Inexpensive but nice Picture Frames, any sources?

amish

Sr Member
Thanks to an awesome mamber here who I easily call a friend I have a Time Bandits Map.

I would like to frame it for my office and am looking for a company either online or local that could supply a frame that is of these approximate dimensions:

46"x36" with a matte board or 42 1/2"x27" without the matte.

Any help with any sources would be appreciated. I am however, not looking to spend a ton of money on it, so please keep that in mind if you know of some sources.

Thanks everyone...

I suggest you also check out places like Target, K-Mart and Hobby Lobby. Those places often have pre-framed artwork on the cheap, great for cannibalizing frames off of.

It's funny you started this thread today. I just framed mine up last night.

I had a heck of time trying to find an off the shelf frame. I went to Hobby Lobby and Michaels...nothing. The map is an odd size so I ended up ordering a custom frame for mine. I think it cost me $60 when they were running one of those 50% off sales.

Beware. A cheap frame will ruin your prop over time. The purpose of an acid-free matte is to keep the artwork from touching the glass where it can pick up condensation and deteriorate.

Framing something in an archival manner is really expensive, though.

I use American Frame and Frames By Mail for custom sizes.
www.americanframe.com
www.framesbymail.com

A mat that size would be real expensive to ship so I would order that from a frame shop or cut your own. A sheet of mat board from an art store, an xacto knife and big metal ruler would be all you really need - bevelled edges aren't always necessary.
You can get linen tape at an art store too for archival mounting but I think it runs about $11 a roll. You could also have it dry mounted at a frame shop but it would be permanently adhered to a mounting board.

I also like to check out the preframed art at Target, Home Goods, and Bed Bath and Beyond.
Use the 20% off coupons from the mail for BB&B and you can get good deals and the frames are nice.

Thanks Chris and everyone. I have a coupon I printed online for Jo-ann Fabrics. They do framing and on Feb. 4, 2006 they are have 50% off. I will probably hold out for that and get a much nicer frame :)

Thanks for the input.

Tom

Here's mine all framed up. I'll hang it on the wall tomorrow.

picture002.jpg

It's pinned to a black velvet backing and set back about 1/2" from the glass.

WOW... That looks outstanding.

I priced some frames tonight at the fabric place and the are giving me a price of around $350.00 without the matte. I think I will try target next and if that doesnt work, I will make my own frame.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back