Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

I just don’t think that the filmmakers can let go of “Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones and, therefore, have had to yank Indy out of his era….which they will be doing, again, in Indy 5.

Indiana Jones is a creature of a specific era and genre (1930’s Republic Serials). If they held true to the original concept for the character, present day Harrison Ford, at age 80, would be horribly miscast as Indy.

That was where KOTCS made its biggest mistake was taking Indy out of his universe to begin with, in order to accommodate Harrison Ford and the march of time. Everything after that was just adding additional mistakes on top of a foundational error.

7D0E1031-9062-43FF-8106-F346C4CBFF76.jpeg

You may as well take The King of the Rocketmen, at age 80, and try to drop him into the 1960’s or 1970’s—complete with his original adventure outfit—and watch it all collapse around him.

E910E1D4-5809-4741-A141-A54746989B15.jpeg
AD6F765C-54CE-43AC-BFC6-9E63ECBB4A3D.jpeg

Last edited:
Seemed a little sad to have Indy still dressing in the fedora and jacket in KotCS... Kinda like he was stuck in the past.
The approach just never felt right.
That combined with a bad script, and mediocre performances by most of the cast led to a forgettable film.

And the filmmakers must know that it would be even more ridiculous to put 80 year old Indiana Jones—1930’s movie serial adventure outfit and all—in 1978; which is when Indy 5 should be taking place, given Ford’s age and how much time has passed since 1981.

D950B8B7-5595-4AC7-A684-7D33E62E33B6.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree with much that has been written but I'll still give it a shot. I have a feeling there's gonna be a lot of commentary on aging and the bittersweet passage of time, especially if the rumors are true. Indy feels like a fish out of water now (in 1969), past his prime, etc etc. I'm not so sure he'll necessarily die but I could see him "lost to time" or otherwise removed from present time to the point that his story is effectively over. Maybe back to the 30s when he was truly happy or something? Lol! I dunno...

As for what he's wearing, luckily leather jackets are somewhat timeless and a fedora, especially worn by an old man in 1969, might not seem so out of place. Wearing the exact same kind of pants, shoes and shirt might be stretching it a bit, but the "Indy garb" generally doesn't really bother me that much especially considering old men wearing out of style clothes isn't that unheard of. Is that the Indy we really wanna see? Ehhhh, but it's at least plausible, imo. And frankly, if his look did change in any substantial way, there would also be plenty of people upset the film makers diverged from his classic look. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't in this regard.

Last edited:
And if they hadn't done that, we'd all be bitching about how they got the character wrong. :lol:
You are probably correct.

The clothing represents the physical embodiment of time and era that Indiana Jones rightly belongs in (the 1930s)…dropping the character into the 1960’s with the same trappings forms an absurdity that stretches believability.

Again, this was the outcome of choosing the actor over the character.

And frankly, if his look did change in any substantial way, there would also be plenty of people upset the film makers diverged from his classic look. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't in this regard.

Great points.

To me, THIS is Indiana Jones…in the correct costume, in the correct era, in the correct setting, etc. If you can’t deliver this, then what exactly are you creating??

B9F3DCC0-9466-4F24-9885-5E02CAEAC142.jpeg

Anyway…I yield the floor. :)

Last edited:
And frankly, if his look did change in any substantial way, there would also be plenty of people upset the film makers diverged from his classic look. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't in this regard.
My thoughts exactly. So even if they wanted to make another...it would be time to put it to rest after this.
And as for bringing another person to fill his shoes....not sure it would work.

Yeah I'm totally against any recasting or rebooting of Indy. I'm firmly in the camp that Indy should've ended when he literally rode into the sunset at the end of Last Crusade.

Don't forget, the fridge was an uncle George idea. That and the original alien ship at the end was the Millennium Falcon. I've heard that from various sources attached to the film on various levels. Not from my secret sources, real people.
Wow, I would love to know how that would've worked, unless the script changed substantially after they decided not to use it.

WTF is with all this brouhaha about Indy's outfit?

Seriously, his outfit is a normal set of stuff for an older guy to be wearing in the 1950s or 60s in an outdoorsy outing. In some rural southwestern places the gun would still have been totally normal. The satchel & bullwhip were Indy-specific in any decade.

Here is a famous image of Lee Harvey Oswald getting shot in late 1963. It's a random moment with a bunch of middle-aged & older American men dressed to be out in public. Look at all those hats.

od%2F140522132759-05-sixties-tv-moments-restricted.jpg

i just don’t think that the filmmakers can let go of “Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones and, therefore, have had to yank Indy out of his era….which they will be doing, again, in Indy 5.

Indiana Jones is a creature of a specific era and genre (1930’s Republic Serials). If they held true to the original concept for the character, present day Harrison Ford, at age 80, would be horribly miscast as Indy.

This, I think, is such a conservative, narrow perspective and something I bet George Lucas himself doesn't agree with.

We had already seen Indiana Jones in the 1910s in the original trilogy. And later on there was a TV show that expanded the character into the 1920s. Him living beyond a time constraint limit is a narrative advantage, not a liability. You could say the movies should've stayed a trilogy set in the 1930s because that's where Spielberg's heart was and that'd be ok. But if anyone wants more movies, if that's the case, then having the character exist beyond the 1930s is pretty much the only way to go regardless of Harrison Ford playing him, because the story of who Indiana Jones is in the 1930s has already been told. If you keep going back to that time period, you just end up with a cardboard cutout with no development. The same thing over and over and over again.

Seemed a little sad to have Indy still dressing in the fedora and jacket in KotCS... Kinda like he was stuck in the past.

This was literally the point of the movie.

The clothing represents the physical embodiment of time and era that Indiana Jones rightly belongs in (the 1930s)…dropping the character into the 1960’s with the same trappings forms an absurdity that stretches believability.

Again, this was the outcome of choosing the actor over the character.

The part here about clothing I agree though, and it echoes something I said earlier in the thread. His gear should've been adjusted to reflect time passing, while keeping the most recognizable elements there. The sentiment about choosing "actor over character" however... by sticking to the same actor they're actually forcing themselves to develop the character. Which, again, is a good thing. What you're doing here is choosing time-period, aesthetics, and a series of nostalgic elements you enjoy in three movies over character, which is more problematic in reality.

I mean if we really look into this, we could go as far as guessing that the reason why they don't change his gear is, most likely, because they're trying to accommodate both character development within this fan-fixation over a series of superficial traits that define the character for them. God forbid Indy wears something different under his leather jacket. It's apparently already too much to handle to see him in a different time period.

Anyways.

Like I said, there are plenty of reasons why the fifth Indiana Jones movie may not work, and why the fourth one didn't. But being set in the 1950s or 1960s, featuring aliens or time-travel, and a 60 to 70 plus year old Harrison Ford are not any of them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back