Immortan Joe Mask Replica

Thanks! I haven't seen many other people try to achieve the same thing so here's hoping it gets others to do a better job than I did!:D

I'd be interested in any painting tips you guys might have for the mask, particularly the metallics. The film one looks to me like weathered and cloudy chrome, which is a horrifying thing to try and recreate.

Not really. I'm more in the mindset that the film's was painted chrome for shooting and then the finish dulled over production on set because images of the thing now, it's completely flat. There's plenty of times in the film where the sheen on that thing varies from shot to shot.

How I did it was take chrome spray paint, spayed the thing down, and then gave it a shot of clear coat to "gray" it down a bit.

Logan completed my mask over the weekend and sent me some shots, holy crap does this thing look amazing! I can't wait for this beautiful mask to arrive! Thanks again Logan!

joe1.jpgjoe2.jpg

Hey all - just wanted to get some thoughts on how you're painting this baby. Are you masking off everything but the metal bits and spraying silver first, then hand-painting everything else? Or a bone-colored base over everything before the silver goes on?

I hand paint bone color first, then the brown washes, then mask all but the metal bits and spray gloss black, then chrome - preferably with a day between each step. I'm using acrylics for the 'organic' stuff.

Same on my end, I did the metal bits last. The bone bits were the toughest for me to do because nailing the color was a chore. It's not a completely flat brown (its got shades of green, too) and to get highlights on the raised areas without taking so much of the areas around it off required some experimenting on my end.

For the most part, jaw and cheeks were done with several layers of various shades of brown dry-brushed on top of each other (all on top of a black base coat and an "antique white" color to simulate bone) and then lightly buffed with a towel. Then, on top of that, went on several washes to get into the recessed areas. Those areas were then masked off to do the metal bits and that was fairly straight forward: mask off, spray with chrome colored paints, darken with inks, and dirty with washes. Seal the whole thing off with some crystal clear.

The wig/strap interface was a real challenge for me at DragonCon. I am thinking of carefully working the strap into the wig while it is on a wig block and then stitching the strap to the cap so that it becomes a semi permanent part of the wig. That way, I just put the wig/strap assembly on, like any wig, and then just fasten the mask onto the strap via the stud on each side.

The idea of pulling the hair through and around the strap while wearing it every time I put it on is just too hard on the wig and my patience.

How is everyone else dealing with this vexation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's tricky, that's about exactly what I did at D-con, they combed it into his hair in the film and so I wove it into the wig essentially. It was a 2 hour process the night before on an ottoman in the hotel room with my girlfriend doing all the work really haha, and me just wearing and holding the wig. We secured the strap with bobby pins, but sewing wouldve been better. I desperately needed some silicone spray or something to keep the wig from tangling when I glanced at it.

Initially I was dissapointed that I couldn't find truss screws big enough to hold the strap loops by themselves, but now, at least for me, it's really handy to be able to clip the mask up and on independent of the strap with the wig situation. The tension of the elastic pulls back sufficiently to not worry about the mask coming loose. YMMV.

Thanks for the tips, folks! I've followed the advice in this thread and I think my mask has turned out just peachy (if maybe a bit darker/browner than other folks' interpretations).
2015-10-11 00.45.36.jpg

Next question: is there a trick to fitting the copper tubing between the teeth, or do I just need to drill a little hole behind the teeth for it to slide into?

Looks good man! Yeah just drill a hole behind the teeth, start with a smaller bit to really nail the placement and keep it under control. Use the hose connector as well to help judge exactly where it goes. PM me if you want a longer explanation!

Again, this is why I love this site. Thanks for sharing all your techniques! These all look great and I will be using your tips to make my own mask even better.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back