Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

Well, at least they're consistent.

Star Wars, Indy, and even Willow all destroyed. Well done Lucasfilm. (y)

I guess Harrison Ford also likes not being a great father as well. He admits he cheated on his first two wives (Not a good father) and all three of his most famous characters are now horrible, and or absentee dads. Life imitating art.

"Very sad life, probably have very sad death,. At least there is symmetry."
Wait...

Are you saying an one of the biggest Hollywood actors in the world, who was a MEGA-star in the 70's & 80's, was NOT faithful to EITHER of his first two wives & essentially violated the sacred oath of marriage he took.

INCONCEIVABLE!!!

(yeah... I used that correctly)

Look, if we're going to use the moral high ground to justify an opinion of why we don't care for a film or show, then either stop watching ALL entertainment, or shut down this whole section. Hollywood is a filthy, morally bankrupt, fallacy land, & pretty much has been since it's inception.

It's been mentioned several times how he was over 30 & nailing Carrie Fisher when she was still a (legal) teen, but it makes the same sense as saying that's why I like how Han Solo's story played out in the OT.

... & While I'm up here, I think it needs to be a forum standard that if we're attacking someone for their looks, it MUST be accompanied by a recent family photo... Mom, dad, in-laws, spouses, AND kids. Let everyone get in on the fun.

I am NOT a Harrison Ford fan, however, I am a fan of the characters he's played.
Folks, you have GOT to separate the art from the artist.
Many years ago, my ex wife said she hated Steven Segal because he's been arrested for beating up his ex wife (Kelly LeBrock) several times. Now, keep in mind, I am by no means a fan of Steven Segal but I always found it unfair that she would ban his movies because of the jerk he was in real life.

I love Temple of Doom. It's dark, violent and right in line with the pulp adventure serials and novels that inspired it. Some of the tropes are more glaring in today's light, but overall it's a damn fun movie with Indy being a total badass. And Short Round is a great sidekick. Mola Ram is also terrifying as a villain, even to this day. He's truly frightening.
I like the part where the jerk with the whip who abuses the kids gets his caboose handed to him by a VERY angry Indy.

I think Kathleen Kennedy is a complicated figure. On the one hand, she delivered bank for Disney/LFL with the sequel trilogy. On the other hand, she took an approach to other Star Wars films that wound up costing the company money (e.g., tapping the guys who wrote 21 Jump Street to do the Solo film). Now, I really enjoyed Solo, but I fully recognize that that was a massive screwup, and much of what I like is probably down to Ron Howard having stepped in.

I think the development of the full sequel trilogy for Star Wars was...not great. Again, you had her tapping a director who wound up bailing on the third installment. And that resulted in a rushed production with JJ Abrams coming back, which in turn led to a really uneven "trilogy" that to me feels more like a trilogy in name only. I love TLJ (as many of you know), but it sticks out like a sore thumb in that series of films. It's not just tonally different, it's conceptually different; it's trying to be an entirely different kind of film than the two JJ helmed ones.

JJ is interested in building rollercoasters, and mystery boxes, and Rian Johnson wasn't interested in either. You could maybe have made the trilogy work with a 3rd film that acts as a fusion of styles, but that didn't happen so we get "Somehow, Palpatine returned." (I'm sure it's all "fully explained" in the novelization/comicbook adaptation/something other than the film that I never bothered with).

On the other hand, I think that the shows that have aired on Disney+ have been terrific. The Mandalorian is fantastic. I liked the Book of Boba Fett. I also really enjoyed Kenobi. And I'm looking forward to Ahsoka. And Andor was pure genius. Again, I recognize I'm in the minority here. But I think, overall, that those shows have been well received, and they've acted as flagship shows for Disney+. So in that sense, I'd say KK has succeeded.

I think the real issue has a lot less to do with her, and a lot more to do with our culture overall.

We are at a moment of great transition. We've been here for several years, but I think everyone sort of senses it on some level, especially in their "lizard brains." The world feels like it's standing at the edge of....something. Waiting for the "next thing" to happen, for some sea change to occur, for the future to make itself clear.

But while we're doing that, we are firmly rooted in the past.

We keep getting "legacy sequels" and remakes and branded properties and such. And yes, there's innovation in there, but it's like we're just holding on so tightly to this past. Probably because we're really having to come to grips with the notion that it's fading and when it's gone, we have to admit that there's nothing we can do to bring it back.

Wait...

Are you saying an one of the biggest Hollywood actors in the world, who was a MEGA-star in the 70's & 80's, was NOT faithful to EITHER of his first two wives & essentially violated the sacred oath of marriage he took.

INCONCEIVABLE!!!

Yeah, I doubt Harrison is sad at all... I mean he nailed Carrie Fisher for god's sake (and who knows how many other gorgeous women). Sad isn't the same as having judgment based on belief systems. I doubt it bothers Harrison one bit. Rich, famous, beloved by millions, tons of beautiful women. I'm sure he cries himself to sleep every night.

(yeah... I used that correctly)

Look, if we're going to use the moral high ground to justify an opinion of why we don't care for a film or show, then either stop watching ALL entertainment, or shut down this whole section. Hollywood is a filthy, morally bankrupt, fallacy land, & pretty much has been since it's inception.

It's been mentioned several times how he was over 30 & nailing Carrie Fisher when she was still a (legal) teen, but it makes the same sense as saying that's why I like how Han Solo's story played out in the OT.

I still watch Tom Cruise movies. I mean the guy is talented. I don't really care what he believes. It does bother me more about Steven Seagal as Under Siege was one of my favorite action movies and there's a difference between believing nonsense or even living in Russia in these times and beating your wife. A real man doesn't beat women.

... & While I'm up here, I think it needs to be a forum standard that if we're attacking someone for their looks, it MUST be accompanied by a recent family photo... Mom, dad, in-laws, spouses, AND kids. Let everyone get in on the fun.

I'm sorry, but you lost me here entirely. If had Kathleen's money, I could afford to fix an ugly nose and public commentary is the price of being famous (or in her case infamous for destroying Star Wars). Frankly, if I had her kind of money, I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm sorry, but you lost me here entirely. If had Kathleen's money, I could afford to fix an ugly nose and public commentary is the price of being famous (or in her case infamous for destroying Star Wars). Frankly, if I had her kind of money, I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.
Thanks for the interaction, but I categorically disagree with pretty much all of this.

Firstly, By your reasoning, public commentary is the price of simply being in the public, since 'Fame' is only being known by a larger amount of said public. The real difference is that most will never be face to face a famous person, so we find it easier to snipe from the bushes where we can do the damage & then ghost out without ever being held accountable.

Second, who is ANYONE to determine, or especially, suggest that someone needs to alter their appearance because someone else deems it 'unattractive'? Again, if that's going to be fair game, then let's post our own family pics for the same roasting. I specifically say family pics, because most of us can take it, but let our wives, kids, or moms get drug over the coals & see if we can take that with a smile.

I'm not naive... I know this is the Internet & that's what people do, but for all it's faults, I still want to hold this forum to a better standard.

Finally, some may not hold it in the same regard, but a "REAL MAN", in my book isn't going to cause ANY harm to a woman, be it physical, emotional, or psychological. A 'man' may never lay a finger on his wife, but when I hear something like , "Let's go fat ass!" or the classic, "Are you stupid?", both of which I've heard recently in public, then he's less than something I'd want to scrape off the bottom of my shoe.

Thanks for the interaction, but I categorically disagree with pretty much all of this.

Firstly, By your reasoning, public commentary is the price of simply being in the public, since 'Fame' is only being known by a larger amount of said public. The real difference is that most will never be face to face a famous person, so we find it easier to snipe from the bushes where we can do the damage & then ghost out without ever being held accountable.

Second, who is ANYONE to determine, or especially, suggest that someone needs to alter their appearance because someone else deems it 'unattractive'? Again, if that's going to be fair game, then let's post our own family pics for the same roasting. I specifically say family pics, because most of us can take it, but let our wives, kids, or moms get drug over the coals & see if we can take that with a smile.

I'm not naive... I know this is the Internet & that's what people do, but for all it's faults, I still want to hold this forum to a better standard.

Finally, some may not hold it in the same regard, but a "REAL MAN", in my book isn't going to cause ANY harm to a woman, be it physical, emotional, or psychological. A 'man' may never lay a finger on his wife, but when I hear something like , "Let's go fat ass!" or the classic, "Are you stupid?", both of which I've heard recently in public, then he's less than something I'd want to scrape off the bottom of my shoe.
You can start your shoe scraping any time you want as you clearly have zero problems insulting others if they don't fit your particular belief system. In my neck of the woods that's called hypocrisy, not a "higher standard".

I subscribe to the George Carlin system of honesty rather than lying to protect feelings. I'm overweight. If I want to not to be viewed as fat, I know what I have to do. It's not like I'm magically unaware I'm fat and that most people don't find distorted faces and bulging guts sexy, but hey, whatever floats your boat. That's what makes America great. You can pursue whatever (legal) thing turns you on. It doesn't bother me one bit what others like or do.

What I don't like is some group telling me I have to lie about my opinions or even reality itself because they don't agree with my view/opinions. Lying is not part of my belief system and my degrees are in Electronic Engineering, not virtue signaling. If I think KK or even JJ Abrams (and by extension Disney for letting 3 directors tell three uncoordinated stories) ruined Star Wars, that's my opinion. You're free to express your opinion how beautiful and awesome KK is and what a great job Disney has been doing. I won't even compare you to crap on my shoe for doing so. Imagine that.

I am NOT a Harrison Ford fan, however, I am a fan of the characters he's played.
Folks, you have GOT to separate the art from the artist.
Many years ago, my ex wife said she hated Steven Segal because he's been arrested for beating up his ex wife (Kelly LeBrock) several times. Now, keep in mind, I am by no means a fan of Steven Segal but I always found it unfair that she would ban his movies because of the jerk he was in real life.
So true. Between all the crazy stuff and weird beliefs famous people can have, I usually only prefer the roles they do. Likewise, if a role wasn't so great, don't attack the actor, it was more likely an issue with the writing or directing. Of course there are bad actors as well.
I also think, that even though I wasn't alive during the whole Beatle craze of the 60s, to many people seemed to worship the guys. I enjoy their music, but them themselves....who cares.

You can start your shoe scraping any time you want as you clearly have zero problems insulting others if they don't fit your particular belief system. In my neck of the woods that's called hypocrisy, not a "higher standard".

I subscribe to the George Carlin system of honesty rather than lying to protect feelings. I'm overweight. If I want to not to be viewed as fat, I know what I have to do. It's not like I'm magically unaware I'm fat and that most people don't find distorted faces and bulging guts sexy, but hey, whatever floats your boat. That's what makes America great. You can pursue whatever (legal) thing turns you on. It doesn't bother me one bit what others like or do.

What I don't like is some group telling me I have to lie about my opinions or even reality itself because they don't agree with my view/opinions. Lying is not part of my belief system and my degrees are in Electronic Engineering, not virtue signaling. If I think KK or even JJ Abrams (and by extension Disney for letting 3 directors tell three uncoordinated stories) ruined Star Wars, that's my opinion. You're free to express your opinion how beautiful and awesome KK is and what a great job Disney has been doing. I won't even compare you to crap on my shoe for doing so. Imagine that.
I'm not a fan of KK, & have no idea where anything I said would express that I was... I was referring to attacking the looks they were born with to imply that was fair game because they aren't liked, & if you go back to what I posted, unless YOU YOURSELF said the things I quoted to a lady, then I wasn't talking about you.

I take that back... I can see where it seems like I was calling you a hypocrite if you think hitting a woman is not ok but demeaning their looks was. A 'Real Man' as you said 1000% doesn't hit women, but they also don't change who they are depending on the circumstances.

I said what I said, with no intention of insulting you. That wasn't even on my radar, so if I did, I'm sorry you took it that way, but I'll stand by it

We are at a moment of great transition. We've been here for several years, but I think everyone sort of senses it on some level, especially in their "lizard brains." The world feels like it's standing at the edge of....something. Waiting for the "next thing" to happen, for some sea change to occur, for the future to make itself clear.

But while we're doing that, we are firmly rooted in the past.

We keep getting "legacy sequels" and remakes and branded properties and such. And yes, there's innovation in there, but it's like we're just holding on so tightly to this past. Probably because we're really having to come to grips with the notion that it's fading and when it's gone, we have to admit that there's nothing we can do to bring it back.

Who were the entertainment heroes of our youth? In Western culture, so much of our individual identity revolves around the artists we enjoyed growing up. They became part of the immortality that almost every child/teenager innately feels; the soundtrack to our lives. Musicians, singers, actors are larger than life, and when they start to die, it's one of the many ways we are confronted with our own mortality. And it can be scary.

I was watching Mark Hamill speak at Carrie Fisher's Walk of Fame star dedication. People mentioned he has lost weight... I hope in a healthy way. Mark (and his daughter and wife) were just on the recent Bert Kreischer's webcast talking about their upcoming movie "The Machine." I noticed in BOTH instances that Mark has a more obvious pause in his speech... he's stopping mid sentence to take a breath, like there's a subtle respiratory issue. I believe he was a smoker at one point so I am hoping that he is not starting to have pulmonary issues.

When Carrie passed, I felt it... a little. When Mark and Harrison pass, I will feel it... a lot.

Celebrities -

IMO the public's entitlement to pick on people's appearances is commeasurate with the person's willingness to market themselves & make money on it.

Kathleen Kennedy never tried to make money/success on her looks so I won't go there. Kennedy did get paid millions of dollars to screw up George Lucas's franchises so I will lay into her for that.

Harrison - I'll lay off his personal life because he has spent decades not trying to put his personal life or morals in my face. All he ever seemed to want to be is a working actor with a side order of a few environmental speeches. Seems harmless enough. The world is packed full of guys who have treated wives worse than he did.

Steven Seagal . . . I think God put him on this earth just to remind us that life isn't fair. I vote for going open-season on him. His appearance. His weight. Acting. Singing. Claim that he used to wet the bed as a kid. Anything. He's a boss-level dirtbag by all accounts with a history of sexual & non-sexual assaults.

But you can not agree with an actor, a director, or a studio, having opinions and choices that you feel are “woke”, right? You are constantly bashing projects and Disney for being “woke”, and publicly stating how much you despise it. In fact, you are one of the few here that love to throw that word around a lot. So, from what I read, YOU ARE saying, it’s ok to insult them since they are woke, and “don’t fit your particular belief system”? :unsure:

IMG_1009.jpeg

...Folks, you have GOT to separate the art from the artist.

A lot of people get funny about their "heroes" when they find out they're just people like everyone else. I can remember a lot of friends who stopped listening to Elton John's music when the first rumors about his sexuality began circulating back in the mid-70s. "Wait, he's gay??? Oh my God, now I have to burn all of his albums and find someone else to listen to." Why? I never understood that.

A lot of people get funny about their "heroes" when they find out they're just people like everyone else. I can remember a lot of friends who stopped listening to Elton John's music when the first rumors about his sexuality began circulating back in the mid-70s. "Wait, he's gay??? Oh my God, now I have to burn all of his albums and find someone else to listen to." Why? I never understood that.
Exactly. And today, a lot of people, and a few people here, would be up in arms that he even came out publicly, and would automatically slam him as Elton “woke” John. They would never listen to him again as his music may, get this…. “Actually turn them gay”. And let their children listen to him? “Hell no!”. :lol:

But you can not agree with an actor, a director, or a studio, having opinions and choices that you feel are “woke”, right? You are constantly bashing projects and Disney for being “woke”, and publicly stating how much you despise it. In fact, you are one of the few here that love to throw that word around a lot. So, from what I read, YOU ARE saying, it’s ok to insult them since they are woke, and “don’t fit your particular belief system”? :unsure:

View attachment 1704785
You seem to be confusing personal insults with disgust at a hypocritical ideology that had no place in a comedy about two morons that save the world with their music, the entire premise of which was tossed in the toilet and flushed by said movie in favor of shoving said ideology down our throats at the cost of anything funny at all. The fact that George Carlin was in the first two movies (the comedy king of anti-PC) made it all the more insulting.

Some of us simply want politically motivated garbage left out of our movies, especially comedies that seem to be all but extinct in an environment where a mere two people whining about being "offended" by something trivial is enough to cancel a movie these days. Some of us simply want to be entertained not lectured! I have the same issue with ANY form of proselytizing, particularly concert or die/cancel methodologies. I might even agree with what they believe, but not the methods employed. Crusading is bad IMO. I don't like KK because she and Disney destroyed a once beloved franchise.

I'll leave it at that as political crap is not supposed to be discussed here. If you want a detailed explanation for my opinions, I'd be happy to provide them in private.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back