How Star Wars exists for me now...

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

CT1138

Sr Member
32-inch?! o_O

View attachment 1304974

Until I went into the military and bought myself a big, ol' 19-incher (that I bought with my first line of credit and was still paying for 3 years later >.<), ROTJ was the only one I saw in theaters, so I hadn't seen Star Wars and ESB on anything larger than a 12-inch.
That Sony 32-inch lasted from 1989 and is still ticking to this day. It definitely was worth the cost.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

DarkHelmet

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was 13 when Star Wars came out and like everyone else that remembers seeing it in the theaters, it changed my life.

That being said, I miss the three years between SW and ESB.

I miss believing what Luke believed... Darth Vader was a separate character that did kill his father exactly like "Ben" told him.

Luke's father was a hero and one of the best star pilots in the galaxy.

Princess Leia was not Luke's sister.

The Lucasfilm machine was just a two-cycle engine then so the backstories were shrouded in mystery. The only information we got were from various Scifi magazines like Starlog. We treated these magazine articles like sacred writings. Lucas disseminated just enough information about the SW universe to keep us wanting more but he really didn't have much to offer. He was still adjusting to the surprise hit he had on his hands.

There was an innocence with the SW universe then. It was a pure yet simple, Saturday afternoon movie serial just like Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers.

For me it's

SW
ESB
ROGUE ONE
ROTJ
FORCE AWAKENS

I enjoyed TFA for some reason. I guess it was a retelling of SW. A lot of OT references for nostalgia helped. Yes, it was cheap eye candy, but what the heck.

LAST JEDI and RISE OF SKYWALKER were better than the prequels and I'll watch them if they ever play on TV, but I don't own them.

The prequels do not exist to me. The last time I saw them were in the theaters.

Usagi Pilgrim

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I look at the entire franchise like I would actual history... If it's an official story, & Canon, then it happened. However, just as in actual history, the way the story was told has a complete & total bearing on how it's received.

I enjoy the prequels & sequels, because I like Star Wars as a whole, but I am WELL aware that they were not good movies. I watched Clone Wars, but there are several arcs in that series that were like pulling teeth to get through. Not that they were bad, but I just didn't care about hearing that particular story. I watched about half of Resistance before deciding that I just didn't care.

I guess my point is, thinking back to the scene from Reign of Fire, if I were to sit down & tell my grandkids just the Skywalker story as it was presented, from '77-2019, there are aspects that I believe that I could tell better & in a more interesting way, all without changing the story. I don't say that in an arrogant way, but for me, Star Wars hasn't been a bad story all together, there's just been parts that were told badly, therefore badly received.

DARTH ANIBAL

Sr Member
LAST JEDI and RISE OF SKYWALKER were better than the prequels and I'll watch them if they ever play on TV, but I don't own them.

The prequels do not exist to me. The last time I saw them were in the theaters.

I enjoy, own, and will definitely re-watch the ST, as a bonus extension of the OT. Not a necessary addition to the story, but fun enough to get my attention and keep me engaged. The story told in the prequels exists as a bullet point style "head canon" for me with Episode II being the worst offender. Just this past weekend, I actually threw in ROTS for some random reason. It's not terrible. I always felt it was the best of that bunch, but in light of those last 4 episodes of The Clone Wars (I never got into the series, but watched this last season) I enjoyed it a bit more.