I'm OUT of the 501st!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not even sure why so many join the group. You can still do
activities with them, still make friends with them, still hang with them at
the cons, and all this without being in the group. Hell, you can
even walk with them in the parades under there banner. The @#$%.
in the group are easy to ignor if you are just along for the ride.

<div class='quotetop'>(womo68 @ Aug 4 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]1293889[/snapback]</div>
I'm not the perfect trooper height or weight...do they have requirments for Vaders (height wise) and troopers (short or heavy)?

[/b]

In case people were wondering....

Here is our pic from Star Wars Weekends this past May (A canon formal LFL event)

TS_Sat.jpg

The snowtrooper in the foreground is less than 5 feet tall, and a female from Japan. I am marching right behind her with the BFG, and I am 6'3" 300 lbs. You will not find actors with these dimensions playing any of the snowtroopers in the movie. Yet we were greeted with open arms, because we DO have screen accurate ("canon") costumes.

BTW that Scott Will rules this Garrison with an iron fist :p

(j/k)

<div class='quotetop'>(Lodril @ Aug 4 2006, 11:32 PM) [snapback]1294276[/snapback]</div>
...but in OLG the pressure seems to be exactly the opposite ("You don't want to look like a bobblehead, do you?")...
[/b]

Damn right.

We're proud of being "elitist" because (to use an old saying), "a rising tide lifts all the ships in the harbor." We try very hard to make our costumes as close to screen accurate as possible. This means if you are wearing a pauldron, your armor had better be dirty. It also means that clean TK's can sport white gaffer's tape and split calves.

TD1536 is the Legion's definitive sandtrooper and we used to look like poo standing next to him until we upped our standards. Much research, many armor parties and get-togethers later, we field a force that, although small, I'd put up against any other garrison in the world, pound-for-pound. We actively assist each other in improvements large and small. We go out after every event as a group and bond over das verboten Milchshaken. We are one very, very tight group. Should you join OLG with an AFX bobblehead, you can rest assured that you'll soon want to upgrade. And, we'll help you.

I'm very sorry to hear that the poster of this topic had a bad experience with his Garrison. OLG has been blessedly free of this sort of problem.

Clark Oliver
Public Information Officer
Old Line Garrison
501st Legion

<div class='quotetop'>(IanL @ Aug 5 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]1294500[/snapback]</div>
Here is our pic from Star Wars Weekends this past May (A canon formal LFL event)
[/b]

This event actually wasn't noted as "formal" this year. There were even a custom or two allowed to march and many troopers sported patches or stickers to represent their individual units.

<div class='quotetop'>(Unfated @ Aug 5 2006, 10:56 AM) [snapback]1294448[/snapback]</div>
even walk with them in the parades under there banner.
[/b]

While there are many reasons to become an "official member," the perks have really blossomed as of late. Several companies have offered the Legion "members only" discounts or bulk purchases of Star Wars merchandise, members are invited to certain events not open to other unaffiliated costumers (think Disney's Star Wars Weekends, LFL industry promo events, and the upcoming Parade of Roses just to name a few), traveling all over the world and being instantly "part of the group" simply by mentioning that you're a 501st member, having fans ask for your autograph, hanging with the actors/celebs at events, getting your own action figure from Hasbro...it's all been very humbling actually. We're just a bunch of dedicated fans who dress up in plastic and volunteer their time for the love of Star Wars and a desire to perform charity work. When people join, there's no promise of a free trip to Las Vegas or a role in the upcoming Star Wars TV series...but recent history has demonstrated that you never know. :D

That being said, you don't have to be a member to enjoy most events if you just want to come and hang. :) But it doesn't cost anything, and you get a nifty "TK number" so why not? :)

Not being a member, this thread has been interesting reading for both sides. It seems some of the issue is with "Franchises" as opposed to the 501st as a whole. Local Garrisons running things their way and reaping the benefits of being a Garrison.

From what I see on the custom costume front, I agree with the decision to not allow them. They have closer ties to LFL now, and many people will see a odd Mandalorian costume and wonder what happened to Boba. LFL may be expecting canon from their costumers and that is their right. I think the 501st doesn't want to screw with a good thing, as their tie with LFL seems to be.

Now to pose a question to those who have posted and are high muckety mucks in the 501st. Are there guidelines about a "franchise" endorsement from a national 501st governing body? A "This is how things should be handled" type of thing, perhaps? If there is such a thing, what types of "punishments" are in place for Garrisons who seem to be black sheep, as has been pointed out?

<div class='quotetop'>(tuskentrooper @ Aug 5 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]1294547[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(IanL @ Aug 5 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]1294500[/snapback]
[/b]

This event actually wasn't noted as "formal" this year. There were even a custom or two allowed to march and many troopers sported patches or stickers to represent their individual units.
[/b][/quote]

Not arguing with you Dean, but I was told numerous times leading up to the event to make certain that all parts of the costumes would pass muster. I understand we had "ARC-TK's" and some squad stickers on shoulder bells, but at the same rate, I understand that some people were asked not to march due to their costumes not being up to par. Either way I know I worked my butt off in the weeks leading up to the first Weekend tweaking and making sure all my parts would pass scrutiny.

<div class='quotetop'>(Unfated @ Aug 5 2006, 10:56 AM) [snapback]1294448[/snapback]</div>
even walk with them in the parades under there banner. The @#$%.
in the group are easy to ignor if you are just along for the ride.
[/b]

I joined because I think that the 501st is a good organization in general and I just wanted to be a member.Since there are no other members in my area (besides a good friend of mine) we can avoid all the politics that seem to plague other garrisons or outposts.

<div class='quotetop'>(IanL @ Aug 5 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]1294580[/snapback]</div>
Not arguing with you Dean, but I was told numerous times leading up to the event to make certain that all parts of the costumes would pass muster. I understand we had "ARC-TK's" and some squad stickers on shoulder bells, but at the same rate, I understand that some people were asked not to march due to their costumes not being up to par. Either way I know I worked my butt off in the weeks leading up to the first Weekend tweaking and making sure all my parts would pass scrutiny.
[/b]

I wasn't able to attend this past year, but in my opinion accurate costumes based upon the film are the ones most recognized and appreciated by the public. :)

I've heard good, I've heard bad- I tend to agree with Scott and Dean that most of the complaints floating around out there just don't match up to what most people's personal experiences are.

I think that you get out of it what you put in- if you are looking for opportunities to 'troop', and get your geek on with like-minded folks, then that's what you'll find- any politics or other distasteful stuff is easy to avoid or ignore. If you are looking for an organization where you can climb a social ladder and 'rise in the ranks', then you'll likely get caught up in the politics.

I've had nothing but good experiences as well. A group of local guys willing to organize and suit up for events, together with a closer than ever connection with Lucasfilm. What's funny to me is your feeling to post that you're leaving. If you didn't like being associated with the 501st, why post that you're leaving a group you don't want to be identified with? No one's forcing you to suit up and troop.

I read that thread. I have no idea what was going on there. I do not know any of those people. I'll just continue to troop, and have fun.

That's what it really comes down to. Trooping and having fun. If we're not having fun then why do it? I've been doing this for a VERY long time and have been watching the 501st since the original 12. It took me years to finally join but now I feel I'm part of an alumni. A few members have visited Vegas and some have brought their armor. It's really cool to hang out with friends/strangers you have so much in common with. Neon City Garrison was formed in the late 90's and it's amazing how much of us feel we've known each other for years. It's like seeing long lost friends.

It's not easy making sure thousands of members are ALL happy but when it comes down to it it's really a fun gig. Dressing up as the bad guys, making people happy, AND even getting to meet celebrities from time to time. One thing I think is cool is when the occasional celebritie will see us, get excited and ask if they can take a photo with US. It does tend to boost the ego from time to time but it's REALLY worth it when you see that 7 year old kid shake hands with Vader, a trooper, or a bounty Hunter and tell his parents what he just got to do. Kinda brings me back to when I was that age.

I don't troop as often as I'd like due to the real world but on occasion I enjoy visiting that Galaxy far far away.

<div class='quotetop'>(SaberFreak @ Aug 6 2006, 11:52 AM) [snapback]1294945[/snapback]</div>
I'm not a member, but if this is the state of things I don't wanna be one:

Loyalty and Honor is extinct now
[/b]

I'm not sure, but I believe that's referring to the Singapore Outpost. There was an issue between members and leadership. That's really all I can say about the subject. Just keep in mind that you're not getting the whole story from that post - only the opinion of one person. Don't let one person's opinion form yours for a group made up of nearly 4000 people from all over the world.

Scott

<div class='quotetop'>(jorusfett @ Aug 4 2006, 10:33 PM) [snapback]1294241[/snapback]</div>
Here is the quote pulled from the RS thread on this...

"Only problem with the more "movie accurate" helmest (besides being very tiny) is that the thousands of 501st stormtroopers wear different armor, so it sticks out like a sore thumb when someone has a more accurate one."

This implies that if you don't look like the rest of the bunch, you shouldn't be with them. Sounds almost like the 'popular' group from my school-days.
[/b]

I don't think that implies that at all. All the poster said was the more accurate helmets would stand out from the majority of helmets. That's true. There's nothing at all in that sentence that conveys a different helmet wouldn't be welcome. Nothing in the slightest. As I said before, there are many people with different helmets than th standard. I bought one myself, but before I could put it together I tried on a completed one and I couldn't fit my big noggin inside. So I resold it before I even unwrapped it. On my 6'2" body, the FX helmet doesn't look too large, plus I can fit fans and a voice amp inside, so I'm happy with it. If someone wants to wear a different one, than I encourage it. I've never heard anyone discourage it.

Scott

To me, this is kind of sad. I am part of the Canadian Garrison (SL-1922). I've been a member for almost 3 years, I think (have to check on that).

The reason I wanted to put together a $3,000 Vader suit, was to join a great group of people that had the same interest as me, Star Wars. However, I also joined becuase I knew that with my costume, I could tour a sick kid's hospital, and for a few minutes, put a smile on their faces. THAT is why I joined this incredible group.

Yes, there has been a lot of BS withing the group, but that is to be expected with 4,000 members. Not everyone will get along. But we should try and put those problems aside and realize what we are all about...charity. Altough there are only 5 members here in Ottawa, I try and find charity events for us to attend. and the other guys here absoluty love what we do.

In my opinion, you have to have your heart in this group. I love being a member of the 501st. It makes me happy when I can meet other troops from other garrisons, ie: C3. The way I see it, we are a BIG famliy, and only getting bigger.

But you shouldn't quit just because you didn't see eye to eye with someone. Work out your diferences and come on back. We would be happy to have you.

Hopefully a useful thought. This is my 2nd post.

Have Trooped a little with the 501-st, but not as a member.

Have started/joined a variety of clubs/organizations over the past 40-yrs.

And they seem no different than the sincere opinions posted in this thread.

Based on individuals & groups I have met as a Star Wars fan,

I choose & accept the challenge to participate in a charitable and positive

Way with everyone the best I can.

Thanks for letting me post here:)

Ed

Just a Trooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back