I'm interested in learning sculpting

SurferGeek

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm interested in trying my hand at sculpting but I have no idea where to begin and what kind of equipment I will need.

I want to start out with as little expense as possible in tools and materials. So, any advice would be appreciated.

One question right off the top of my head is what types of material can you use that won't dry out quickly as I will only have short timeframes to sculpt, or how do you prevent the clay from drying?

I use a product called Wesclay - kinda a better version of sculpy - but I normally do small things. It really depends if you're trying to do small or large sculpts as to what product you'd use.

Originally posted by rigormortis@Mar 15 2006, 02:13 PM
I use a product called Wesclay - kinda a better version of sculpy - but I normally do small things.  It really depends if you're trying to do small or large sculpts as to what product you'd use.
[snapback]1206477[/snapback]​

I think starting small would be a good idea. Do you have a link to this Wesclay? I did a quick search but couldn't find anything specific. Thanks.

What the Professionals use for prosthetics and sometimes masks is called Roma Plastilina, it's a Oil-based clay that doesn't dry out, but it doesn't set-up against GI-1000 Silicone because it has Sulphur in it.

It is carried at many art stores and looks like this:

[attachmentid=12004]

Other artists prefer to use clay without Sulphur in it called Chavant which Rob Bottin's FX Crew sculpted Robocop out of because it can be smoothed-out and polished, they even use it for sculpting Car designs out of:

[attachmentid=12005]

Here is their website:
http://www.chavant.com/

For my own projects I use WED Clay which is a water-based clay that Laguna Clay sells, it's great stuff, inexpensive, and if you cover your sculpt with wet paper towels and a plastic bag you can keep working on your sculpture for a long time :)

If you have any other questions, drop me a PM.

Thanks for the links... I noticed that Chavant has several of Howard's sculpts in their gallery section.

PM sent by the way.

To start off, I would either try Prosculpt or WED-clay (Walt E Disney).

WED is water based and easy to use and air dries. Prosculpt is fairly new on the market. Sculptor Jack Johnson developed Prosculpt to make life-like figurines.

WED is CHEAP so you don't have to be so careful. When I attended the Imagine-Nation Expo in Vegas in '03, some of the top SFX artist and mask makers gave demonstrations using WED clay.

Originally posted by DarkHelmet@Mar 15 2006, 07:10 PM
To start off, I would either try Prosculpt or WED-clay (Walt E Disney).

WED is water based and easy to use and air dries. Prosculpt is fairly new on the market. Sculptor Jack Johnson developed Prosculpt to make life-like figurines. 

WED is CHEAP so you don't have to be so careful. When I attended the Imagine-Nation Expo in Vegas in '03, some of the top SFX artist and mask makers gave demonstrations using WED clay.
[snapback]1206683[/snapback]​

"Cheap" is a word I like for something I'm not sure I'll be any good at. ;) I'll see if any of the local art shops have it tomorrow. Thanks.

You probably won't find it locally at Michaels or other craft stores. Kind of a special order product, even though it's fairly common.

The Compleat Sculptor carries several types of water based clays, including WED.

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/clay/waterbased2.htm

Monster sculpter Mark Alfrey makes a great video on how to use WED clay. Do a search on the net to find a copy.

As I stated earlier, Laguna Clay sells WED Clay and for a great price.

Another great tutorial is on Movie FX DVD Magazine Master Class Volume 1
http://www.moviefxmag.com/master_class_1.html

Jordu Schell has 3 Tutorials on this One DVD:

Sculpting a Maquette
jardu2.jpg

Sculpting a 1:1 scale monster bust
sculpting_left.jpg

Sculpt, mold, cast and airbrush a half mask
jordu_right.jpg

Originally posted by DarkHelmet@Mar 15 2006, 07:53 PM
You probably won't find it locally at Michaels or other craft stores. Kind of a special order product, even though it's fairly common.

The Compleat Sculptor carries several types of water based clays, including WED.

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/clay/waterbased2.htm

Monster sculpter Mark Alfrey makes a great video on how to use WED clay. Do a search on the net to find a copy.
[snapback]1206757[/snapback]​

My advice is that if you have not done it just jump into and make something. Give yourself a 20 min time limit and just let fly, don't worry about it being perfect just have fun with it.

Tools- lots of cheap tools at Wal-mart but anything can be a tool for sculpting ( spoon, bit of plastic, etc ) so don't waste your money on costly stuff early on.

Klean Klay is pretty cheap also can be used for sculpting but I use it in mold making myself.

this is a great thread very insiteful i've been looking a good clay to use wed looks like the way to go, now would this always any good for sculpting lets say a vader helmet and a few other star wars and non star wars helmets and armors?

Jordu Schell was one of the participants at the Imagine-Nation Expo who had a great sculpting session using WED.

I wouldn't go the Chavant route. I bought 3 bars several years ago and have never even used them. They are like bricks. I have no idea how to even start making them usable.

I had started another thread about similar things, can this WED clay be used to make a small sculpt then used tomake a mould for resin casting? I'm wanting to do some parts for my kenner

Send the Chavant Bricks to me, I'll find a use for them. Seriously.

My email address is propsculptor at yahoo.com just change the at to @

Originally posted by steveo@Mar 16 2006, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't go the Chavant route.  I bought 3 bars several years ago and have never even used them.  They are like bricks.  I have no idea how to even start making them usable.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back