my room. If the pieces where left to dry in the room overnight, would I have to worry about any fumes or toxic effects given I'd be sleeping in close proximity to the drying pieces?

No, and xtc is worse. Respiratory equipment and a well ventilated area. Outside is best. First cure is a matter of minutes. Long cure, you can suspend the pieces at your window overnight. Rain will not affect them.

lil'Gee

No, and xtc is worse. Respiratory equipment and a well ventilated area. Outside is best. First cure is a matter of minutes. Long cure, you can suspend the pieces at your window overnight. Rain will not affect them.

lil'Gee

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into getting 65d then from a supplier in Ireland, hopefully I can source a trial kit to carry out some testing.

I love seeing any suit from the house party protocol, this is looking great so far!

Thanks, I'm really hoping this will be the first suit of many, I'm looking into ways to produce suits faster after this one is done and try and get a collection done up for display. I'm currently working on the shoulders, just waiting for some 3d printed parts to expand the mannequins arms to be able to hold them, the female is quite slim inside the suit.

View attachment DSC_1248.JPGView attachment DSC_1247.JPG

So a quick update on this for everyone, college has my production schedule held up but I'm back to making pieces, elbow pieces done and working on biceps at the moment, finally received 3d printed files I needed to space the mannequins arms out too to fit the suit better. Shoulders have been fixed up a little too but are not 100% accurate to pictures I've found, those I plan on fixing up one I have the arms built. Still working on sourcing resin to Ireland to be able to coat the foam,

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back