Immortan Joe Mask Replica

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by logan74k, Jun 2, 2015.

1. logan74k

logan74k Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi yall,
    Long time lurker first time poster -

Thought I'd share my work on a replica of Immortan Joe's respirator mask. Sculpted in Zbrush, printed, cleaned up, mold, cast in urethane, painted. I spent a lot of time trying to get the details and proportions correct to the actual prop, as much as was possible using trailer screengrabs. Hope you enjoy!

20150426_234859_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    WIP Zbrush and reference

kit test1.jpg
    As printed for cost savings - also, openable jaw!

brightchrome.jpg
    Paint in progress - a little.. too shiny and chrome

20150529_024307.jpg
    Final paint detail

aeon1_2.jpg
    Full paint

aeon4_2.jpg
    Painted & assembled

Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  2. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Finally, someone makes one of these with the opening mouth! I appreciate this much more for that! Just wish I coulda seen more the work!

logan74k likes this.
  3. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

awesome, great detail! nice chrome, even though you dont mean it to be so shiny!

logan74k likes this.
  4. logan74k

Poopapapapalps, thanks - you're right, I suppose the purpose of this forum is process... I figured there wasn't much to show since it was a digital sculpt and the process was mostly boring finishing work, but I found a few shots that somebody might be interested in.

zbrush.jpg
    Here's the mask sculpt in Zbrush - connectors were later revised (wrong size hoses)

raw.jpg
    The raw prints in SLS. Extremely thin for cost savings, I brushed in 5 coats of quick set epoxy to thicken for molding.

masterbaking.jpg
    'Baking' the master - I also added some epoxy putty to strengthen specific areas to reinforce the hose connectors and mask strap. There are brass inserts in the castings for 8-32 screws to hold the strap.

hardware.jpg
    Adding real hardware - didn't make much sense to sculpt pins and screws and deal with cleaning up the prints. It was a chore to get all the right sizes and profiles for each piece, especially with low res and/or highly compressed source images.

hardware2.jpg
    Master fully assembled, just needs primer and to be broken back down for molds.

Abelugo, the chrome I used was Spaz Stix mirror chrome from a spray can. I got lucky as I've heard what a nightmare it can be to find a good chrome effect, from a can or otherwise. For this particular project I might have gotten away with any silver. Sometimes it looks like sandblasted aluminum, but there are some shots in the film where it almost looks mirror polished. Some continuity fun going on there. I 'tarnished' it with dark silver acrylic scumbling, and the chrome tolerated buffing extraordinarily well. Time will tell how it holds up looks-wise.

the Squeeesh and RacerMachX like this.
  5. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is awesome!

6. Patattack

Patattack Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I gotta say, I've been looking at a lot of people's sculpts of this mask, and yours is the first one I've seen where the teeth look right. In the movie, it looks to me like the teeth are glued on top of a flat surface - whereas most sculpts I've seen look like the teeth are carved down into the jaw. What I mean is, most of them look like a static one-piece sculpt, while this one looks more cobbled-together and "real" to me. Really fantastic!

the Squeeesh and logan74k like this.
  7. logan74k

Much appreciated man - I worked intentionally to try and avoid the 'lines in clay' trap that's easy to fall in with teeth. Making gaps and overlaps as sharp as possible and constantly redefining edges after each paint coat. It helps that I was using just about every still I could grab from the different trailers, which had a surprising amount of coverage. Keeping molds in mind, there's a limit to how deep and sharp things could be, but I'm generally satisfied with the balance. A dark wash can really make things pop.

After the overall form and feel, it's the details that make or break a thing. Take the hose connectors... I think out of all the fan sculpts I've seen, and there are at least 11 online as of this writing, only two made a serious effort on the connectors. There seem to be two extremes of cosplayers; those with a lot of passion and happy to resemble a character, and those who won't be happy unless they could be mistaken for the character.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  8. Patattack

"Lines in clay" - that's a much better way to phrase what I was thinking of! And you're right about the connectors, some of the fan-made ones I've seen don't have connectors at all, just holes for the hoses. In any case, you did a great job, both with the sculpt and the paintjob. If you ever happen to make more from that mold, let me know. ;)

9. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Amazing. Hands down best one ive seen yet. All the ones ive looked at don't have the teeth bulging out like its supposed to. Again top notch!

10. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is absolutely fantastic. You did an amazing job and really nailed the look, this is impressively accurate!

logan74k likes this.
  11. cpperry

cpperry New Member

This is beautiful. This is the first Joe mask that has made me consider buying instead of building. Put me on the list of people you notify if you end up doing a run.

logan74k likes this.
  12. jacksadventures

jacksadventures Active Member

Amazing !

logan74k likes this.
  13. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

Thanks for the info, at a few feet no one will know the better. Another thread came up about the voice on Joe,it also brought up the question if anyone is completing the bellow-breathing thing on the back of his head?

I may try this chrome for other little projects.

14. logan74k

I haven't got plans myself for it, but I guess it's a good thing to have done to complete a bust. Would be a lot easier as a solid piece, IE doesn't actually bellow. Could probably sew it from fabric and coat it with some kind of gel, or sculpt it and cast it in silicone or flex urethane... looks like some kind of animal hide or organ in the film.

15. the Squeeesh

the Squeeesh New Member

Agreed. :thumbsup This one is the most accurate I've seen. I think this is the only one I've seen that has the ability to open the mouth too, even though that was only one scene in the movie, it was pretty cool.

I'm impressed it looks like you found the right color hoses from the movie. The other masks I've seen usually have black hoses. Did you paint yours? Can you breath through the hoses?

Finally, a costume for fat guys like me can get on board with! ;) I saw another thread where someone was trying to gather all the greeblies on his vest. You guys should all get together to make the ultimate Joe cosplay!

16. logan74k

I don't know what kind of paint would hold up on rubber hoses, maybe somebody who does can chime in. I initially did plan on the black hoses and convinced myself that they were somehow recolored for the movie, even getting as far as to print out connectors sized for them. Slowly I came out of my delusion to the accept that the standard black gas mask hose was too long and definitely not the ones they used in the film. With some searching I lucked into some childrens gas mask hose at a local military surplus store. The difference is stark:

20150430_130045.jpg

The nice thing about them (besides being accurate) is they are thinner rubber and floppier and impose less stress on the mask. Which is good, since the mask is only hanging by two points by your ears. Can I breathe through them? No, not unless I drilled out my resin adapters, but the openings between the teeth are plenty to breathe through. Wouldn't really want to anyway, they smell strongly of old rubber.

It's cool to see people here working together to source all the random stuff an outfit or prop is made out of. One of the coolest aspects of the RPF in my opinion. I'd love to see somebody put together a screen-accurate complete Joe costume, whether using my sculpt or not. I'm guessing we'll see a bunch more maybe at Comic con and definitely closer to halloween. If anybody finishes the bellows and is making copies, I hope they let me know so I can complete my bust display!

17. Abelugo

Abelugo Sr Member

some bellows ref joe 4.jpg joe1.jpg joe 2.jpg joe 3.jpg joe 5.jpg

18. MaskMaker

MaskMaker Active Member

SO awesome, I bought one at Wonderfest!

19. logan74k

Thanks MaskMaker! Did you get to building it up yet? I also unloaded my main paint up there, unfortunately before I had a chance to get really nice photos. Working on another now so I'm looking forward to that delayed shoot soon.

I do have a couple new (better) pics of the primed mask:

immortan joe mask deviantart.jpg

immortan joe primed rpf.jpg

And why not, the really cool pic of the screen used at a press conference... :thumbsup

new_5-26_rpf.jpg

MAX ROCKATANSKY likes this.
  20. Patattack

I hadn't noticed the copper piping attached to the hose connectors until this picture - did you bend it yourself from a copper rod, or is it recycled from some other device?

Actually, one other question - what was your technique for connecting the separate pieces so seamlessly? How did you manage to maintain the "hammered" texture on the nose piece while doing so? I'm still kind of new to anything other than "sand and paint" in terms of assembling kits...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  21. Daniel Nelms

Daniel Nelms Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic work man, really amazing.

22. logan74k

The copper is 6ga solid wire bent to 90 degrees - it -looks- correct to me, whether or not the film prop uses copper I'm not sure.

I've used a bunch of different things for filler on urethane castings, bondo, epoxy putty, glazing putty are all good fillers given the proper dry time and of course whatever the testors stuff in a tube is. On the dimpled nose bridge, I was carefully using the corner of some sandpaper folded twice, as well as a small curved carving chisel to mimic the detail as I carved down the filler. On dense organic patterns like this you can get away with a lot as long as you 'feather' the pattern you end up with out over more of the surface. Meaning, do your own sanding detail a little bit outside of the seam as well. After you prime you'll probably see it looks very close and just needs a tiny amendment or two. A dremel with a sperical grinding bit would also work, just touching lightly and randomly to recover the pattern in the filled area.

23. Interceptor6

Interceptor6 Sr Member

Very nice, Logan! Best I've seen to date!
    I work well with steel and wood, but rubber & plastic HATE ME! Were those hose connector parts a found item? or scratch built? I searched a while, but found nothing similar.

Cheers, Jeff

logan74k likes this.
  24. MaskMaker

MaskMaker Active Member

I have mine built up and puttied, but not yet painted. Will paint the hose connectors separately. Located some parts for the armor decor and the needed black hoses for the bellows.

logan74k likes this.
  25. logan74k

The hose connectors are from scratch, I tend to think they were sculpted on the movie mask as well, both due to the photos of clay sketches in the Art book, and the fact that they fit the hoses exactly while having a bunch of ornamental features (IE a wrench bolt straight up from the bottom) that seem out of place on any real gas mask.

Also the mask is now available on Etsy, in a few different options.

Maskmaker I hope you'll post some pics of yours when it's done!

26. eriksmask

eriksmask Active Member

Such an amazing piece- just perfect! I received my kit last week. Sat down last night and painted it up.
    1617876_10102031724006208_4270349637101682778_o.jpg

27. logan74k

Nice job! Looks great! What kinds of paint did you use?

MAX ROCKATANSKY likes this.
  28. B Wo

B Wo Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't know how I missed this thread.

Logan74k, that mask is dynamite! I don't have ZBrush, currently, but I dabble in 123D Sculpt on my iPad, and have printed a couple small scale figures. Seeing your skills on the computer and how they've translated to a wearable mask is so exciting! So good.

logan74k and MAX ROCKATANSKY like this.
  29. MAX ROCKATANSKY

MAX ROCKATANSKY New Member

KILLER

logan74k likes this.
  30. Implausibility

Implausibility Jr Member

This is wonderful! Immortan Joe is on my future costume list and if I can make my mask as tenth as good as yours I will be a VERY happy bunny :) I can't do it your way as digital stuff and 3d printing is like Martian to me, and I'm way too old a dog to learn new tricks, but at least this gives me something to aspire to.....

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    logan74k likes this.
  31. B Wo

logan74k I grabbed one of your Immortan Joe mask kits off Etsy, and I just got it Friday. It is so freakin' good! I'll post pics once I have it assembled and painted. Have you had success articulating the mouth? Since the kit comes with the jaw separately, I would like to make it openable, but before I reinvent the wheel, I will gladly take any pointers you may have.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    logan74k likes this.
  32. logan74k

B Wo! Hah, I didn't realize it was you. Glad you're happy with it! I dropped it off in the lobby since I was down there anyway at a landscape supply. Definitely do post some pics here!

I haven't thought it through myself in terms of making a 'track' or the like to move the jaw up and down on - all I've done was build up the thickness of the mask where the pieces mate so that potentially a mechanism could be mechanically anchored with jewelers screws or similar. I'd love to see what you come up with if you do make a mechanism.

There's an overcomplicated drawing in the art book that sort of, kind of shows how they may have tried to build the mech for the film. What's drawn doesnt look like it would work in the space. There's also a trap door, and some kind of pull string involved. Like I said, it's a bit strange. It also doesnt appear that they either tried or succeeded in making it move in real time. It never moves on screen, always cuts to open or closed. Maybe a set screw on a rod? I feel like some small brass rod, tube, epoxy putty and rubber bands will get you there one way or another. Just a thought.

33. B Wo

logan74k Yeah, on Friday, I was at some friends' house, grilling some kabobs and enjoying the beautiful weather, when I got an Etsy email w/ a note from you saying the mask was in my lobby, and I thought "Oh, what a day....what a lovely day!" Haha.

I think you're on the right track w/ the brass rod, tube, rubber band idea. Thank you.

I have a very talented machinist friend who can help me make it undoubtedly over-complicated, as well.

For now, here's a pick I grabbed off a video online. It doesn't look like the jaw is simply pivoting. Once I have the top of the mask assembled, I can fidget.

ImmortanJoeOpenMouth.JPG

logan74k likes this.
  34. PoopaPapaPalps

Long overdue photos of this amazing thing:

001.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

35. logan74k

Hey awesome pics PPP, did you run the copper line through the mask and all along inside? Looks cool. How's it work? Are you doing a costume or is this a display piece?

36. Ein

Ein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It actually looks like that's how it's designed from the little bits you can see in the film. Looks like it goes through the mouth, into the jaw, then curves up behind the top row of teeth.

[​IMG]

Edit: I realize you did the same thing on your own mask, I just figured I'd clarify with the picture I had too.

37. PoopaPapaPalps

@logan74k - Yep, I used the photo Ein just posted and followed this thing as closely as I could and worked the look of it into my "mechanism" to make the jaw move. Though, looking at it now, I should've used thicker gauge copper wire (I bought 5 gauge to mimic the ones that come with the kit but I'm thinking it's more like 7/8 gauge) and shaved the insides of the mouth down if I really wanted to get that exact look, but, the hell with it. Looks good enough for me.

As far as the braces in the mask go, it's some aluminium stock I had around that I cut up and joined together. It's double jointed with somewhat tightened with nuts to keep the mouth piece in place but not stiff enough that it won't move. The front joint actually slides a little bit up and down the long brace so it can move up and down and mimic the film's function. It doesn't technically "slide" the mouth down, so much as it extends it forward enough for it to move. Also, beyond sliding the mouth down, it also helps to hide the rest of the system. It's a pretty simple, ghetto set-up. The rubber bands provides enough resistance to keep the thing in place. The real trick was bending all the metal to get it to lay within the inside of the mask so it doesn't push it so far away from the face. Regardless of its finicky-ness, it works.

So far this is just for display but I'm sure it'll grow from there.:p I just bought and attached some more gas mask hoses to it so I can sling it over my shoulders to keep it from being so front-heavy. This has caused me to think about working on the bellows to complete the look. But in doing that, I'd need to work on the chest armor, as well; seeing how the hoses are strapped to them. But you can't just have his chest armor without the other pieces...

...You see where this goes from here.

I'm trying not to fall into that tar pit but that's proving difficult as I've already got one foot stuck.:lol

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    B Wo and logan74k like this.
  38. jaganar

jaganar Active Member

im drooling here logan ....
    they way it looks from PPP's photo you can overlap it in a resperator so i cant help but practically faint whats the store name on ETSY cus im seeing waaaaay too much to tell which one is yours ( altho i think its DappledLightStudio ) o_O

39. logan74k

Thanks Jaganar - I'm not sure what you mean by overlap it, a person would have trouble fitting an adult size respirator between the mask and their face. Not to say it couldn't be done. Though, PoopaPapaPalps could maybe pack on about 80 lbs to really fill it out. You've got the shop right.

40. PoopaPapaPalps

More like 180 and grow a few more feet. Many have described my physique as "imp-like" or have called me flat-out "a goblin."

logan74k likes this.
  41. B Wo

PoopaPapaPalps You've done an incredibly awesome job articulating that mask. Thank you so much for sharing!

logan74k likes this.
  42. PoopaPapaPalps

Thanks! I haven't seen many other people try to achieve the same thing so here's hoping it gets others to do a better job than I did!:D

43. Ein

Ein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd be interested in any painting tips you guys might have for the mask, particularly the metallics. The film one looks to me like weathered and cloudy chrome, which is a horrifying thing to try and recreate.

44. PoopaPapaPalps

Not really. I'm more in the mindset that the film's was painted chrome for shooting and then the finish dulled over production on set because images of the thing now, it's completely flat. There's plenty of times in the film where the sheen on that thing varies from shot to shot.

How I did it was take chrome spray paint, spayed the thing down, and then gave it a shot of clear coat to "gray" it down a bit.

45. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Logan completed my mask over the weekend and sent me some shots, holy crap does this thing look amazing! I can't wait for this beautiful mask to arrive! Thanks again Logan!

joe1.jpg joe2.jpg

logan74k likes this.
  46. Patattack

Hey all - just wanted to get some thoughts on how you're painting this baby. Are you masking off everything but the metal bits and spraying silver first, then hand-painting everything else? Or a bone-colored base over everything before the silver goes on?

47. logan74k

I hand paint bone color first, then the brown washes, then mask all but the metal bits and spray gloss black, then chrome - preferably with a day between each step. I'm using acrylics for the 'organic' stuff.

48. PoopaPapaPalps

Same on my end, I did the metal bits last. The bone bits were the toughest for me to do because nailing the color was a chore. It's not a completely flat brown (its got shades of green, too) and to get highlights on the raised areas without taking so much of the areas around it off required some experimenting on my end.

For the most part, jaw and cheeks were done with several layers of various shades of brown dry-brushed on top of each other (all on top of a black base coat and an "antique white" color to simulate bone) and then lightly buffed with a towel. Then, on top of that, went on several washes to get into the recessed areas. Those areas were then masked off to do the metal bits and that was fairly straight forward: mask off, spray with chrome colored paints, darken with inks, and dirty with washes. Seal the whole thing off with some crystal clear.

49. mrpottermw

mrpottermw New Member

Is that a custom strap? Or was repurposed from an existing one?

50. logan74k