Wild Bill Hickok Playing Cards help request

Vindex

I am looking to recreate the poker cards from the Wild Bill Hickok assassination in 1876 (Dead Man's Hand). I have a general idea of what the faces of the cards looked like, and some examples of the back face, in different styles and colors used in that era.

I am having trouble finding cardstock paper that has some mid 19th century patterns on the back. I've done google searches, looked at several cardstock suppliers, but I cannot find any that would have the old patterns, preferably with a white face to print the card numbers on.

I've also searched in the free paper props section to no avail. I've found some replica era cards on eBay, and other sources, but they have a matte plastic coating on them and my intention is to make them, and then weather them like a set of cards used in a dirty saloon, in the middle of a gold mining, roughneck town.

The cards were not numbered, but were the Ace of Diamonds (with a boot heel mark), Ace of Clubs, Eight of Clubs, Eight of Spades, and depending on which legend used, either the Queen of Clubs with a blood drop on it, or the Jack of Hearts.

Any suggestions on paper or card stock suppliers who sell antiquated designs, such as commonly used in the 1860s-1880s? And preferably laser, or inkjet compatible.

Thanks,

I would be doubtful that anyone manufacturing accurate period designs of such things is going to make them modern printing compatible.

Check item #593 here. The site is unwieldy to use, so I'm not sure where the link will hit.

There's a couple of ebay sellers with "pharo cards"

If you're going to distress, I'd save myself the trouble and go with these.

A quick eBay search reveals several 1870's cards. Not sure how "authentic" any of these authentic cards are... I would buy one, scan the back & make the pattern yourself in Illustrator (or just grab one of their auction photos). Epson makes a matte photo paper, not a perfect match obviously, but maybe good enough. Especially if you add a "vintage" paper texture to your artwork. Shutterstock sells scans of old pieces of paper. I've used them to "antique" my pen&ink illustrations.

If I were faking this for a video or photo shoot, I would print both sides of the card, stick them together with Super77, and then press them for day or two. Once everything dries & you're happy with your weathering, you can spray the cards with a matte finish. The cards will be a bit too thick, and if you look at them with a loop they will 100% not look authentic--there's really no faking old spot color lithography. But for a display piece or a photo shoot they should look pretty spot on.

Thanks for the help. I saw some of the cards on eBay. I was kinda wanting to make something versus buy it. This helps.

Went with the Faro cards. They arrived last night and will work perfectly. Still wanted to make my own for skill building and may still do so, but for $8, this solves the immediate need.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back