incredible hulk costume build

Sorry guys, hate to let you down. Haven't made any progress lately. I hope to get started again soon. Finally got a little table to work on so I don't have to use the kitchen countertop. So just waiting on getting finances stabilized, with the new kid here things have gotten spun around. Of course he also was born in the middle of me making some major investments(major for me) spending almost 20,000. So as you can imagine almost everything has gone on hold till that's done.

Hey guys, first time on here in awhile. Thanks for keeping interest. I have recently cleaned out the garage, and got a table to work on. Also sold one car, still trying to sell another two, tree if you count my girlfriends tracker. Cutting down on those. Anyways, im hoping to get the foam, and possibly PVC pipes soon to start Doing some real life designing. Im thinking about skipping the skeleton to begin with and simply make a bodysuit that would give me hulk proportions for my height. Im 6'3"
Im sorry to say I don't have any images to upload yet. But perhaps this weekend I can get started making the muscles and post something. And general Juan great cap costume. I wish I had stuck out the gym so I could have done a Thor this year, was up to around 210 with 11% bf last October, then I stopped working out, im back down to about 199 with a 15-18%bf :( at 6'3 that's not good lol. I'd be a skinny fat Thor. Lol

Im actually surprised there are not more examples of people doing the hulk. I know its a difficult one to so, but I cant imagine the first couple ironman costumes were easy. The pep advancement has made it much easier for "amateurs" to pull off, but before that...its not a race for me, but I would be pretty excited if I did happen to be the first successful person to pull off a decent full size hulk. Full size aiming for 7-8ft. Im still torn between going for the exoskeleton approach, or just making it a muscle suit. Muscle suit would be easier, but will greatly limit the size I could go for. A wearable pupet could be easier, but would look funny I think.

What I always thought would be cool is if someone did Hulk like they did Mr. Hyde when they were shooting League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Not the best movie, I know, but the way they did Hyde as a practical creature was fantastic, and I think someone on these boards could pull that off AWESOMELY for a decent Hulk costume.

Check out what they did for Mr. Hyde in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. This should give you a few ideas. For the hands, you can make them fairly easily-check out My Wampa Costume on You Tube.

alright mike check it out first your going to have to worry about the frame work i've seen some cool stuff done with pvc and tubing to get the height you'll have to relay on stilts and then the foam work hope you can sculpt electric knives are great for this but you can go through quite a few blades that way but it'll be worth it and then to finish it off i would coat it with some kind of rubbery stuff but remember latex and silicone don't mix that's where i'd start

you are going through the same stages i went through. you wanted it all, then settled for less,then dropped the project. then you came back.....

...i plan to get my project done over the coarse of years now. it's too big like yours, and there is little that came before.

we have the same basic problem though. the legs. unlike my full size sentinel, which has room to move my legs up, and wide feet, you have nowhere to hide your feet when you make the porportions bigger overall.

im going to tell you now, you will not be comfortable with this thing on. no matter what. the best you can hope for is a movie quality look, and a fully functioning body(hands that can hold a can of soda, walk a stairway, etc).

i suggest going for a 10 foot build. and putting your feet at a angle. make a special footwear device that will hold your foot like a woman's 6 inch pump heel. at 10 feet tall, you should be able to cram that into what would be the middle lower leg. your knee would be his knee. his head would be well above yours, but with camera's and a television visor on, you will be able to see out. moving arms hands and neck all done by strings.

it would work i think. just like a mini version of mine, save i need my feet above the knee, or a full robotic kit waist down. you can still just suffer, net full range of movement, and look good without dropping tens of thousands of dollars, unlike me.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/has-anyone-attempted-life-size-x-men-sentinel-suit-128690/

good luck on your project. ill bookmark it. i love to steal ideas. and im betting you might solve some of my problems as you work on this one. thanks, and good luck!

ohhh edit: finished hulk... with limited movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKf46AlpndE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmpVAOpwfyw&feature=fvwrel

same tech done better as a rock golem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfpNapnElhE&feature=related

edit again: hulk made with shifting plates is a bad idea. rubber might be best. just keep the molds around to replace the parts once every 4 years. this person has experimented before you in this style. the comments section there says volumes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwO6vWjSB0A&NR=1

further edit: i am sure of the 10 foot tall hulk. offical statue, and your desired "look":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c01fOxxk4k&feature=related

edit yet again..... those hulk statues are here and there, mostly at movie theatres.... scan one somehow in 3-d and that would solve alot of sculpting/mold problems.... but it would also be recasting..... sort of. no? yes?

Last edited:
Wow, ok...so here we go. Looch thanks, I've already seen it. That does look amazing. I dont have access to that kind of tech, not to mention the power source I assume is external......but if I could! :)

Ironman, read my previous posts. I've covered those topics.

Anubis, thanks for all the links, I've seen most of those links during my research. I agree...its not going to be an easy one. Looking at all the hulks and big characters made that ive came across, some have good concepts, but i think they can be improved. I also am an artist and fairly good at sculpting. As well as having a background in various mechanical and structural careers so I have a good idea how things work. Though this is a new field for me so it will take some trial and error.

my concepts involve semi floating muscle pieces allowing the muscles to flex and move as I move. The external skin as I stated in previous posts on this, is going to be a type of silicone that simulates flesh like feel, and allows for flexibility to keep it from ripping.

For now im going to do a 1st prototype just using my own proportions....6'3" 205lbs with a prosthetic mask, contacts, then a muscle suit that I will sculpt and attach to a underarmor type outfit. Once muscles are shaped, and I have tested movement and possibly adjusted the muscles to allow for better freedom of movement I will use a soft flexible rubber hoses of different sizes to simulate veins which I will glue in place to the muscles trying to simulate real locations as best I can, then I will spray on the skin in multiple layers and colors to simulate the realistic coloring of skin(only green of course)

Maybe laterwhen I have more free time I will try and do the 8foot design with skeleton I sketchted out.(see previous posts)

Haha, grave hope that's not a bad wow.
I forgot to mention earlier guys that im going to be making a duct tape dummy this weekend. I'll post pics, and possibly a YouTube video link.

Ok, so I again am trying to post the pics from my phone, last time it didn't show up for awhile, so I'll check again later and hopefully they went through. Anyways I made the duct tape dummy, still need to stuff it. That'll be this weekend. Also, I found this site which looks pretty useful for people on here. Check it out The FX Lab

It has tutorials, and links to info for doing a lot of spfx stuff.

Since I've changed my approach to the hulk some, I am trying to re-think how to do the muscles, im thinking now about making a semi flexible shell that would give the undershape, and allow full movement, then glue the foam to the outside of that, shaping hr muscles before spraying on the skin. What do you think? I'll try and sketch up something tonight to post so you can see what's in my head lol

Checked out the flex designs muscle suits, some impressive stuff there. But I cant see myself paying someone to make it for me. Besides, I could come up with something completely new and original by doing it myself

Ok, so I again am trying to post the pics from my phone, last time it didn't show up for awhile, so I'll check again later and hopefully they went through. Anyways I made the duct tape dummy, still need to stuff it. That'll be this weekend. Also, I found this site which looks pretty useful for people on here. Check it out The FX Lab

It has tutorials, and links to info for doing a lot of spfx stuff.

Since I've changed my approach to the hulk some, I am trying to re-think how to do the muscles, im thinking now about making a semi flexible shell that would give the undershape, and allow full movement, then glue the foam to the outside of that, shaping hr muscles before spraying on the skin. What do you think? I'll try and sketch up something tonight to post so you can see what's in my head lol

Looking very much to those sketches!!!

I've moved back home to Kansas, and I think I'll be starting a more stable job in January. I know I've said this before, but I'm planning to order the materials to start on the "prosthetic" mask. I put "" because I'm hoping i can make it flexible enough to slide over my head, instead of having to glue it on every time I wear it. I seen a new Hulk costume made by another person, they have a post covering it on RPF, but I don't have the link at the moment. They did pretty good, looks like he used a lot of concepts that Harmonic_distortion and I had back when I first started this stuff.
I'll try and find his posts so I can link to it on here if you're interested in seeing them. For now you can see videos of it on youtube, just search " Hulk Costume" Anyways I still think I can do a better job...if I ever start this project other than abstract concepts.

It's hard to believe it's been over a year since I was working on this project. I'm hoping to start it December 2012. Goal is to be COMPLETE before halloween 2013

hulk costume.jpg

a Very rough sketch I did minutes ago of the hulk over myself. This project keeps getting pushed to the side, I really need to get started on it soon.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back