INDIANA JONES - How much for a really GOOD fedora?

So consensus on that one is that it's...not a good hat? Good hat? Accuracy? What would a "good" price on this be? It's looking better than a lot I've seen, but I dunno if I'm ready to make the leap.

46ADCBCF-37E8-45E3-A714-8FB3B68C979C.jpeg
This is my Advintage Streets of Cairo fedora. I couldn’t be happier with it.

It probably is a well made hat just not very accurate

What hat are you wanting to reproduce as they differed in all the Movies

As I posted earlier Mark was well known for horrible customer service years ago, don’t know what he is doing now and there are others doing more accurately hats out there

So consensus on that one is that it's...not a good hat? Good hat? Accuracy? What would a "good" price on this be? It's looking better than a lot I've seen, but I dunno if I'm ready to make the leap.

It's a good hat, but it's not an Indy hat. The crown can be re-shaped to be closer, but it still won't be as accurate as one of the many replicas mentioned. As I said earlier, it depends on how accurate of a hat you want. I assumed that was a hat you already had, but since it's not, it also depends on how much that one costs. If it's like super cheap, then I'd probably just grab it regardless, but if it's going to be the same price as an AdVintage or a Penman, and you want an Indy hat, then you should get an Indy hat from one of the many makers discussed in this thread.

AdVintage range from around $150-$350
Steele and Jones are around $250
Penman range from $275-$550 (or if you really want to go for it, $850)
The Herbert Johnson Poet is around $500

I personally have a rabbit AdVintage and I like it a lot. I got it used for a decent price. At some point, I would like to upgrade to a beaver one and I would lean heavily towards the AdVintage Streets of Cairo, although I've also always wanted the Penman.

Last edited:
The Steele and Jones hats (and jackets) are some of the very best available and for I believe a good price. I have a few Fedora's and can say that the Streets of Cairo from S&J is the pick of the bunch.

The Steele and Jones hats (and jackets) are some of the very best available and for I believe a good price. I have a few Fedora's and can say that the Streets of Cairo from S&J is the pick of the bunch.

Does S&J offer beaver or just rabbit? I skimmed through their site and it looks like only rabbit, but I may just have missed it.

I’ve got to say, those advintage hats have really caught my eye…has anyone here purchased their budget “Harrison” hat option?

I’ve got to say, those advintage hats have really caught my eye…has anyone here purchased their budget “Harrison” hat option?

I'm with you. I am looking at that budget one as well. I love the look of the adVintage Streets of Cairo, but cant afford that one right now. Anyone have experience with the factory made version from adVintage?

I'm with you. I am looking at that budget one as well. I love the look of the adVintage Streets of Cairo, but cant afford that one right now. Anyone have experience with the factory made version from adVintage?

I bought mine used so I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure it is the budget version (I also don't know if they've always had the same lines, so this may be like a discontinued one or something). I think it looks great. I haven't added any weathering but I have been meaning to get some fuller's earth to do it. I'm not sure if it's the full rabbit or blend, but the felt is very stiff, much stiffer than beaver hats I own.

At some point I would like to upgrade to a 100% beaver one, but it's totally fine for now.

Last edited:
I received the FANTASTIC Streets of Cairo Fedora from Thomas at Advintage yesterday. It's incredibly well made to a very high standard. I'd recommend this to anyone.
Before I ordered mine, Thomas sent me samples of the different felt colours so I could choose which colour I wanted. He offers a good selection:

True Sable (Darkest of them all).
Sable (I picked this one as it matched up with the original Herbert Johnson hat colour).
Raiders Sable (Lighter than Sable - perhaps a bit too light).
Light Sable.

All these cater for the variety of colours that the hat "appears" to be in the movie (depending on lighting / filters etc), but ultimately, I selected the "Sable" colour as this is what Herbert Johnson used on the original hat that was made for the movie.

Attachments

• Advintage-Fedora-Arrival-08-5th March 2020.jpg
    Advintage-Fedora-Arrival-08-5th March 2020.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 379
Last edited:
If I was to toss my hat into the ring [emoji6]...

I went with The Adventurebilt in 2017 (which is now part of Penman, I guess) and can confirm it is of the highest quality. Went with more of the “Raiders” pinch and turn. Definitely want to check out the AdVintage and the Steel and Jones hats at some point.
Adjustments.jpg

So I don't have to start a new thread when there are obviously a few knowledgable people here, can anyone recommend someone to renovate my Adventurebilt hat? Ideally in europe, but if not then I'll send it elsewhere. Almost daily wear for 7 or 8 years has left the inside pretty well used, although the outside still looks great. I emailed Steve Delk and Marc Kitter and got no response, so hopefully someone can do it, I'd hate to have to buy a new one. Sort of defeats the point of buying a sturdy, quality hat.

I think Penman offers hat touch-ups, though I can't say for pricing or experience. There aren't many milners left out there, so you may have to end up shipping it someplace else.

So I don't have to start a new thread when there are obviously a few knowledgable people here, can anyone recommend someone to renovate my Adventurebilt hat? Ideally in europe, but if not then I'll send it elsewhere. Almost daily wear for 7 or 8 years has left the inside pretty well used, although the outside still looks great. I emailed Steve Delk and Marc Kitter and got no response, so hopefully someone can do it, I'd hate to have to buy a new one. Sort of defeats the point of buying a sturdy, quality hat.

I thought for sure I had seen hat repair work pricing on Advintage's site at some point but I can't find it now so I may just be confusing it with another hatter. It may be worth it to shoot them a message though. They're in Germany.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back