Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

I suppose. You'd think if you built your career on certain characters that you would at least have some respect for their legacy. Especially at his age.

Last edited:
For the most part I couldn't care less about a movie star's personal finances/ politics, etc. As long as those things don't effect their work, I can overlook them and separate the art from the artist. There are a ton of people whose creative work I enjoy but are despicable people in reality. When their personal lives start bleeding into their films, or they start using it as a platform for moral posturing, I often check out. That goes for lots of people in positions of power or extreme wealth.

Ultimately my opinion on this movie (or any movie for that matter) doesn't amount to anything in the eyes of the studio and my hot takes won't do a damn thing to change the quality of the writing. Despite my frustration, I'm not so much angry as I am exhausted by the way these things play out. I hope one day it starts to change for the better.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't care. He's earned it. However, he's really becoming like Bruce Willis, where he'll be in anything for a buck. I guess Callista wants more money when he drops dead.
Willis' decision makes perfect sense, though, from a financial perspective and wanting to do everything in his power to provide for his family. His diagnosis put a tight clock on his ability to work as an actor, so yeah, he did a crapload of low-budget action flicks where he "phones it in" (which I think is kind of unfair to say, since it's not like he's consciously not giving a crap about his job -- he has diminished capabilities).

Financially, if you know you have maybe 1-5 years, it makes way more sense to do a bunch of smaller paydays that add up than it does to do one or two really big, well regarded films. He probably made more money in that short span than he did in a couple of years doing "A-list" work. And given that there was a very clear end point to his career fast approaching, and maybe one where he couldn't even fully predict the pace of its arrival, he just made bank for a few years and packed it in.

I have zero shade to throw at him, under the circumstances, and I suspect that if I knew I had a ticking clock on my ability to provide for my family, I'd do whatever work would secure the most total amount of money, to make sure they were provided for before the end came.

Agreed about Willis. He was grabbing what he could, while he could.

As for Harrison, I suspect he just likes a meaty acting role more than pleasing fans with the path of the character. This Indy#5 role might not be what we wanted for the character but it was probably interesting for him to act it.

Look at Harrison's reason for wanting Han Solo killed in ESB - it's taken for granted that he was worried about typecasting, wanting to get out of Star Wars, etc. I'm sure that was a big part of it. But also, look at what he actually argued: The character's arc was basically over and there wasn't much else interesting about him. It would give the rest of the movie's drama more punch if he died. Etc. These are artistic & acting reasons.

Also of note - ESB was mostly handled by Kershner & Kurtz on the set every day. So at the time he was arguing to kill Han Solo, Harrison wasn't actually slogging under George Lucas's dialogue & directing. The ESB experience must have been much better for him as an actor. He still argued to kill Han.

I mean, yeah, Harrison seems willing to take a payday. Look at ROTJ. But his motives for Indy#5 are probably not down to that alone. Especially in his late 70s with a quarter-billion dollars in the bank.

Actors make decisions for all kinds of reasons. Maximillian Schell did the captain Nemo role in Disney's "The Black Hole" just because he liked a TV movie that the director had done. Steve Martin did a 'Pink Panther' sequel because he wanted to buy a certain Picasso. Michael Caine did 'JAWS 4' to buy his mom a house and he never even watched the movie. Nicolas Cage keeps making crap movies to stay busy because he gets more dysfunctional when he sits around unoccupied. Etc.

Fans like us, we see these decisions though audience-centric eyes. But to the actors these are day jobs.

Ford is also known to just LOVE playing the role of Indy. He always has. Ford is jealously protective of the role, almost to the point of excessiveness. Ford probably sees this as the final time he may get to play the character, so of course he's going to jump at the chance.

Ultimately my opinion on this movie (or any movie for that matter) doesn't amount to anything in the eyes of the studio and my hot takes won't do a damn thing to change the quality of the writing. Despite my frustration, I'm not so much angry as I am exhausted by the way these things play out. I hope one day it starts to change for the better.
No, it doesn't matter, which is why I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to watch movies that I had no confidence in. I am not giving any of my money to Disney, no matter what they do. I don't support anything that Kathleen Kennedy does and so long as Disney is in charge of these franchises, they can make movies without my financial support. I haven't been wrong yet. It's almost all been crap.

Ford is also known to just LOVE playing the role of Indy. He always has. Ford is jealously protective of the role, almost to the point of excessiveness. Ford probably sees this as the final time he may get to play the character, so of course he's going to jump at the chance.
Except he clearly doesn't because if he did, he would have stopped after Last Crusade. The last two movies were (or will be) complete garbage that have done nothing but harm the character.

I stopped buying years ago too. That's the beauty of a free market.
Yes it is. It's why, as far as I'm concerned, Star Wars ended in 1983. I don't care about anything else since. Rogue One was decent, I actually bought that on Bluray, but otherwise, the only time I ever see this stuff is when Rifftrax does it. I feel really sorry for people who are still desperately looking for good movies to come out of these franchises. I expect it to be crap and I haven't been wrong yet.

Sorry, lemme re-emphasize that. HE likes being Indiana Jones. He doesn't give a **** if you don't like him being Indiana Jones.
He likes BEING Indiana Jones but I don't know how much he cares about the character. It's just a role. Unlike, say, Henry Cavill, who loved BEING Geralt, Cavill actually cared how the character was portrayed and when it all went sideways, with a writing room who neither cared, nor liked the lore, he told them to get stuffed and went elsewhere.

For the most part I couldn't care less about a movie star's personal finances/ politics, etc. As long as those things don't effect their work, I can overlook them and separate the art from the artist. There are a ton of people whose creative work I enjoy but are despicable people in reality. When their personal lives start bleeding into their films, or they start using it as a platform for moral posturing, I often check out. That goes for lots of people in positions of power or extreme wealth.

Sorry, I couldn't help it

& I agree with you

J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back