Iracel's Definitive Classic Spiderman

Best week ever. Well, not ever, but in a long while. I live in Cincinnati, and all this week we've had an awesome cold front saving me from school. Near the end of February too, when I thought we just wouldn't have extra days of school. I haven't had school this whole week due to copious amounts of snow and blow zero temperatures. That means waaaaayyyy more time for the costume. And exercising. And thinking about doing homework. So, lets talk about this progress.

Most of the time spent on this costume is waiting for paint to dry. Literally, just waiting. I mean, I'm productive and do other things. Not like I sit there and wait. But since I've last updated this thread, I cut the frame of one of the lenses because it was curved when the other was straight. Trying to make it as symmetrical as possible. I also painted the neck, which was really difficult because I stitched the front of the neck very crudely to make it tighter, which threw off the uniformity of the fabric and thus, the webbing. It's not insanely noticeable, but it does bother me. There's always something, right?
I also painted the red part of the shoulders and the back. I finished adding the blue to the arms, which is awesome. But also, after heavy consideration, I decided to add blue strips down the belt. I've done this twice in the past, and so good reason. It's the best of both worlds. You get the slimming effect with the classic look of the belt.

(Details aren't drawn in yet)
bXdnRWDl.jpg

dtNWKXpl.jpg

As you can also see in the second picture that I painted the pattern over the blue. At first I made the hexagons too big, so I had to remove them and redo all of it. Now, I have a strategy for how I'm going to do this. I'm applying the pattern at different angles, and here, in this crude drawing, you can see my layout.

EZvT6LYl.jpg

I'm almost done putting in a new pocket (looks much better) and the crotch zipper. Now, the zippers are too small for my body, so I'll have to find a way to make it work. When I bend over the zipper heads become as undone as they have to in the back. I'll figure it out, of course. Next time I'll just have to make the zippers longer, because this arrangement is definitely still ace. More coming very soon. :D

How appropriate that you used Donald Glover. xD

So, I've been painting. Again, waiting for it to dry is what takes so long. But really, not much to say. I stretched out the fabric a bit when I applied the pattern, and have planned out where the embroidery lines will go. This zipper arrangement though, it keeps splitting in the back. Not where I can't unzip it, but that gap where the zippers all meet gets bigger when I bend over. I figured out that it's because the zipper running down the butt constricts it from stretching. So what I'm going to do is stretch the fabric out as much as I can and then glue it onto the zipper. Then sew it in. That way there's more fabric not attached to the zipper and is free to stretch, and the zipper isn't hindering fabric that could be stretching from doing so. I'm in no rush necessarily, because I have until early June. But I also want to do this Miles/Gwen costume.

The pattern color is a light black that shimmers a steel blue in certain lighting. Hard to tell in this picture here. And also, the muscle shading is a bit strong, but when I wash the costume the excess dye will come out and it will lighten up a bit. I used Dye-Na-Flow, by the way. Perfect for spandex.

And the crotch zipper is a bit too far out, so I'll definitely have to re do it and move it inward.

CgXi3jtl.jpg

rFBE3WHl.jpg

2spHG3Tl.jpg

TyDpr1el.jpg

So I just might get another snow day tomorrow, kids. :D Which means more work. So far I've painted a lot of the red part on the right arm, fixed the butt zipper, and am almost done painting a lot of the blue parts. (minus the middle of the back and the butt, which will be a different color and pattern. A dark blue and the chain link superman pattern is what I'm thinking. If anyone could post a cool buglike geometric design that would be fantastic. I can't really find many good ones that compliment the hexagons.
I messed up the pattern of the legs. :0 I made the hexagons too big and realized halfway through and tried to make them smaller, but it just doesn't look right to me. Really fudged it there. :/ But whateva. Sorry for the late update and lack of pictures. But I took these for someone! :p

990G1nNl.jpg

6rUtn9el.jpg

Does anyone have a fool proof way of making good back spiders? I've gone through a lot trouble trying to make this back spider symmetrical and smooth. What I did was cut a spider out of a folded in half piece of paper. I laid it out on the back and traced around it, but problem was that when laid out the blue fabric wasn't flat. I did the best with what I could, but I don't like how it all turned out. D: I painted on the spider and tried my best to make the paint uniform so that when it dried there wouldn't be dips and crevices in there. After a lot of redos, this is what it ended up looking like.

Wi1LnFyl.jpg

But when I held it up in front of the mirror I couldn't see the flaws. I suppose when you're hunched over the costume you see all of the flaws that others might not. But I want it to be perfect, like a movie. :0 It's quite a shame, but maybe it'll look better when I actually put it on. Like it'll stretch out or something. Again, if someone can direct me to a tutorial or something on how to make a smooth back spider.

make a stencil from the back, cut the spidey shape out of a foam, lay down the foam to the costume, pin it on, then fill the inside with your choice of paint, and then, smooth the paint by using a straiht object of some sorts and then let it dry. Finally peel it off and you should have a smoot spider design all around. That's how Grampsee did it, and it turned out great

Just hop on over to his thread, it's in the first page http://www.therpf.com/f78/grampsees-amazing-spider-man-2-build-224605/

make a stencil from the back, cut the spidey shape out of a foam, lay down the foam to the costume, pin it on, then fill the inside with your choice of paint, and then, smooth the paint by using a straiht object of some sorts and then let it dry. Finally peel it off and you should have a smoot spider design all around. That's how Grampsee did it, and it turned out great

Just hop on over to his thread, it's in the first page http://www.therpf.com/f78/grampsees-amazing-spider-man-2-build-224605/

Oh my gosh, I just tested this out on separate fabric and it worked amazingly. Dang. It's probablyto late to uproot this spider and re do it, but I'm strongly considering it. At least I can use it on the Miles/Gwen one.

Well, I totally uprooted and redid the back spider with A screen printing method. Credit to Grampsee and Mystery for making me have this realization. I did a test to see if I liked the results, and safe to say, they were awesome. What I did was cut out a shape in some scrap urethane sheet, pour some of my paint into the shape that was laying on another, and smoothing it over with a piece of paper. Poor mans screen printing essentially. :p Problem was, after I smoothed it over, I sprayed it with iridescent and pulled the stencil off, but the iridescent spray trapped the moisture in and stopped the latex from drying. But hey, that's why you test.

smoothed over
8Yp5DTVl.jpg

final product
4vSzDNll.jpg

So, I did that about four days ago, but it was hard because the back actually doesn't lay out to be even. I'll definitely use this on my Miles/Gwen build (which I'm working on now)
But I think it worked out well. I'll be spraying it with the iridescent spray tomorrow. In other news, I've also been painting the other arm and will stitch the blue arm fabric down, do that muscle shading, and paint it. I'm taking many good pictures now, but when I see myself in the mirror I legitimately feel powerful. :0 It's dangerous in a way.

oJB6pbHl.jpg

kbItjhAl.jpg

W2wGqpJl.jpg

Excuse the splotches you see here. I'll fix those.
4kL9Wq4l.jpg

I'll be painting over the zippers too, so they blend in with the fabric.

Last edited:
So, My latex finally came in the mail so I could paint the back and butt a different color. (very dark blue that isn't iridescent). All in all, here's the costume so far.

nP2f2H1l.jpg

ZduXiYvl.jpg

K4oKXYfl.jpg

Man, I have a lot of embroidery work to do...

Last edited:
And one more picture no one asked for. :p

bB6hoYNl.jpg

Just last night I painted the butt and am doing the back of the right of the belt. Then I'll paint the gloves and the boots. Also have to glue the left frame to the mask (I redid it) and make some little webshooter nozzles. Attach the boots to shoes, do all the embroidery, spray everything with protective gloss coating, and I'm done. :D Except for a few stitching fixes on zippers, like how I have to redo the crotch zipper so it's closer in. Then as JayZ said, it's on to the next. (I already designed the spider and everything for the next one. :p Excited.

And one more picture no one asked for. :p

http://i.imgur.com/bB6hoYNl.jpg

Just last night I painted the butt and am doing the back of the right of the belt. Then I'll paint the gloves and the boots. Also have to glue the left frame to the mask (I redid it) and make some little webshooter nozzles. Attach the boots to shoes, do all the embroidery, spray everything with protective gloss coating, and I'm done. :D Except for a few stitching fixes on zippers, like how I have to redo the crotch zipper so it's closer in. Then as JayZ said, it's on to the next. (I already designed the spider and everything for the next one. :p Excited.

This is really and truly incredible, man.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back