First attempt at sculpting with monster clay? Any advice?

Egon Spengler

Master Member
Up until now I've always used waterbased clay to sculpt my masks. It's pretty easy to use and really affordable, but it's hard to get it as smooth as I would like. I'd like to attempt to sculpt a full head mask using Monsterclay. I know there are different types, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a first time user of the clay, and maybe what type is best for someone working with it for the first time. A full head mask will need a lot of clay, so I'm also looking for the best place to buy it for an good price.

If you can give me any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I started out with WED clay but transitioned to medium Monster Clay and never looked back.

I started off using Medium because most pros, specifically Rick Baker use medium.

I put it in the microwave to soften it up to build up mass. It stays pliable while you work it and then hardens up enough to add the detail.

I used orderless turpenoid to smooth it. I can get glass like finish if I wanted.

I normally get my clay locally, but when they're out of stock I order from Monster Makers. A 5 lb tub cost about $30+

Like anything, just buy a tub and experiment. I'm pretty confident you'll end up liking it over WED.

Since you are switching clays, I would suggest testing out a few options. To me the real expense is the time and effort involved, not the supplies. The nice thing about these is you can take as long as you need to finish a sculpture and then use the clay again on a new project.

I really like Monster Clay! I usually medium which works pretty well and holds detail great. I occasionally have used some soft, but find I usually damage the sculpture too easily. I also have mixed soft and medium on different parts of the same sculpture. My only ding on Monster Clay is if you are going to be making the mold with EpoxAcoat, I have had to work really hard to clean it out of the mold.

I have also used Chavant NSP. It also works really well, although I prefer Monster Clay personally.

Recently, I have also used Alien Clay (from Chavant/Smooth-On) which I like really well.

Depending on the project, I switch between these. Oh, this stuff is HEAVY, so if it is a large sculpture, I would suggest creating a large core or armature to fill the inside.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back