Done / Completed Indiana Jones Raiders/Ravenwood Journal (blank)

Okay, finished 6 and sent out messages to everybody so Pascal's is the last one I have to work on. If anybody else wants to jump on let me know, I'll have to order some new headband material, but once that's here I'll be able to finish one pretty quick.

So I am looking to build a journal using the materials from Wayne Miller & Bryan Babich. In their notes they have the journal being laid flat and cut down to 8.75” wide x 6.25” tall. I know you mentioned in your OP that would could do them smaller, is this a doable change?

If so, put me down for a lined weather version at this size.

So I am looking to build a journal using the materials from Wayne Miller & Bryan Babich. In their notes they have the journal being laid flat and cut down to 8.75” wide x 6.25” tall. I know you mentioned in your OP that would could do them smaller, is this a doable change?

If so, put me down for a lined weather version at this size.

I have some cream colored A5 paper I could do a smaller one with. The final size is around 6" tall by like 4.25" wide, give or take. I've done a couple that size, but it really feels small to me. I can do it though if you definitely want that size.

I also followed the Miller/Babich instructions on my personal copy and it turned out great.

IMG_0420.jpeg IMG_0422.jpeg IMG_0421.jpeg

I have some cream colored A5 paper I could do a smaller one with. The final size is around 6" tall by like 4.25" wide, give or take. I've done a couple that size, but it really feels small to me. I can do it though if you definitely want that size.

I also followed the Miller/Babich instructions on my personal copy and it turned out great.

View attachment 1335460 View attachment 1335458 View attachment 1335459
Glad to hear the Miller/Babich instructions worked out, in super excited to get to work on this.
Go ahead and put me down for the smaller one, as well as one of your normal sized journals. Both lined ledger lined and weathered please.

Glad to hear the Miller/Babich instructions worked out, in super excited to get to work on this.
Go ahead and put me down for the smaller one, as well as one of your normal sized journals. Both lined ledger lined and weathered please.

Okay, I got you down. I ordered some more supplies so once they get here I'll be able to start on them.

Received mine. Great job! Got a few dents in the borders of the covers because they were sent in a bubble envelope that didn't protect them enough during the long trip to Belgium :-(. Could work out the dents in one of the journals, the other one has a few that I can not remove. Well, that's the one I will be aging the h*ll out of it, I guess ;-). So some dents and inperfections are not an issue for that one. But I would advise to ship them a bit more protected (a small cardboard box would to the trick, I guess).

They are also a bit bigger then I expected. I mean, when you have them in hand, they look a bit too big compared to when Harrison Ford has it in hand. Might be interested in a smaller one too. Another recommondation: make the cover more or less the same size as the pages! Now the cove is a few mm's bigger than the "page-block", but in the movie cover and pages seem to line up. Also the thickness in the movie is a bit less. See the picture in the opeing post where Indy puts the elastic band around the journal.

Another thought I had: in the movie, Indy is "folding over" the journal when looking through the periscope thing. So the cover is fold in two so front and back cover touch and the inside pages are seen on both sides. This is impossible to do with this replica, without ruining it. It might be too far fetched to make this possible with a replica, but if it would be possible, that would make it really, really accurate.

All in all this is by far the best replica I've seen so far, but with some adjustments, this could be a VERY screen accurate replica of the journal!

Last edited:
I ship the domestic ones in a flat rate box. I shipped the international ones in a bubble mailer because I didn't want to charge any more than I had to for shipping because international shipping is already way more expensive. I have not had any issues up to this point, but I will have to rethink that decision.

I can only make them in the sizes of the paper I have available to me that will also work in my printer so it was either the executive or the A5 and the A5 seems way too small as I mentioned in my original post.

In the film, it appears to be bound similar to a composition notebook which is why it’s easily folded inside out. I can't do that because I have no access to a guillotine and they are way too expensive to invest in for a project like this. I’ve tried other ways to trim the text block down to do something like that but it is FAR too time consuming. I am binding them like a traditional hard back book where I fold multiple signatures, sew them into a text block, and glue them into a cover.

Last edited:
In the meanwhile started aging one of the books (will keep the other one as "new"). First round of distressing done. Quite happy with the result, but I will need to do this quite a few times, until I think it's aged enough:

Journal01.jpg

I also added some end papers to the front and and of the book. Looks better than just the white. OK, I have to admit: I tried aging the with end papers with coffee, but this didn't turn out too well, so I decided to glue patterned end-papers over it. Very pleased with the result:

Journal02.jpg

If people want to do the same, here is the pattern I used: https://olddesignshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/OldDesignShop_EndpaperStNicholas1885.jpg

Just print it out on A4 paper, cut to the correct size and glue onto the white endpapers. I did used this to glue it onto the book (didn't want to use "wet" glue for this):

550x475.jpg

I received my journal today.
Fantastic workmanship.
Thank you!!
I love the rubber band indentation. Looks great!!
Its the little things that make the props come alive.
Nice detail. Good weathering. Solid prop!!

I would like to also order the smaller version lined and aged please.

Attachments

• 20200814_193624.jpg
    20200814_193624.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 144
  • 20200814_173248.jpg
    20200814_173248.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 136
  • 20200814_193447.jpg
    20200814_193447.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 143
  • 20200814_193516.jpg
    20200814_193516.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 156
  • 20200814_193523.jpg
    20200814_193523.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 144
  • 20200814_193528.jpg
    20200814_193528.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 137
  • 20200814_193607.jpg
    20200814_193607.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 155
Sorry I haven't updated recently. My wife and I have been dealing with a pet issue and it finally came down to having to make that decision none of us want to make yesterday. I'm not really feeling up to working on these right now, but I'll try to get back to them next week.

Update: Sorry, the last few have been taking me a bit longer, but I'm still working on them. COVID restrictions have been easing so I've been doing a little more work on the weekends and I've had less time to work on these. Also, printing the two smaller books took a TON more time than the executive size (because of that, I won't be offering the smaller size lined anymore). All of the remaining books have been printed, folded, sewn and glued so they're about halfway done. I'll get them rounded and lined during the week, then I'm off this weekend so I should be able to work on getting them covered.

Also, I just wanted to mention I used all of my remaining paper for the last people on the list. I am going to continue to make these, but I’m going to start a waitlist right now. Once I get 4 or 5 more signups I’ll order new paper.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back