Imperial welding droids I'D Thread

What Guy said was true and funny,

And at one point we did have a thread about swapping kit parts , I merely am after for those who have built other studios and bought more than one kit , I can offer the part money and they can spend it any which way they want , just saving on postage for me would be worth it.

We also had a few guys here cast tremendous tiny parts and are fully trustworthy , and risk is minimal as money wouldn't be the cost of a kit , yes surely I wouldn't give a cent to the sticky thread that's above and wait 6 years for a part.
And the person that would have the rare part would need to trust the caster .
So I can understand them being nervous.

I don't care if it's a cast or not for this build, the turret and helmet we may have to buy though.
I am not interested in buying a kit though and paying someone to make them at a huge profit using everyone hard id work!

If I can score a head casting, I figured I'd just send it to Mike Salzo - he's overloaded so it's no big deal ;)

But all kidding aside, I love his quality and dependability. Now if I can just get him to mail me some of his home cooking...

Hi all what I got so far need more tweaking DSC00396.JPGDSC00397.JPGDSC00398.JPG:cool

A NON PROFIT BUILD OFFERING.
For example,hypothetically speaking,..GUY built this, bye the way awesome!!,little droid.
As a group we could donate to Guy so he covers his costs+effort+time.and breaks even.
Guy casts the parts,calculates the costs of material+time+effort+a little i am doing all the work here bonus and "shares" the raw casted parts with the people who donated.
The more people who donate, the more affordable the model parts will become,...right?
Say,..the total of Guy's built+moulding+casting + effort and bonus is $1200,-
If 10 people donate ,the model kit parts castings will be $120,-
Which is AWESOMELY ATRACTIVE money wise compaired to buying all the kits and Guy has the opportunity to keep building his models without having to eat water and bread only.
In this way we support Guy's hobby and invest in Guy's talents and keep his/our hobby healthy.
Another way could be to donate to a person or a group in order to buy all the donor kits.
In this way the donor kit purchases will be faster achieved,...see it as a group kit hunt,..which i think is more effective than an individual hunt.
Less bidding wars and kit prices sky rocketing because the demand.

The day we killed the studio scale garage kit industry:lol
Let's be honest,. there aren't that many studio scale garage kit producers that really make a living out of it right,..they are all in it for the passion.
Most of them say they just break even,...the big fishes will survive.
The claim that eventually ,not my words but, "nice-n slow"will put you to sleep is not of any concern.
He can have his claim on the complete kits.
Besides the group offerings will be raw casted parts only,..the main structures have to be scratch built by the builder so there is no concurence what so ever.
SHARING IS CARING!
I can allready imagine the future "kickstarter""crowd funding" threads "investors/donators wanted for for,..Tie-fighter parts,esb AT-ST parts,Y-Wing parts etc.
couldn't that be FUN;)

i see the nipple part e4, but I think it is sitting in a round part! I dont have the kit in hand but when I do I will look at it. Maybe someone could post a better picof these parts!

l think the e4 is sitting in this part which is also from the Renault!!

Here is a pic of that other part that you were talking about!!

If I can score a head casting, I figured I'd just send it to Mike Salzo - he's overloaded so it's no big deal ;)

But all kidding aside, I love his quality and dependability. Now if I can just get him to mail me some of his home cooking...
Hey Jason can you ask them how the head is attached and get back with me? I figured if I do get it off I would get salzo to do it too!!

A NON PROFIT BUILD OFFERING.
For example,hypothetically speaking,..GUY built this, bye the way awesome!!,little droid.
As a group we could donate to Guy so he covers his costs+effort+time.and breaks even.
Guy casts the parts,calculates the costs of material+time+effort+a little i am doing all the work here bonus and "shares" the raw casted parts with the people who donated.
The more people who donate, the more affordable the model parts will become,...right?
Say,..the total of Guy's built+moulding+casting + effort and bonus is $1200,-
If 10 people donate ,the model kit parts castings will be $120,-
Which is AWESOMELY ATRACTIVE money wise compaired to buying all the kits and Guy has the opportunity to keep building his models without having to eat water and bread only.
In this way we support Guy's hobby and invest in Guy's talents and keep his/our hobby healthy.
Another way could be to donate to a person or a group in order to buy all the donor kits.
In this way the donor kit purchases will be faster achieved,...see it as a group kit hunt,..which i think is more effective than an individual hunt.
Less bidding wars and kit prices sky rocketing because the demand.

The day we killed the studio scale garage kit industry:lol
Let's be honest,. there aren't that many studio scale garage kit producers that really make a living out of it right,..they are all in it for the passion.
Most of them say they just break even,...the big fishes will survive.
The claim that eventually ,not my words but, "nice-n slow"will put you to sleep is not of any concern.
He can have his claim on the complete kits.
Besides the group offerings will be raw casted parts only,..the main structures have to be scratch built by the builder so there is no concurence what so ever.
SHARING IS CARING!
I can allready imagine the future "kickstarter""crowd funding" threads "investors/donators wanted for for,..Tie-fighter parts,esb AT-ST parts,Y-Wing parts etc.
couldn't that be FUN;)

And the guy will spent hours making the molds and the castings for free ??

I guess you guys have no idea what amount of time and work is involved to produce casting parts/kits.
Producing the resin kits would cost almost as much than buying all the original kits, these droids are not hot sellers like TIE Fighters or X-Wings.

Agree I don't think guy will be making 10 kits !!
Besides the minute it becomes a job the interest in the maker is lost especially after collecting the money! Lol
Also I think that would suit people who don't have any model kits at all or don't want to do the hard work .
I have been there and in that case you pay what the kit costs!
I doubt guy will do all the hard work in id buy the kits , prepare the kit of the droid , tell you how to assemble it and cast it for you at a collective discounted price !
Don't think it works like that .
In this case I only wanted and repeat it now to buy any duplicate parts for this kit that people won't use at a fair price .

Maybe I should of left this "asking " to a pm style and will apologise to prop collector for derailing the thread.
Jason and Stu has kindly offered already some parts .
Thanks guys

And the guy will spent hours making the molds and the castings for free ??

I guess you guys have no idea what amount of time and work is involved to produce casting parts/kits.
Producing the resin kits would cost almost as much than buying all the original kits, these droids are not hot sellers like TIE Fighters or X-Wings.

I have quite a good idea how much work and time is involved in casting and molding quality parts.
Also notice I am not talking about producing complete kits here,.i am talking about kit parts.
Besides if you read my post you will see that the caster can/will be compensated for his time and effort,.. i am still convinced this is a good way to cut the costs and a good opportunity to built your model with the hard to find kit (casted)parts.
Common,..this thread is allready far in completing the droids so many have allready bought the donorkits,..but in future build reasearch threads this could well be a possibility.
All we have to do is find the caster that is SKILLED enough to realise this without to much struggle ,.time is money so efficiency in time and minimal waste of material is crucial in this case.
MonsieurTox,..you certainly have the skills to pull this off,what's your fee?...how about it ?you want to cast some quality parts?

I can swap a ton of parts if a trooper head becomes available, t62, flack, Renault, Gepard, lamps, wheels for both kits

- - - Updated - - -

This little model will cost over £260 in the UK if you started with no kits 

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f...1861603_6365407312640457343_n_zps0dmnxdph.jpg

yeah!! It cost me around 400 for kits for both droids not including getting the scout trooper molded and casted!!

nice job guy on your droid!! What colors are you using for the paint?

I always had this utopian idea for the people who don't mind to build studio scale models with resin castings,...that if we all buy a kit or two and have somebody cast the kit parts for us we can built a lot of models on a "budget"
Like a collective built.

Or a repository of modelled kit parts that can be downloaded and 3D printed...

I had a similar experience in a deagastini falcon building group on Facebook, one particular person couldn't get into his head that casting all the parts for a falcon was a huge task, they got bent out of shape when it was put to them that it's something no one will want to do.

This thread has naybe 8 or 9 regulars so it's a tiny subject and won't appeal to everyone.

I don't cast, only did it a few times for the PD legs so this is way beyond my skills, the desire to build it was greater than the desire to have the money sat in the bank !!!

So I built it

I never stated that it is an easy task to do but really it is not that difficult to do, but al lot of time goes in the preperation of the parts.
Taking care of undercuts is a major pain if you cast in 1 piece molds
multiple piece molds can take care of that,but will take more rubber,time and common sence.
Most of us can file/sand/dremmel away the resin filled in undercuts,..so raw casts can be made.
Again i was not talking about full kits or even pattern,..JUST one piece mold molded kit parts.
I'll post pictures later to show that it can be done(if i can pull it off anyone can), the paterns/kit parts,molds and cast results.
Now,..i do not want to give the impression here that i would like offer my services,..i have my hands full allready.
Someone could do it though(a hired gun),. and in the future i could give it a shot and/or someone else

more:lolFoto0288.jpgFoto0287.jpgFoto0300.jpgFoto0297.jpgFoto0304.jpgFoto0305.jpg

Most of the parts used/needed on these ss models can be casted in one piece molds so i really do think it is worth the try.
This is not about people not having any kits or not,...some parts are used multiple times on a model or are just to expensive to get a hold of for just 1 or 2 parts,.. read: sealab,1/16 hummel,entex porsche etc

Last edited:
Loving this little model. I provably missed it somewhere, but i am curious when the scout welder was originally made. I understand that the vader welder was for ROTJ, but I didn't think the Biker Scout kit was available while still in production for ROTJ.

Edit: found it, its a stopmotion head not an MPC kit

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back