Immortan Joe costume from Mad Max, Fury Road

Based on my experience (Worbla, not PETG) forming inside the armor would be much easier, unless you have a giant vacuform machine).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439783287.448602.jpg

Yeah the only cool costume things I have are my custom tailor made Joker suit from the dark Knight the whole shebang and this little baby that I made for last Halloween

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439784048.261506.jpg

Sadly he's seen better days

Soo I have decided to make the armor out of PETG i've seen a fellow cosplayer use it with a heat gun to make a successful chest and back piece and I hear too many horror stories about worbla here's a Picture of the success with PETG
View attachment 515689
From-rawrbomb

Wow, thanks for posting this, bigboss. I'm really liking the look of this over a lot of the worbla chest pieces I've seen (although they still look great), I'm glad I held off on ordering my worbla sheets, and I'm happy to hear this PETG stuff can be formed with a heat gun as well!

McMaster Carr has PETG sheets.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#petg/=yiz9n5
Their shipping is next-day.

Thanks a bunch for this link, Ein!

It's formed over that same metal armor on Amazon and the thickness of the PETG is
Do you by chance mean ".040" instead of ".40" thickness? All of the plastic shim stock rolls of PETG I'm seeing aren't nearly that thick.

Also, logan74k finished my mask over the weekend, sent me a few pictures last night, and holy crap does this thing look amazing! Absolutely beautiful work, I cannot wait for this to arrive! Thanks again Logan!!!

joe1.jpgjoe2.jpg

Soo I have decided to make the armor out of PETG i've seen a fellow cosplayer use it with a heat gun to make a successful chest and back piece and I hear too many horror stories about worbla here's a Picture of the success with PETG
View attachment 515689
From-rawrbomb

That's my Armor in the picture.

I ordered a roll of transparent Worlba, and it's still sitting in the shipping container. I'll probably use it for some other project down the road.

The PETG worked great, The .040" forms very easily by hand over the top of the armor. I've tried messing with thinner PETG by forming a 2 liter bottle. I think that any thinner than .040" deforms from hard to a giant mess very quickly.

The PETG is pretty brittle. You can't score and break like you can with styrene. I'm finding that cutting it with some heavy scissors has been the best.

First, make sure you have gloves to cut down the heat a bit. I precut the plastic to roughly the shape (+2-3 inches), then used the heat gun to slowly form the armor from the middle outward. I just pushed the plastic as it heated slowly into the grooves, then when it cooled it holds it's shape really well. It still has some flexibility, and it seems durable enough.

The edges I've done by drilling holes along the entire outside. Then sandwiching Worbla on the edges into the holes for a solid hold. The glue on the worlba actually adheres a bit to the PET-G, so the edges are very firmly secured. After that I layed a strip of fabric on my work bench, put some worbla into the fabric, Turned in the edges, and then wrapped the edges a second time with the fabric secured Worbla. I'll upload some pictures of this process to see if it's useful to other people.

To finish the armor, I lightly sanded it with a sanding sponge to make it opaque. If you sand too much, a low heat setting on the heat gun makes it transparent again. Then I just hand painted it with acrylic to make the muscles more defined.

Also, In some scenes his armor is only backpainted with a light yellow ochre, In other scenes it's much thicker ochre with some darker browns mixed in. So painting it either way is probably "canon"

Edit:

I will add that hand forming with a heat gun is a quick and dirty process, and you can get a single curve very easily. I did every part of the armor except for the shoulder bells just by hand forming. Since those are more domed, they don't hand form easily. You can probably hand form a dome, but it would be very slow and prone to problems.

I was hoping you would come on here and claim your work I hope you didn't mind me using A picture of you work I made sure to put your name on it

Awesome info, Hamsterstyle. This will definitely help me when I tackle my own chestplate in the weeks to come. :thumbsup

At the risk of inviting transparent calf and ankle humor, allow me to present quick and easy vambraces:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439846761.181117.jpg

Good stuff ahoudini - what're you using to cut the material? Do you know exactly what kind of plastic it is?

Well, after seeing Hammerstyle's post I made a go of forming the PETG sheets I have, but I'm not satisfied with it. The stuff I have is 1/16" thick, which is .060" and change, rather than .040". Suspect the extra thickness is why I am struggling here.

Will get some thinner sheets and try again.

Logan, I used a spiral saw bit on a dremel to rough it out and then did the straight cuts with a bandsaw. I added the curves with a bench sander. I am not sure what the clear plastic mannequin parts are made of but it is tough and very forgiving to work with as it has no tendency to shatter or crack.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back