Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

That's not greed, it's called business. You forget, and I've said dozens of times previously in other threads, Hollywood (outside of indie studios) is not in the business of making movies, they're in the business of making money and movies just happen to be how they make they make their money. So, whatever kind of movie they think is going to make them the most money is the kind of movie they're going to make.

To add to that, there are 2 main factors contributing to the current trend of reboots, remakes, sequels, and prequels (which has been going on for a lot longer than people seem to think). One factor is risk, your Summer blockbuster/tentpole movies (a concept that really didn't exist prior to the release of Jaws or the original Star Wars) have gotten really expensive to produce. They often feature a well known director, at least 1 or 2 big named actors which all drive up the cost of production. As a result, Hollywood has become risk averse because there's a lot of money on the line, too much to risk on a potential flop. So what do they do? They go back to what's worked before, if audiences liked X, then surely they want to see more of X and that's why they make all of these sequels and prequels. That or they want to capitalize on nostalgia and so they do a remake of an older, often, but not always, well known/beloved film or TV show.

The other factor that comes into play is the foreign box office, particularly China, Because of the foreign box office, a movie no longer has to do well in the US to make its money. It can actually not quite make a profit in the US but do extremely well overseas and it's considered a success, enough to warrant a sequel. So Hollywood makes movies that work well overseas, movies with simplified plots but lots of action because action is universal and crosses any and all language barriers. This is also why they like the remake/reboots, for foreign audiences, once again, particularly China, it's new to them. They don't see a remake of some old movie or TV show as ruining a piece of their childhood because it was never a part of their childhood, to begin with. It's just another Hollywood blockbuster to them and that's all that matters to them and to Hollywood.
Yeah, but that logic means that they'd rather risk a crapload of money, say the 450M (incl advertising) put into Justice League, where they have to make an unthinkable haul (900M) to simply break even than to invest 50M in something new across the board that, uh, might break even.

Seems like business has, like society, gotten very lazy. They shouldn't have to work for the money, it should just be handed to them. They shouldn't try to make something that people want to see or will like - we should just give them money for whatever garbage they want to to dump on us. Marvel did an enormous amount of work and created an amazing universe. Lucasfilm has Star Wars, which again was built on hard work. It's a rarity. Others simply feel as if they're owed one. Those guys have one, we should too! It's not fair we don't have one! So they simply dump garbage out and blame everyone else because they don't have 'a universe'.

Kind of like the simpon's, i'm sure there's some rich twit out there was a room full of monkey's at typewriters trying to find the next great book because they're too lazy to do it themselves. I mean, seriously, We're now rebooting movies and TV shows that haven't been gone 10 years! Seems to be the definition of creatively bankrupt. If you're that risk averse, invest in savings bonds, TV and movies are not for you!

First of all...
3eefd40ef512daeb0961459beab189e058b53c9c9233209b4fef75d5f7b3f462_1.jpg

The last three pages have been almost nothing but...
297.jpg

The world isn't going to hell in a hand basket, we're just getting old. Don't fall into the chronocentric trap of "everything was better in the good old days", it wasn't. The generation before us told us that crap too! It's hard to accept but just be glad we get to enjoy things from the past and when you're feeling down just tie an onion to your belt and harken back to when that was the style at the time! ;) (y)

On topic: Anyone hear about HF getting replaced for everything but close up work for the rest of the movie, due to his injury?

On topic: Anyone hear about HF getting replaced for everything but close up work for the rest of the movie, due to his injury?

There have been lots of leaked or "spy" set photos posted on the internet that would seem to make this the case. There have been multiple IJ stunt doubles spotted. So, yeah I'd say thats probably true.

It certainly doesn't excuse making terrible reboots, but I can certainly understand why they would do it.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying it's kind of sad. Everyone needs to make a living (unless you're already filthy rich), but a "good" book/movie should sell. Does someone who wants to be a writer set out to scheme of ways to make huge sales selling trashy romance novels to desperate housewives? Yes, some do. We usually consider them hack writers. But do writers who want to write to write think all day about money or do they think of writing the best story they can tell and tell it the way they want to tell it?

We've got studios self-censoring so China doesn't ban their movies. We've got them dumbing down dialog so foreigners and lower-IQ individuals can understand what's going on. At some point, it's not even art anymore. You're right. It's just a business. And it's one of the reasons why I dumped my cable subscription and why I watch so many older movies, back when the script, plot, dialogue and good acting actually mattered. Now the TV really is an "idiot box". Fast & The Furious 28.....

First of all...
View attachment 1476917

View attachment 1476918

The world isn't going to hell in a hand basket, we're just getting old. Don't fall into the chronocentric trap of "everything was better in the good old days", it wasn't. The generation before us told us that crap too! It's hard to accept but just be glad we get to enjoy things from the past and when you're feeling down just tie an onion to your belt and harken back to when that was the style at the time! ;) (y)

I didn't realize I was that old in my 40s. I don't think all the reboots and sequels and lack of original material are just my dementia laden imagination. The '80s made all kinds of crap, for instance, but at least it was original crap. Howard The Duck!? Buckaroo Banzai!?!? Come on. Those movies just wouldn't get made today. But they took chances back then. Video games were crazy. Bubbles?!? Clean the drain? An arcade game? Awesome creativity. Today? Another FPS.

I love how if you're over 35 (when exactly did that become old? lol) and have an issue with something even a small one, it's automatically labeled as "old men yells at cloud" or "old man energy." Seems like a lot of over generalizing. Tone can be hard to convey and sometimes seems to be misinterpreted. These things are subjective though.

Anyhow, yes let's talk more about injuries/maladies, thats something that old people never do :lol:.

It's not your imagination, it's just your subjective taste. There's plenty of original concepts being made, (good and bad) more than ever before because of the ease to make and distribute indie films digitally. Either you aren't actively looking or they just aren't to your personal taste.
Large scale studios are making a lot of sequels and reboots but independent film makers have access to audiences at a scale never dreamed of even 20 years ago.

We've got studios self-censoring so China doesn't ban their movies. We've got them dumbing down dialog so foreigners and lower-IQ individuals can understand what's going on. At some point, it's not even art anymore. You're right. It's just a business. And it's one of the reasons why I dumped my cable subscription and why I watch so many older movies, back when the script, plot, dialogue and good acting actually mattered. Now the TV really is an "idiot box". Fast & The Furious 28.....
That's the thing, the major studios aren't interested in making art, never have been, all they're interested in is making money. If art sells, then that's what they'll make, but if mindless action flicks sell better, then you bet that's what they're going to make. Movies are a business, and always have been nearly from the beginning of cinema.

And before you go on about greed and whatnot, you do realize that the movie/film industry employs tons of people. Not just the creative types but a countless number of people that work on the admin side for the studios. Not to mention that if the studio is public, then their success potentially benefits a whole lot of people with 0 connection to the film industry, because of things like (Roth)IRAs, mutual funds, 401Ks, and other forms of investments, you might actually own shares of these studios (without even knowing it) and so, when they do well, you do well also.

Yes it's a business that caters to what its customers will pay for like any other. If consumers stop buying what they're selling because they're inferior products it's likely they will improve their products. Demand better and you'll get better. Then the film industry can pretend art is important to them and it will be a little more believable lol.

That's the thing, the major studios aren't interested in making art, never have been, all they're interested in is making money. If art sells, then that's what they'll make, but if mindless action flicks sell better, then you bet that's what they're going to make. Movies are a business, and always have been nearly from the beginning of cinema.

And before you go on about greed and whatnot, you do realize that the movie/film industry employs tons of people. Not just the creative types but a countless number of people that work on the admin side for the studios. Not to mention that if the studio is public, then their success potentially benefits a whole lot of people with 0 connection to the film industry, because of things like (Roth)IRAs, mutual funds, 401Ks, and other forms of investments, you might actually own shares of these studios (without even knowing it) and so, when they do well, you do well also.

Yeah, as a consumer, rather than an Economist, telling me crappy movies feed families really doesn't interest me. So do good movies.

As for Indies, they're hit and miss. I want something along the lines of an improved Event Horizon and they offer hole in cellar leads to 24 hours in the past because it doesn't require any special effects, let alone quality actors and there in lies the rub with Indie movies.

Artsy often means Jane Austin imitations not quality SciFi. B-movie SciFi ends up being "Sharknado" far more often than it does something like Tremors.

In fact, Syfy turned down a Tremors TV series starring Kevin Bacon not too long ago (around 2017/18). I always thought Bacon had no interest in Tremors since he didn't sign on for any sequels, but he wanted a quality script and he said Valentine was the only character he actually wondered what he'd be doing in the future.

I read the script summary. It sounded like it could have been interesting, but the Syphilis channel turned it down in favor of Sharknado IV, Desperate bikini babes not at the beach or whatever nonsense it was called instead. Quality means jack to these "businesses". To hell with them.

First of all...
View attachment 1476917

View attachment 1476918

Harrison was also "replaced" in Temple of Doom. Nothing new really.

Th action in this movie . . . it has never been a question of "What can Harrison Ford still do?" It's purely a question of "What will the audience still accept Indiana Jones doing?" The SFX department could give us anything in terms of stunt/action footage. Any shot, with Harrison at any age.

His shoulder injury adds some more complications but it doesn't rule anything out. They will just use more stunt doubles and CGI face-replacements.

Yeah, it would still be an expensive PITA to make Harrison look 35yo for a whole movie. But the difficulty would be the close-up talking & acting shots. The stunts would be the easy part.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back