Interstellar (Post-release)

At least the Philae probe part of Rosetta is down!!!!!! Now that is a fantastic achievement!!! And its streaming data. No worm or plot holes as yet!!

Had to smile at that new infogram. Any film director who produces a film that needs a flowchart like that to explain the story REALLY needs to think about that screenplay. But like you said its great that such a film like this at least promotes such interest and discussion about space and physics. I really hope it will inspire some kid, probably taken by their parents to see it, to do something outstanding in spaceflight in the future. So we move forward into a more interesting world and universe.

Last edited:
*read a review that gave away the "Plan B" mission details regarding Anne Hathaway's character*

Geez, and I thought describing her as the film's punching bag was bad.

At least the Philae probe part of Rosetta is down!!!!!! Now that is a fantastic achievement!!! And its streaming data. No worm or plot holes as yet!!

I think that would be a pretty good plot device for space travel. Need to save fuel to get farther? Hitch a ride on a comet, go into hypersleep, and hop off when the comet is at it's farthest point in its ellipse. How fast does a comet travel? I imagine they must move pretty fast... no?

Either way... it would be cool.

Saw it last night on a conventional screen, not Imax. The picture was soft and grainy at times so not sure how it looked on Imax, maybe the projector in my cinema wasn't the best although I know Nolan shot this on film.

I liked it overall. I have been looking forward to it and it was definitely my most anticipated movie for the year.
Some of the visuals were wonderful. Loved the robots.
While I didn't love Zimmer's score on this one, it felt appropriate and delivered the right dramatic wallop to what was being shown on screen.
The volume was pushing my tolerance levels but it was ok, just hard to hear some pertinent instances of dialogue above all the din.

I won't pick apart any of the physics, I went into it purely for entertainment.
What did pull me out of the movie at times was the editing.
The rapid fire sequence of finding NORAD and then almost instantaneously launching into space with a bare bones briefing, no depiction of training, space craft familiarisation etc. just seemed to happen way too quick and was hard to swallow - bit like a chunk of the film was missing. It happened elsewhere too but that section in particular made me think what just happened?

Felt the acting was fine, there was a nice emotional weight carried throughout the film. Although I found Matt Damon's appearance a little unconvincing, possibly an unknown would have gelled better.

I think it's a film that needs to be digested and will reward repeated viewing...after giving the ears a rest.

I think that would be a pretty good plot device for space travel. Need to save fuel to get farther? Hitch a ride on a comet, go into hypersleep, and hop off when the comet is at it's farthest point in its ellipse. How fast does a comet travel? I imagine they must move pretty fast... no?

Either way... it would be cool.

Comets are nearly all from the Oort cloud and do not typically have hyperbolic trajectories, so they wouldn't escape the sun's gravity.

Comets are nearly all from the Oort cloud and do not typically have hyperbolic trajectories, so they wouldn't escape the sun's gravity.

Exactly my point. They're always making their rounds... like a bus... that a ship could land on and ride to it's furthest point before make its return.
Now I don't know what kind of stuff goes on on the surface of a comet that might be an issue for anyone or anything sitting on it during it's course of travel.

"Comets have a wide range of orbital periods, ranging from several years to several millions of years. Short-period comets originate in the Kuiper belt or its associated scattered disc, which lie beyond the orbit of Neptune. Longer-period comets are thought to originate in the Oort cloud, a spherical cloud of icy bodies extending from outside the Kuiper Belt to halfway to the next nearest star. Long-period comets are directed towards the Sun from the Oort cloud by gravitational perturbations caused by passing stars and the galactic tide. Hyperbolic comets may pass once through the inner Solar System before being flung out to interstellar space along hyperbolic trajectories."

Pick one. Its been used a few times in sci fi stories over the decades. I can remember a story where a stranded deep space manned mission watched helplessly as" limited" nuclear war destroyed the Earth then decided (over time and as supplies ran out between periods of longsleep) that only a few of them could return , given that EMPS and the nuclear winter precipitated the fall of civilization for decades. The irony was the mission was to prevent a possible collision of the comet with Earth. It was a solid read and ultimately had an uplifting ending but it was a rather harrowing account of survival for both the mission team and the human race ,as the communications gradually faded out from Earth then the orbital stations and the members had to make hard decisions about returning home to family verses plans to save the human race. I'll have to check the bookcase !!!

Saw the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it but for two things...the sappy and unnecessary "love" angle as a plot point. It's the only thing that had me rolling my eyes. The rest of the movie is so smart, but they really had to fall back on "love"? Ech.

Secondly, and I guess you don't have a movie without it, is haven't we had about enough of these, "the sky is falling and the world is ending" type movies? It's just so done-to-death. We're all fine. The planet is fine. Screws are falling our every day, yet the world remains in a perfect position. Relax. Take a deep breath and wait for the acid to wear off. It'll be okay.

My only regret was not seeing it in 3d, as the visuals were quite stunning. The worm hole and black hole sequences had me leaning forward in my seat, which hasn't happened in decades. Nice to see a fairly well-done, true sci-fi movie with more to stimulate the matter between the ears.

Who ever designed that infogram needs a swift kick up the backside! They’ve labelled the wormhole “Black hole.” That’s not going to help at all.

Wormholes are theorized to be generated by the same process that causes black holes, they bend space and pop you out elsewhere. As you approach the speed of light, your mass approaches infinite. If you think of space like a tightly pulled fabric, your infinite mass pulls down the fabric. The point where you cannot see anything happening inside the cone generated by the weight is the Event Horizon. IF space is in waves, your burrowed tunnel can take you to another wave.
Depending on your reference point, a *traveling* ship could actually be perceived as not moving, if it travels by becoming so heavy it is moving the unviverse around it.

Beside the "Love is the only thing which transcends time and space" speech mid film, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I never really feel the need to watch a film twice but I'm thinking of going back to the cinema to see it again.

Just got back from seeing it. Loved it. Reminded me how much I love a good space movie.

To me, it was a combination of two of my favorite films....2001: A Space Odyssey and The Blackhole.

So much wrong with this film...covered before my post. A few brilliant things. For some reason I left the film feeling angry. Maybe it was my anticipation of the gushing over this film that I knew would occur because "in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king". Nolan has one eye in my opinion and for some reason a large portion of the movie going public give him a huge pass for all he misses or does wrong within the fictions he builds. The tone of his films while occasionally Kubrick-esque in their cold beauty (hence the invocation of 2001) lack the depth of vision, the timing and the writing ability and the heart of the aforementioned film maker and Nolan must resort to covering up the films lack of "logical fiction" with poetic double speak. The saddest part to me is that he may indeed be the best we have at the moment. I think he has the capacity for genius but maybe not the patience or the ability to do exactly what he wants within the new hollywood. All in all I give it a disappointed...meh.

I'm really not sure what movie you guys saw.
I think we have become TOO critical to the point we forget it's just a movie.
I found it to be one of the most beautiful thought provoking movies I have ever seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back