Interstellar (Post-release)

I'm not as critical of the theoretical science behind the film as I am with basic character development. Any good film needs realistic/interesting believable characters. Interstellar did not have this. A few examples:

Murph being angry her dad left her as a child - Yeah, makes sense.
But then . . .
Murph at age 28, working under the man that sent her dad off planet. She now understands why her dad had to do what was necessary to save all of humanity on earth and has dedicated her life as well towards the same cause, yet she is still angry at her dad and refuses to communicate with him until the age of 28? And then she only sends him one message. It's just not logical character development.
Then, to top it off, as Murph is a happy old lady on her death bed, she claims she always knew he would come back, like she was never angry with him, and then after 5 minutes she sends him on his way. No word of his son. No hugs or any emotion at all from the extended family. Wha? Just a real strangely constructed scene far more unrealistic than any 5th dimensional black hole.

To quote the great Ulysses Evertt McGill - "Pete, it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart."

“Maybe that's when bad scripts are written, when you choose the theme first. I consider that I've something to say when I've thought of a person, a moment, a single beat of the heart, that I think is true and interesting, and therefore should be seen.” Russell T. Davies

Nolan missed the opportunity to make the single most important relationship moment of the film true and interesting. He rushed passed it as if it was a trivial loss of a secondary character. Shame really. Such an easy moment to rewrite even within the time confines of the final act.

Last edited:
Went again and took my wife. It was just as impactful for me the 2nd time. She said it was "awesome".
Also as we walked toward the theater there was a couple in front of us and the woman commented
as she walked by the Interstellar poster, "I cried so much".

Something to note if you've been waiting for the score.
Amazingly the dramatic docking scene segment "No time for caution" has been missing from early releases.
I think it can be downloaded or is being added to downloads or can be found for free though now.
Just sort of interesting a showcase segment of the score was initially missing. :facepalm And it may not be entirely
film accurate as there appears some additional mixing was done with more organ rather than strings after Zimmer delivered.
I am seeing some fan made mixes on youtube now to make it more "movie accurate".

The scene was amazing, as one person put it.... "I was pulling my seat out of the floor"... come on TARS!!!!!
My thoughts were all those years of learning how to dock in space we have done was paying off, this is the big one that must happen.

OH well, at least it's not like the bad old days when Blade Runner's score first got released with a recreation of Vangelis's work.

Solid performances from a stellar cast and it looked great. The story started well but after the first 2 hours it dragged and, as was said above, the big father-daughter reunion scene had the emotional bang of a damp sponge.

Hey swgeek, can you tell us who the mind behind TARS was? I've been thinking about it the past couple days and the design is just so clever.

This cracked me up...

B2W_L20CcAAtfGW.jpg

Hey swgeek, can you tell us who the mind behind TARS was? I've been thinking about it the past couple days and the design is just so clever.

yeah, unfortunately I don't know. I didn't even know about the robots until like the fourth trailer. I wish I knew more, sorry. I did love the design and personality though. I was glad to see a robot that wasn't a guy in a suit.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back