If they reboot INDIANA JONES, who would you pick to play Indy?

Indy was a step closer to the real world than O'Connell.

Put Indy in O'Connell's world, and Indy starts looking like a bookworm who gets out of breath & wounded too easily.

Put O'Connell in Indy's world, and O'Connell becomes an Indy wannabe who is trying too hard & lacking in brains/education.

IMO these two heroes are better left in their own separate worlds.

To be fair, their worlds are pretty much look a like. They both have dark forces. I think they would complement each other pretty well.
But yeah maybe it would be over the top XD A quick apparition of o Connell would be fun though as they are from the same time period.

Daniel Craig & Roger Moore are both James Bonds. But it wouldn't work very well to swap those two actors into each other's worlds. The subtle differences in tone still make a major impact on how the whole thing plays.

Since JJ Abrams has pretty much sunk his teeth into most of the franchises I love, why not let him have this as well?

Imagine it now... Indy's reveal will be him stepping into the camera focus through an intense lens flare!

Since JJ Abrams has pretty much sunk his teeth into most of the franchises I love, why not let him have this as well?

Imagine it now... Indy's reveal will be him stepping into the camera focus through an intense lens flare!

With a bad robot Sidekick :lol

I'd watch a JJ Indy film :)

^ Yeah I'd like to see Ford get one more shot at it.. just so his last contribution isnt KoTC. I think if Steven gets a shot at redemption Ford should get one also!

could have both old and young indy.... just like the tv show, oh and Last Crusade ;)
I really wouldn't mind having a 90+ year old Harrison telling the gran' kids about grandpa's wild youth :p

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think maybe it'd be for everyone's good if we just...retired Indy.

Maybe it's time that society started accepting an end to franchises and an embracing of new stories. I mean, really, it's like people can't let go of these characters and shows and stuff. Maybe when a story is told, that's it. It ends, and there is no "and then what happened."

Maybe it's time that society started accepting an end to franchises and an embracing of new stories. I mean, really, it's like people can't let go of these characters and shows and stuff. Maybe when a story is told, that's it. It ends, and there is no "and then what happened."

I don't think it's the public that has such a hard time letting go. It's the money that keeps these things going.

Who do you know that really expects this new reboot of Terminator to be good? It's basically the 3rd attempt at bringing back the franchise in the last 12 years. Everyone I know is expecting weakness. But the industry makes mostly weak stuff all the time, well-loved franchise or not.

I think people just feel like an original new show does not make the odds of quality any better.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think maybe it'd be for everyone's good if we just...retired Indy.

I agree. I don't want to see Chris Pratt as Indy.
I like Pratt, but he's so buff now after GotG, he just doesn't have that "everyman" feel that makes Indy work as a character.
Indy ain't Superman.

If Hollywood wants to reboot an old character with franchise potential, how about "Bring 'Em Back Alive!" FRANK BUCK.
Indiana Jones with cajones of steel.

*Edit: I'd also love to see "Tales of the Gold Monkey" rebooted for a new generation. That show was so cool when I was a kid.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the public that has such a hard time letting go. It's the money that keeps these things going.

Who do you know that really expects this new reboot of Terminator to be good? It's basically the 3rd attempt at bringing back the franchise in the last 12 years. Everyone I know is expecting weakness. But the industry makes mostly weak stuff all the time, well-loved franchise or not.

I think people just feel like an original new show does not make the odds of quality any better.

Yeah, but think about it this way.

Take KOTCS and rename it from "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" to "Alan Quartermain and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Swap out Ford and Karen Allen for other similarly age-appropriate actors who can play Alan Quartermain and his former lover. Then leave EVERYTHING ELSE exactly the same. Same F/X budget, same story, Cate Blanchett still in it, etc. Everything else is the same.

Box. Office. Bomb.

The only thing that keeps that film afloat is the brand, which consists of the name/logo itself and Harrison Ford playing the part. The film in and of itself is mediocre at best. People would decry it as some crappy Indiana Jones knockoff, most likely, and it wouldn't make its budget back.

Slap in the IP, though, and people stream to the theaters to see it, EVEN KNOWING that it's a turd of a film, just because they HOPE that maybe all the awful things they've heard about it are wrong. Some will enjoy it merely because it's Ford on screen in the hat punching people, even if they'd still ignore or dislike the film if Ford wasn't in it. Same film, but with the brand it makes bank, and without the brand it dies a pathetic death at the box office.

So, why do the brands work? The brands work for three reasons. First, the familiarity threshold lets you get funding for the production (I'm guessing) because the studio execs are familiar with the source material even if the audience may not be (e.g., Robocop -- most kids under 20 haven't seen the original, I'd bet, but the execs greenlighting the picture have). Second, the familiarity threshold also gets people to go in and see the film. Third, brands work because people want to recapture the feel they had when watching the originals and they aren't willing to let go of that character or world or whathaveyou just yet.

Look at how people here behave around franchise films and remakes. Even knowing the film will be craptastic, plenty still go see the film in the theaters.

Why? Simple: they aren't willing to let go. They hope against hope that maybe the film will surprise them and turn out to be something really amazing. It almost never is, though. It's usually anywhere from craptastic to mediocre, and rarely does it rise above that.

People need to learn to let go. Life moves on. When your childhood heroes ride off into the sunset...let them. Don't keep adding to the stories or "rebooting" them or whathaveyou. Explore new stories. Experience new things. Trust me, plenty of them will feel REALLY familiar, if we allow Hollywood to progress. If the audiences didn't keep sending the message of "Keep up the good work," by going to see remake after remake after licensed property after licensed property, Hollywood would stop making them. These aren't labors of love in most cases. They're bankrolled because the assumption is the audience is there, and that assumption is proven correct often enough to justify shelling out the cash to make Robocop: the Remake.

I get a lot of what you're saying.

But I'm still going to see Star Wars #7 when it comes out.

Maybe the lesson here is that we need to stop giving remakes any benefit-of-the-doubt when the word comes that they suck.

On the other hand I actually liked KOTCS. Not the best Indy movie but it was more fun than TOD. I actually liked getting to revisit Indy in older age too. Him getting back with Marion after all those years put a much better taste in my mouth for the entire underage thing alluded to in Raiders. It helped my feelings for the whole character, even retroactively back to when I watch the existing 1980s movies again.

KOTCS wasn't a remake though, it was a continuation. That's another thing. The fact that it had the same stars & continuity is what made the things I liked about it possible. A weak continuation of Indy would have been less likely to get my money.

I get a lot of what you're saying.

But I'm still going to see Star Wars #7 when it comes out.

As will I, but that's more because I think they can actually continue the story in an entertaining fashion. With Indy...yeah, not so much.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Maybe it could be good. But as a general matter in Hollywood, it just strikes me that audiences need to let some stuff go and learn to appreciate the old stuff AND the new stuff. Like, let the old stuff stay old and quit trying to update or remake it. Make new stuff instead.

Maybe the lesson here is that we need to stop giving remakes any benefit-of-the-doubt when the word comes that they suck.

I heartily agree. Instead of buying tickets based on hope, buy them based on conviction. And seriously critically evaluate a film. Does it look like a good story in and of itself, or are you just reacting to the branding? If the film was stripped of its existing IP, would it look good, or would you say "Whatever. Looks like a crappy rip-off of [franchise]." If it's the latter, maybe skip that one. Demand that films stand on their own, rather than rest on their branding.

On the other hand I actually liked KOTCS. Not the best Indy movie but it was more fun than TOD. I actually liked getting to revisit Indy in older age too. Him getting back with Marion after all those years put a much better taste in my mouth for the entire underage thing alluded to in Raiders. It helped my feelings for the whole character, even retroactively back to when I watch the existing 1980s movies again.

KOTCS wasn't a remake though, it was a continuation. That's another thing. The fact that it had the same stars & continuity is what made the things I liked about it possible. A weak continuation of Indy would have been less likely to get my money.

Well, here's a question for you, and I don't mean it in a snarky way. Do you think that, if the same story was told with different characters and different actors, you'd have liked it? Or were you reacting more to "Harrison Ford is back, and it's an Indy film"? I think a lot of times, people give a pass to otherwise mediocre films, just because they're part of XYZ franchise or have ABC intellectual property shoved into them. I firmly believe that if Transformers had been called Battlebots and didn't have Peter Cullen voicing Optimus Prime, those films would've tanked at the box office. It's that kind of stuff I'm talking about, really. Especially when it comes to the hard core fans who just...keep seeing stuff because it has the brand.

I mean, yeah, I'll go see Star Wars 7. But you know what? At this point, if it sucks, I don't know that I'll be back for any of the other films. I'll just decide that the franchise has moved on without me, and enjoy the stuff I enjoyed. At least until I see the franchise get back to form. And that goes for any franchise. I didn't see an X-men film in the theaters after X-Men 3. It took First Class to make me want to go see Days of Future Past. Why? Simple. The franchise just...wasn't very good.

I dunno, I find that in the last, oh, 10 years or so, I've become a far, far pickier consumer of films. I'll watch random crap on Netflix because it's all by subscription, but I will only pay to go see stuff in the theater if I think it genuinely looks good. If it looks awful, I don't care if it's from my favorite franchise. I'm skipping it anyway because the film looks awful. Likewise with film adaptations of IP that I love. There's no way I'd pay to see a G.I. Joe film, even though I grew up LOVING G.I. Joe, from the comics to the cartoon to the action figures. But the films? Mostly garbage, especially the first one. The second one was...marginally better, but that's practically damning with faint praise.

I want more from movies. And the thing is, I'm GETTING more on TV. These days, the TV experience is actually way more enjoyable for me than the film experience.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back