Inexpensive but nice Picture Frames, any sources?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by amish, Jan 27, 2006.

1. amish

amish Sr Member

Thanks to an awesome mamber here who I easily call a friend I have a Time Bandits Map.

I would like to frame it for my office and am looking for a company either online or local that could supply a frame that is of these approximate dimensions:

46"x36" with a matte board or 42 1/2"x27" without the matte.

Any help with any sources would be appreciated. I am however, not looking to spend a ton of money on it, so please keep that in mind if you know of some sources.

Thanks everyone...

2. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

hit a flea market and buy a crappy 'painting' or poster with a frame. trash said painting and keep the frame.

3. Ghadrack

Ghadrack Sr Member

I suggest you also check out places like Target, K-Mart and Hobby Lobby. Those places often have pre-framed artwork on the cheap, great for cannibalizing frames off of.

4. amish

amish Sr Member

Good ideas, the both of you.... For some reason I was only thinking about frame shops.

Thanks guys.

5. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

I have to agrre with Hobby Lobby, they have 1/2 off sales on frames all the time and they have many very nice frames

6. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

It's funny you started this thread today. I just framed mine up last night.

I had a heck of time trying to find an off the shelf frame. I went to Hobby Lobby and Michaels...nothing. The map is an odd size so I ended up ordering a custom frame for mine. I think it cost me $60 when they were running one of those 50% off sales.

7. BAlinger15

BAlinger15 Community Founder

8. amish

amish Sr Member

Great link. Thank you very much.

9. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Hey Tom -

Do you have the measurements of the map itself? I've got one that I need to frame, as well, but it's home and I'm not.

10. amish

amish Sr Member

The one I have is 46"x36" with the white border and approximately 42 1/2"x27 without. Hope that helps...

11. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

It most certainly does. Thanks, Tom.

12. PodRacer X

PodRacer X Active Member

Beware. A cheap frame will ruin your prop over time. The purpose of an acid-free matte is to keep the artwork from touching the glass where it can pick up condensation and deteriorate.

Framing something in an archival manner is really expensive, though.

13. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

That is a good reminder. I can do the matting myself, so I just need the frame. After that, I'm golden.

14. Boba Debt

Boba Debt Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just framed 2 paintings with frames from this company.

I ordered them as a kit and it only took about an hour to put them together.

FrameFitCo

15. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Another great link. Thanks for sharing.

16. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

I use American Frame and Frames By Mail for custom sizes.
    www.americanframe.com
    www.framesbymail.com

A mat that size would be real expensive to ship so I would order that from a frame shop or cut your own. A sheet of mat board from an art store, an xacto knife and big metal ruler would be all you really need - bevelled edges aren't always necessary.
    You can get linen tape at an art store too for archival mounting but I think it runs about $11 a roll. You could also have it dry mounted at a frame shop but it would be permanently adhered to a mounting board.

I also like to check out the preframed art at Target, Home Goods, and Bed Bath and Beyond.
    Use the 20% off coupons from the mail for BB&B and you can get good deals and the frames are nice.

17. amish

amish Sr Member

Thanks Chris and everyone. I have a coupon I printed online for Jo-ann Fabrics. They do framing and on Feb. 4, 2006 they are have 50% off. I will probably hold out for that and get a much nicer frame :)

Thanks for the input.

Tom

18. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

Here's mine all framed up. I'll hang it on the wall tomorrow.

[​IMG]

It's pinned to a black velvet backing and set back about 1/2" from the glass.

19. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

A beautiful job. It's always good to see when people frame the map the right side up. :lol

20. amish

amish Sr Member

WOW... That looks outstanding.

I priced some frames tonight at the fabric place and the are giving me a price of around $350.00 without the matte. I think I will try target next and if that doesnt work, I will make my own frame.

21. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

I just finished framing mine, thanks to a sale on frames at AC Moore.

[attachmentid=6430]

Huge thanks go out to Kapow for sending this to me.

As for hanging it right-side up, that's a debatable issue with this version. While the clocks on the sides read properly this way, there's a line of text along the top that is upside-down in this orientation. So, to combat this dilemma, I added a second hanging wire, to allow me to hang it this way:

[attachmentid=6429]

Now, I can switch back and forth, depending on my mood. And, as an added bonus, I'll know that some folks will actually experience involuntary twitches every time I turn it this way. ;) :lol

22. mb1k

mb1k Well-Known Member

Looks great.

Just curious, how did you affix the map to the matte/backing? Looks as though you don't have any map behind the matte so you wouldn't have used mounting tape on the back of the canvas to fix it to the backside of the matte. I'm left to guess that you mounted the map either poster board or foam board on the backing?

I just got one for Christmas and am anxious to get to the DIY frameshop and start on it.

Thanks,

Joe D.

23. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MB1K @ Dec 26 2006, 02:59 AM) [snapback]1384728[/snapback]</div>
    There actually is a tiny bit of the map behind the matte, but not much. It's been almost a year since I did this, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think that you're correct, that it's attached to the foam core backing board with mounting tape.

24. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amish @ Jan 27 2006, 03:57 PM) [snapback]1169597[/snapback]</div>
    Go to Americanframe.com, There everyday prices are less than Michaels 50% off sale. I think they even give you a free cut matteboard.

25. mb1k

mb1k Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Now just to decide whether to "weather" or not. I'm going to see what Michael's and Hobby Lobby have too, but our base has a DIY frame shop that cuts out the middle man and I'm not adverse to cutting my own mattes, glass, or frames...

Joe

26. hankey01

hankey01 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MB1K @ Dec 26 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]1384809[/snapback]</div>

A couple of us made our own using trim from home depot. Al told it cost me about $70 for all the parts. I used mirror clips and foam "presentation" cardboard from staples. Plexiglass cost me about $26 which was 1/3 the price home depot wanted for the same stuff.

http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=120293&st=20

27. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

Just a word of wisdom, never frame right up to the glass. That is never let your item touch the glass always use a matt or spacers. Spacers are 1/6 or 1/8 square pieces of acrylic with an adhesive that sticks to the glass, you aply this to the very edge of the glass and stands off the work you are framing. Also you can buy the legs of the frames at Michales Arts and Crafts for around 10-15 bucks a pair all you need is the dimentions. I'm a certified framer and this is what I would recomend also use acid free matts when ever possible.

28. poormansjb

poormansjb Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any mention of Aaron Brothers; MUCH less expensive than Michael's and they use acid-free materials. Have not been in this week but they are having a 1¢ sale (effectively two-for-one).

Also, no one appears to have discussed the difference between acrylic and glass. Because of the scale, I'd recommend acrylic as glass would be quite heavy and more difficult to work with at that size and weight (this is especially important to those of us in earthquake-prone regions). On the other hand, the issue of the art coming into contact with the surface is more of problem with acrylic than glass (though that also depends on the medium).

Finally, there are acid-free mounting/hinge tapes but given the size of the piece, you might consider dry-mounting; NOT cheap but ensures the art won't develop wrinkles or slip in the mat over time.

29. amish

amish Sr Member

Thanks for the new information everyone. I saw the thread about the home built frame and it made me anxious to give this a try once I have time. Also, thanks for the idea about spacers :) I hate cutting mattes, so this might be a nice alternative.

Tom

30. squirk

squirk Sr Member

I found some really nice frames at World Market as well. Cheap, too.

31. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amish @ Jan 5 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]1391197[/snapback]</div>
    Let me know if you would like me to cut the mat for you, Tom. I do all my own matting, and am getting quite adept at it (if I do say so myself).