INDIANA JONES - How much for a really GOOD fedora?

I also own a Penman, and just got my new HJ this week. It’s nice to have both.
I own one with the more expensive beaver felt. While it's looks amazing and accurate. It lacks "ruggedness" I guess.
Tried ordering one of his Everyman hats. However I at the moment can't get one due to his current illness, whatever it is.

I own one with the more expensive beaver felt. While it's looks amazing and accurate. It lacks "ruggedness" I guess.
Tried ordering one of his Everyman hats. However I at the moment can't get one due to his current illness, whatever it is.

I don't want to presume anything but I tried to get one of his pre-made and listed "available" hats earlier in the year and I was put on hold for like 3 months only to be told that it wasn't actually available. At the time, it was due to something with a family member. I don't know if he's wanting to avoid making or selling hats anymore but I wish him all the best if there are actually things happening in his life keeping him from making hats.

Not yet, 6-8 weeks to make and process but that's not before my order is received by the milliners. I'm sure I'm in a very long wait-list. I suppose I could email to see where I am on the list, but I think that'd only make me more impatient.

Okay, so I got impatient and contacted HJ last night. The email I got back this morning stating that my hat is being "finalized" but they're out of---get this---cardboard boxes to ship the hat box. First reading that and now typing it out just puts a smile on my face. :lol: It's so silly.

It should be fixed this week.

Advintage Harrison hat is back up on their website this morning. I’ve placed my order. Very excited! I think there will be enough time for shipping.

What size? I may still have an original AdventureBilt in pure rabbit
I totally missed this message when it was posted. Sorry about that, wasn’t trying to ignore you.

I have one rabbit and one beaver, both from Steve Delk (Adventurebilt). I consider myself very lucky to have gotten the hats when I did. Penman reblocked the beaver hat a few years ago and did a great job.

I'm thinking of selling the rabbit, if anyone is interested. But they're wonderful hats!

Just got this in time for it to still be considered a late-birthday gift: my genuine Herbert Johnson "Raiders" fedora! Open crown, deep-sable rabbit fur felt; it's as close to the original hat that's ever done, in my opinion. Close to the original felt, color, weight, shape (using the closest block to the original Poet model) and by the the original company that made them...and still made bespoke--by hand! It honestly doesn't get any better.

20210929_130240.jpg

(hat color in this is under a yellow light, it's a much more rich chocolate color in person)
20210929_125130.jpg
20210929_125831.jpg
20210929_125958.jpg
20210929_130027.jpg

Like many people out there, I started with the crummy officially licensed Indy hat and then moved up to a Coyle Downtowner, and while good for what they are, they're really stiff, heavy wool hats meant for average consumption (close-enough-costuming or novelty) and finally getting a quality hat is night and day in comparison. It's so much lighter than I'm used to and the quality of the felt is so soft and luxurious; I don't think I'll be getting another Indy hat soon. If I am, it's gonna be from Herbert Johnson, no question.

Wait time from order placed was ~3 months and the topped out closer to 500 USD shipped, but it is totally worth the wait and every penny. I honestly can't say enough good things about this hat.

Just got this in time for it to still be considered a late-birthday gift: my genuine Herbert Johnson "Raiders" fedora! Open crown, deep-sable rabbit fur felt; it's as close to the original hat that's ever done, in my opinion. Close to the original felt, color, weight, shape (using the closest block to the original Poet model) and by the the original company that made them...and still made bespoke--by hand! It honestly doesn't get any better.

View attachment 1499272

(hat color in this is under a yellow light, it's a much more rich chocolate color in person)
View attachment 1499268View attachment 1499269View attachment 1499270View attachment 1499271

Like many people out there, I started with the crummy officially licensed Indy hat and then moved up to a Coyle Downtowner, and while good for what they are, they're really stiff, heavy wool hats meant for average consumption (close-enough-costuming or novelty) and finally getting a quality hat is night and day in comparison. It's so much lighter than I'm used to and the quality of the felt is so soft and luxurious; I don't think I'll be getting another Indy hat soon. If I am, it's gonna be from Herbert Johnson, no question.

Wait time from order placed was ~3 months and the topped out closer to 500 USD shipped, but it is totally worth the wait and every penny. I honestly can't say enough good things about this hat.
Thanks for sharing, that is definitely one hell of a hat!

I bought an AdVintage just for the budget (before I knew I was going to build the whole costume), and I wear it regularly through fall and winter. It’s expensive enough that I wanted to get some mileage out of it outside of a costume but cheap enough that I’m not worried if it got ruined. Had it for a couple of years now and it’s broken in well.

View attachment 1499272

View attachment 1499268View attachment 1499269View attachment 1499270View attachment 1499271

I'm thinking of going with beaver, is rabbit the original felt used for Indy?

Does anyone know how the color of the David Morgan Adventurer Hat compares to the ROTLA hat?

Also I'm wondering what differences, if any, there are between the Akubra "Adventurer" and the Akubra "Federation IV".

I saw that when Akubra introduced their "Campdraft" David Morgan began selling it, with a subtle modification, under a different name.

Just thought I'd add my fedora info. I bought mine from a proper hat shop in Manchester England back in 1990 for forty british pounds which in today's money is ninety three pounds or one hundred twenty six US dollars.
It's nice felt and has been very durable for decades.

Deep Sable. That's closest to the original color (and it's only going to get lighter if you're planning on wearing it outdoors often) and, if you believe what the site says, HJ is working with the closest equivalent rabbit felt to the original back in '79/'80.

Not yet, 6-8 weeks to make and process but that's not before my order is received by the milliners. I'm sure I'm in a very long wait-list. I suppose I could email to see where I am on the list, but I think that'd only make me more impatient.
Bought me a Deep sable one yesterday. Early/late xmas gift for myself :p should be arriving in March.
I hate waiting :p:lol:

Advintage cant be beat and is THE hat for raiders, especially soc. The only exception is fedoraider. Advintage soc is $440 aprox, its 389 euros, if i remember correctly.

Bought me a Deep sable one yesterday. Early/late xmas gift for myself :p should be arriving in March.
I hate waiting :p:lol:

It is so worth it! I actually wear it a lot indoors. I just walk by it and then pop it on and walk the house in it. Did you get it in beaver, rabbit? Open-crown or pre-bashed? You must show pics when you get it.

It is so worth it! I actually wear it a lot indoors. I just walk by it and then pop it on and walk the house in it. Did you get it in beaver, rabbit? Open-crown or pre-bashed? You must show pics when you get it.
I went with rabbit. For two reasons, I read rabbit was used for the actual film. Secondly I already own a Raiders hat by Penman which is beaver felt. Pre-bashed with the turn.

I think I can do that. Along with some comparisons next to my Penman. It should be a good comparison seeing as how I haven't worn my Penman hat in any sunlight, ever.

I just posted about my Herbert Johnson 40th Anniversary Streets of Cairo Poet hat. It had a design feature I wasn't aware of, but now that I am, I'm a big fan.

Also did a little video on it

I also have a Penman hat, which very nice as well. And a little cheaper.

I just posted about my Herbert Johnson 40th Anniversary Streets of Cairo Poet hat. It had a design feature I wasn't aware of, but now that I am, I'm a big fan.

Also did a little video on it

I also have a Penman hat, which very nice as well. And a little cheaper.
Looks a lot better in the video! Glad you’re happy with it, it looks great!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back