Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

The bag strap is worn under the jacket. It was only changed with Crystal Skull where they put it over the jacket and apparently for this upcoming film. I think it looks better under just aesthetically because it doesn't inhibit the movement of the jacket.

I think the premise is weak no matter who directs it. Time travel? Really? I just think it's just too risky a premise.

The bag strap is worn under the jacket. It was only changed with Crystal Skull where they put it over the jacket and apparently for this upcoming film. I think it looks better under just aesthetically because it doesn't inhibit the movement of the jacket.
Exactly, I thought the whole point was that it was more likely for Indy to remove his jacket than his bag. Like, he could go right from the Cairo marketplace scene, slip on his jacket, and be ready to go. But if he puts it on over the jacket he’s got to take it off, put on the jacket, then put the bag back on.

As for your other point, I agree to an extent. It just doesn’t seem like it could work—some have said it sits fine with them within the context of Indiana Jones, but for me personally, stories that deal with that concept should be solely based around that concept, not introduced into existing series that haven’t dealt with it before. The only reason (again) I’m even giving this film a shot is Mangold. He’s won my trust, enough to at least wait for a trailer. I like him more than I dislike Disney, Waller-Bridge, the idea of a 5th Indiana Jones with Harrison at 80, etc. I still think it’s a remarkably slim shot the film will be good, but I feel like I owe him enough to at least see anything substantial first before I start casting stones, and especially at the word of an anonymous, unsubstantiated redditor.

As for your other point, I agree to an extent. It just doesn’t seem like it could work—some have said it sits fine with them within the context of Indiana Jones, but for me personally, stories that deal with that concept should be solely based around that concept, not introduced into existing series that haven’t dealt with it before.
Precisely!

As for the director, I don't doubt Mangold's talent. That's not the part that I'm calling into question so much as the story which just sounds bad. You can only do so much if you're throwing your chips all in on a bad idea. Plus I don't exactly trust names anymore. It's not like Spielberg or Lucas escaped making duds and those guys created Indiana Jones. Even within their creation there were questionable choices made. I'm looking at you Crystal Skull.

I acknowledge all we have concretely are some spy pictures and not even an official title yet. I'll watch the trailer. I can give it that. But I don't want or need more and I sincerely doubt there is a large enough audience that's really clamoring for more. Maybe I'm totally wrong.

What I am looking forward to is renewed interest in the series which will ensure the demand for props and costume items which means more availability of both for me as a collector and as a maker. That will be awesome! The film isn't the priority for me though.

This production has been set back a number of times. It was originally slated for release in 2019. They've had a number of setbacks prior to filming and even during filming. Apparently there was a viral outbreak of some kind on location, though I don't know if it was COVID and then there was Harrison's shoulder injury. Productions this troubled don't always spell disaster but it certainly doesn't help matters.

It would be great if this movie pulled a Star Wars and totally defied all conventional wisdom and expectation, but the likelihood of that is so slim that I wouldn't count on it.

2023? That's probably 1.5 years after the end of the (current) shooting schedule.

I smell major reshoots. This might be another case of LFL trying to finish a different movie than they started. It would fit the rumor mill and Kennedy's track record.

Given the fact that Disney pushed Marvel movie release dates as well, its doubtful any of that holds water. This might have to do with the fallout from the issues going on with IATSE strike.

Precisely!

As for the director, I don't doubt Mangold's talent. That's not the part that I'm calling into question so much as the story which just sounds bad. You can only do so much if you're throwing your chips all in on a bad idea. Plus I don't exactly trust names anymore. It's not like Spielberg or Lucas escaped making duds and those guys created Indiana Jones. Even within their creation there were questionable choices made. I'm looking at you Crystal Skull.

I acknowledge all we have concretely are some spy pictures and not even an official title yet. I'll watch the trailer. I can give it that. But I don't want or need more and I sincerely doubt there is a large enough audience that's really clamoring for more. Maybe I'm totally wrong.

What I am looking forward to is renewed interest in the series which will ensure the demand for props and costume items which means more availability of both for me as a collector and as a maker. That will be awesome! The film isn't the priority for me though.

Are Lucas or Spielberg even involved with this one?

As far as I'm aware neither one is involved in any meaningful capacity. Apparently Steven has producer credit according to David Koepp who worked closely with Steven to develop and write Crystal Skull and who was slated to help develop Indy 5. But no one could agree on all the elements which is when Steven stepped away and Koepp also moved on. I have yet to see any mention of George's involvement at all.

Worth considering: lockdowns (and upcoming ones?) and vaccination passes. Top Gun comes to mind.
Releasing a 300M movie with a breakeven probably near a billion when only half of theater seats are available while banning half of the audience for not being vaccinated surely affects release dates.

I don't stop much in this forum because I'm here for props and collecting, and movie discussion is kind of unrelated. But considering Indy is my favorite series to collect from, I've been following this film if only to check out how they're handling it, in a mostly process-focused way. Ironically, the amount of stuff leaking is so staggering one can easily put together half the storyline by now, and we've had good looks at the gear and sets.

I've spoiled myself of everything because I really don't care much about the movie anyway. Once Disney bought Lucasfilm and Lucas stepped away, Spielberg following suit was just a matter of time. Everything that made that company what it was ended in 2012, and this has been proven time and again since then. The fifth Indy will be no different. Just like Star Wars, these were artist-driven movies made with almost total creative freedom, and that's just not the context you have under a corporation. Remove the creators, and all meaning and reason to even make the movie in the first place simply falls apart. There can be no Indiana Jones without Spielberg and Lucas, and not even by hiring James Mangold, talented as he is, can you get away from that fact. There's actually a pretty good chance that Crystal Skull will be re-evaluated as soon as this film comes out, and many of its flaws may be overlooked while its individual touch and honest approach to the character get noticed. This already happened with the Star Wars prequels anyway.

Now, that said, about the new one:

- I like what they've done with the hat and the jacket. The jacket actually resembles a Steele & Jones replica, and feels more worn-out and better fitted than the one used in Crystal Skull (yet, I think going with an oversize in Crystal Skull was a good call considering Ford's physique back then).
- The pink trousers are bizarre and stick out like a sore thumb. The color just doesn't match the rest of the outfit and I wonder if they'll correct this in post when it's time to grade the picture.
- I'm very much Team Inside when it comes to the bag strap, I don't understand why they placed it outside in Crystal Skull, and I still don't here. Perhaps because a tighter strap looks unflattering in older Ford's chest? In any case, since he's wearing the bag on the opposite side in the fifth movie, now having the buckle show in the back is a major eyesore and that I certainly can't understand how the costume department thought was ok. We'll see in the final movie I guess.
- The lack of front stripes on the shirt for the 1969 sequences is an interesting choice and something closer to what I wish they would've done with the pants if the idea was to update them as WWII gear. It's subtle, and nice.

Now, if it were up to me, I would've made Indy look even more different though. One doesn't wear the same stuff all through his life, even Tintin changed his pants in the 1970s. Admittedly, Indy's look is too damn iconic to change it, but I think if you're gonna have a 70 year old version of the character on screen you should at least adapt it. It's what George Lucas did with the 93 year old Indy in the TV show. Keep the hat, keep the jacket, keep the whip, certainly keep the colors, but maybe be bolder with the other choices. But this has really more to do with storytelling and the idea that a 70 year old Indiana Jones cannot be the same as a 39 year old one. You can maybe take it as far as 58 with Crystal Skull, but beyond that, the story would have to adapt to the fact that he's now elderly. But we all know that's not what the fans will want, and neither will Disney. Oh well.

I hate the omission of the front plackets. The front plackets and epaulettes on the shoulders are what defines the shirt as a safari shirt and instantly scream adventure, if even on a subscious level. He could easily be wearing a pith helmet with that shirt. Yet it works for the costume and sets it apart from just a button up shirt. I actually don't care for any aspect of this costume. To my eye the hat bash with a tapered crown, wide brim with western style swoop all resemble a cowboy hat more than Indy's fedora.

The bag being worn outside the jacket was something I wasn't happy with for Crystal Skull either considering it inhibits movement of the jacket and seeing the bag worn backwards now is another annoyance. I just don't think any part of this costume looks flattering on Ford either. The flat front pants vs. pleated is a strange change as well and like you said the color is just off. I have yet to see Indy's firearm or holster in spy pictures and I have a sneaking suspicion that he won't be using one. He never used it in Crystal Skull, save for drawing it on one occaision but he never fired it. He hasn't been spotted yet with a gun belt either and his whip holder appears to be attached to his web belt like in Crystal Skull.

I'm aware that each film has a different iteration of the costume and I can accept that it's necessary to perhap make changes to make it correct or relevant to the period in which this movie will take place, but I just don't care for the choices made on this one. The film itself is actually something I'm beginning to dread because I have a feeling it's going to tank. Having a lackluster version of the costume, being a costume designer myself, it just makes the movie that much more of a hard sell for me. Plus it just got pushed back another year until 2023. Hopefully wiser heads will prevail and they'll cancel the project.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back