I AM A GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT!! - Dual 1/350 Refit build- Aztec painting videos!!

Re: I AM A GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT!! - Dual 1/350 Refit build

Hey Orbital, Queenlala's Husband Bradicus here...just checking in on your build and since Im new here, a dumb question, how do I subscribe to your thread here and can I change my username, didnt see that spellcheck altered it when I hit submit Lol...Its just supposed to be bradicus dagnabbit!

just watched that vid, way to go drydock, they really plugged you good. congrats on the sales and recognition you deserve it!

Hey Orbital, Queenlala's Husband Bradicus here...just checking in on your build and since Im new here, a dumb question, how do I subscribe to your thread here and can I change my username, didnt see that spellcheck altered it when I hit submit Lol...Its just supposed to be bradicus dagnabbit!

above the tread you will see a tab titled tread tools, click it and choose the subscribe to this thread, it will take you to another screen, make sure to finalize your subscription with another click. woolaa... yeaa i help!!

above the tread you will see a tab titled tread tools, click it and choose the subscribe to this thread, it will take you to another screen, make sure to finalize your subscription with another click. woolaa... yeaa i help!!

Thanks MW, Not sure on the name change, might have to msg the admins.

just watched that vid, way to go drydock, they really plugged you good. congrats on the sales and recognition you deserve it!

Thanks for sure, a guy couldn't ask for better.

Thanks MW, Not sure on the name change, might have to msg the admins.

Thanks for sure, a guy couldn't ask for better.

thanks guys...I'm subscribed...want to follow this and pick up any tricks :)

Do you build your own lighting electronics or buy the sets out there? I want to include most of the transitional effects I've seen here and on other boards and YouTube, but I'm interested in learning the ins and outs of doing it myself. I'm really good at scavenging working mechanisms for my lighting out of cheap led toys, flashlights etc., for instance I just pulled the blinker circuit out of a camping flashlight for nav lights on a Tydirium shuttle I'm working on, but I want to learn to do it myself.

And yep...Boyd at Trekworks is the reason I just bought your Aztec set :)

thanks guys...I'm subscribed...want to follow this and pick up any tricks :)

Do you build your own lighting electronics or buy the sets out there? I want to include most of the transitional effects I've seen here and on other boards and YouTube, but I'm interested in learning the ins and outs of doing it myself. I'm really good at scavenging working mechanisms for my lighting out of cheap led toys, flashlights etc., for instance I just pulled the blinker circuit out of a camping flashlight for nav lights on a Tydirium shuttle I'm working on, but I want to learn to do it myself.

And yep...Boyd at Trekworks is the reason I just bought your Aztec set :)

I do all the electronics myself, sometimes I'll use pre-built boards for audio effects. I'm getting a little more secretive about some of my circuit designs, as I'll be releasing some effects & lighting products soon.
Nice on the nav light find! Check out the "Engineer's Mini Notebook" series. They are a good beginner resource. All of the same info is on the web for free. I'm a bit old fashioned & like books.
There will definitely be some tricks shown here, but check around the forum as well. This place is loaded with great builders!

Right on, I need to buy that guy lunch or something, TANSTAAFL!

$95.00 for some simple metal work!!!! wow!!! if you guys want i can figure out this on my own, would only cost the price of supplies and shipping. just throwing that out there

edited in, if some one did the leg work on the measurements that is. :)

LOL, I requested a heavy thorazine regimen for the first 2 week, & have a padded room reserved for the end of the month!

Naw, I have this compulsion to save small containers for parts storage.
Updates tonight, trekworks was kind enough to put up a youtube review of my aztec mask set, & I got swamped with orders!
Polar Lights 1/350 Scale Enterprise Refit Buildup Update - Detail Painting And Aztec Masks - YouTube

Trekworks is awesome. Do you make masks only or do you do decals, too?

Is the cargo bay to skinny? to the actual screen version.plus are the structural PE side braceing missing the roof section that joins them together.I watched a youtube video on the cargo bay and that was what he was mentioning.How can you tell Polar Lights version to Round 2's release
Cheers Mick

I also have had this one for a few years on the shelf. It's an earlier release I think since it's molded in blue?

Need more space!

Trekworks is awesome. Do you make masks only or do you do decals, too?

just masks right now, but who knows.

Is the cargo bay to skinny? to the actual screen version.plus are the structural PE side braceing missing the roof section that joins them together.I watched a youtube video on the cargo bay and that was what he was mentioning.How can you tell Polar Lights version to Round 2's release
Cheers Mick

It is wider in the movie. You are correct, there is no PE center roof piece.
I have both releases, & can't tell any difference except one. On the original release the model was mounted to the base with 2 clear support struts & a small clear plate. lower saucer has 2 holes to accommodate the support struts, & the e-hull has a slot for the plate.

Days 5-7

More work done on the shuttle bay, arboretum, & vip lounge. Still a little touch up needed on the bays, & lounges, then they'll get decals. I'm waiting to do the landing strip & floor decals until I'm ready to install the bays. Next is the landscape arrangements in the lounge & arboretum sections. I've already started on the trees & will be laying grass soon.

Also have started on the saucer rim sections. First I'll install the rim, then cut out sections around the windows, & nav & thruster lights.

20130407_022415_zps1b973897.jpg

20130407_022419_zps8ae76284.jpg

20130407_022514_zps13ad9069.jpg

20130407_022453_zpsd640a4a0.jpg

20130407_022702_zps71079c9e.jpg

20130407_022920_zps1c1cf132.jpg

20130407_023046_zps217905e2.jpg

20130407_022537_zps43f66d33.jpg

20130407_022543_zps65a8f3c1.jpg

20130407_022626_zpsa32de429.jpg

20130407_022653_zpse71b1ead.jpg

20130406_014402_zps1d20c2f6.jpg

20130406_014338_zpscd91b80c.jpg

Days 8-14

Back again!
A little more progress, got most everything light blocked. Have installed all windows & frosted clear parts for better light diffusion.
Got the neck wiring done, house lights(aka windows) in the upper saucers. One of them fully wired with nav & thruster lights.

Sorry about the short posts & late replies, have had to make appearances at my 9-5 this week & it's put a crimp in my build schedule. Damn that job, always gettin' in the way of my life!

Thanks for lookin' & always remember
"you rely on luck, you end up on the drift, no fuel, no prospects, beggin' for alliance make work"

20130414_005655_zpscb30e7e6.jpg

20130414_005608_zpsb29ba6cd.jpg

20130414_005346_zps11ff7794.jpg

20130414_005400_zps07dd591f.jpg

20130414_004803_zps816172a5.jpg

20130414_004731_zpsda22a44a.jpg

20130414_004546_zpsd4934614.jpg

20130414_004558_zps8bec5302.jpg

20130414_004615_zps85b17d21.jpg

So, are you running all your saucer window tapes in series and your nav and thrusters in parallel?

So, are you running all your saucer window tapes in series and your nav and thrusters in parallel?

Yes & no, both, the strip has banks of 3 leds that run in series. Those banks & the cut strips are connected parallel. All of the thruster & nav lighting is parallel.
I try to run as much in parallel as possible, while trying to keep the amperage draw down. It is more time & resource consuming, but if an led goes out, you only loose 1 instead of 3.
My goal is to stay under 4 amps total system draw. You can go higher, but more amperage = more heat & heavier gauge wire(more weight & space taken). 4 amps my seem like a lot, but if its distributed between several sub systems, you can keep your wire gauge of all the positive leads between 22-26ga. Depending on the draw of each subsystem. However the ground should be rated at the total system draw of 4 amp, between 18-22ga. Always look at a wire gauge ampacity chart & never exceed the max "enclosed" amps (enclosed meaning mounted inside an object, like a model) rating for the wire. Even if it gets close to the rated amps, go to the next size bigger wire(which will be a smaller number)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back