Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb - Manual Inserts

Oxley, will you please share the Ceylon envelope and the stamps going with please? ( I know it's somewhere on my HD but now way to dig them out...). Many thanks in advance.

Hello! Well, I still have the original files for the Ceylon envelope that were made in 2010 by Division 6 and darcjedi, from the original thread. But I don't want to post the work of others without their consent, more with all the stuff that seems to be happening with some of the free files on this forum.

However, I do know what sources were used for both the envelope design and the stamps, and I can provide them so anyone can try to make them by themselves:

ceylon_envelope.png

-The envelope design uses the trees, boat and decorative arch (with one side mirrored) from this Ceylon coconut palm stamp design, mixed with the elephants of this 50 c stamp, also from Ceylon.

-The 20c stamp uses as a base a George V 20c stamp with a violet hue (I didn't find a good high res of that particular stamp, but I did find a 30 c one with the same design. This 2c stamp could be used to change the value of the 30 one back to 20, with a bit of photoshop fu). The portrait has been changed to the one of George VI, like the one on the palm stamp that was used for the envelope, but can be found in other stamps like 9c one.

- Finally, the 25c stamp uses this stamp as a base (I'm sorry, this is the best quality image of the stamp that I could find. It will need some restoring work in photoshop to remove the ink stamp. Also note that this is not the exact same stamp that was used. The exact stamp can be seen in this collection of stamps, but this was the best photo I could find of it). The portrait is the George V one that was originally in the other 20c stamp, coloured brown to fit with the rest of the stamp. It also should be noted that the elephants used on the envelope are back again, chilling by the temple's pool.

These are the best photos that I could find online. I could try to make my own version of both stamps and the envelope if you guys want. And if the original authors want to post the original files they did, or have no problem with sharing it, please tell me.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your help Oxley : I do understand why you don't want to post without owners consent, I respect that. I'll give a try to the stamps first...

I tried the envelope myself. Man that is some impressive detective work tracking down the pieces. The second stamp I find tricky though. Maybe this helps or is at least a start.

Attachments

• Envelope Ceylon.jpg
    Envelope Ceylon.jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Ceylon20.jpg
    Ceylon20.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 122
That is the actual stamp that was used as a base for the 25c one. Sadly I havent found any hi res picture of that particular one. If I'm not mistaken, darkjedi actually bough all the stamps that were used, and scanned them to have hi res copies of them, that is something that could be done again.

Also yes, the designer added the elephant graphic to the temple one for some reason. All the stamps that appear on the manual have been modified in some way. I find it fun.

Thanks for the high res and clean image. And yes you are right there are actually elefants on it.:)

Attachments

• Celon25.jpg
    Celon25.jpg
    686.9 KB · Views: 71
I gave the first stamp a try myself, it's definitely not perfect but if you print it in stamp size I think it would look fine. I've done a blue version like the actual 20c stamp, and a slightly more purple-ish version like it looks in the insert, and I've included the images I used as a source as well.

Attachments

• stamp 1 blue.png
    stamp 1 blue.png
    395.6 KB · Views: 77
  • stamp 1 purple.png
    stamp 1 purple.png
    410.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 62e7d9c5adc3eb5d1c890555200f9986.jpg
    62e7d9c5adc3eb5d1c890555200f9986.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 82
  • r5501.jpg
    r5501.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 87
Also the Shanghai pic on page 13 looks like a slightly less cropped version of this photograph I think? I'll keep looking for a bigger version

Attachments

• shanghai photo.jpg
    shanghai photo.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 65
Here you have my try with both the envelope design and the 20c stamp. The 25c one is a bit more complicated with the resources I found but I will give it a try too.

Also Ceebrupt that's amazing! That has to be the original photo! Where did you find this?

Attachments

• envelope.png
    envelope.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • ceylon 20 cent.png
    ceylon 20 cent.png
    506.8 KB · Views: 83
Here you have my try with both the envelope design and the 20c stamp. The 25c one is a bit more complicated with the resources I found but I will give it a try too.

Also Ceebrupt that's amazing! That has to be the original photo! Where did you find this?
Nice work! Just a small remark, on the stamp the bottom stroke of the 2 is curled, not straight in the insert (as also in the actual stamp it is based on). I found the photo using Yandex reverse image search on the photo you posted and going through (a lot of) "similar images". I found another version here but I can't read the source (?) haha https://p5-tt.byteimg.com/origin/tos-cn-i-qvj2lq49k0/e9ccadc699124ec7a758b4bc128f95bf.jpg

I also found this interesting, not sure if anyone else has noticed it, the newspaper on pages 12-13 seems to have some articles based on actual newspapers from August 16-17 1935:

These newspapers don't have the exact wording or are missing certain details, which makes me think maybe they used another newspaper but from the same dates? So if anyone has a newspapers subscrition or something haha.

Attachments

• newspaper corr.png
    newspaper corr.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
That is incredible Ceebrupt. Does that mean that all the articles from that fake newspaper comes from rougthly the same dates? In an interview the designer of the manual did say that he went to antique stores and such to get assets for the manual (which explains why some of the sources are that obscure or hard to find). Maybe he got a newspaper from August 16-17 1935, and used the articles on it to fill his own prop newspaper.

Who knows, maybe even that newspaper had some of the graphics that he used for the classifieds page from pages 34-25!

Last edited:
That is incredible Ceebrupt. Does that mean that all the articles from that fake newspaper comes from rougthly the same dates? In an interview the designer of the manual did say that he went to antique stores and such to get assets for the manual (which explains why some of the sources are that obscure or hard to find). Maybe he got a newspaper from August 16-17 1935, and used the articles on it to fill his own prop newspaper.

Who maybe even that newspaper had some of the graphics that he used for the classifieds page from pages 34-25!
I think the graphics might be more difficult to find since most of them seem tailored to Indy so I think they might be custom or from clipart archives or something. But most of the articles (apart from the tomb) might indeed be from newspapers around that date. For example here's another article from August 16 about the Italo-Ethiopian war, similar to the article in the insert :
1642981691879.png1642981768068.png
I'm still not sure whether they actually used this newspaper and changed the wording (on top of the dates), or they used another newspaper that had more similar wording but that isn't on the website.

Last edited:
If you guys want to give a try to the Zeppelin envelope from pages 18-19, I have info on the stamps:

zeppelin_envelope.png

- The Black 6 German stamp uses this stamp as a base. The swastika has been replaced by a cross from this heraldic clipart website (actually there are a lot of graphics from this website around the manual). Probably this particular cross.

- The Blue 22 Handel stamp is based on this 1935 german stamp, but with an added bee from the clipart website.

-I already did a version of the Red 1 Luftpost stamp. You can find it in the begginings of this thread. However, if you want to make your own, the base is this stamp, with an added graphic that was also used on two stamps of page 16. That graphic is a mix of this heraldic clipart with probably this particular cross inside it.

I already did my version of the red ink luftpost stamp. And like most of the documents here, it is also a slight modification of an actual stamp from the era.

I will probably make a similar post for the envelope in page 16.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back