Horizon ED-209 Model (FINISHED! NEW PICS)

Keith

Sr Member
Here are some parts of my horizon ED-209 that i've been working on.
I molded and cast the pelvis section in Polyurethane Resin. I wanted this part to be light weight, but very strong.

I also cast the leg rails in resin. I removed one of the vinyl leg rails, plated up the inside with plastic card, but rather than do all that work another three times, i molded it and cast new ones. One set of rails are just restin on the leg section for these pics.
1_10.jpg

3_3.jpg

The whole model will fit together with PVC tubing as you can see fitted into the arms in the pics.
The legs are filled with Polyurethane Resin wich has been rotocast inside them, so there is no shrinkage to the resin.

DCP_1377.jpg

Thanks wackychimp for hosting,

Keith.

hi keith, i had one of these kits years ago and there is a weak point that must be addressed
ed7copy.jpg

everything was fine on mine but it started to warp and sag at the arrowed part with time, mine was all put together and too late to fix :(

i thought you might want to know

cheers

z

Hi Chris,

I have filled the whole leg section on mine with polyurethane resin. I filled them a bit at a time spinning the resin around inside the legs, so there was no shrinkage. I'll post some pics of it soon.

Keith.

Here are some more pics.

This is how the legs join to the pelvis. The PVC tube passes through the pelvis and fits into the grey socket in the leg. The whole leg is now solid resin inside, so the grey socket will never move.
As you can see, there are two locking bolts which fit into the leg and into the pelvis which make it impossible for the legs to move forward or back:
2a.jpg

Here is the pelvis section with the PVC tube passing through it. The tube is also filled with resin, so its no solid. I ended up using the original pelvis as you can see:
3_4.jpg

The toes are solid resin and i have fitted them with metal rods which fit into the feet. I can now paint these separate and it will be easier to fit the wires which go between the toes after the model has been painted:
4a.jpg

I cut off the original brakes after i made a mold of them so i could cast them in resin. These new resin brakes can be fitted in any position now:
5_3.jpg

I wanted to fit the new resin leg rails after the model has been painted, but i didn't just want to glue them onto the leg, so i have done quite a lot of work as you can see, so the leg rails fit into these holes in the leg:
6_4.jpg

Here you can see the pegs at the end of the leg rails which fit into the holes in the leg. The right leg has yet to be filled with resin. When the leg is filled with resin, the resin flows into the upper leg section also, so the whole leg becomes one piece and is VERY strong:
7_5.jpg

The left leg with the rails fitted. No glue is needed to fit the rails, they just push into position:
8_7.jpg

9_8.jpg

Here are the arm armour with scratch built detail which is not yet finished. Aso, the new scratch built rocket pods are test fitted:
10_8.jpg

The arms and gun pods fit together with PVC tube. No glue is needed:
11a_1.jpg

Here it is fitted together. Its a very heavy and sturdy model now
1_11.jpg

Keith.

As for making upgrade kits for this model, i will trade a set of 4 resin leg brakes for a set of decals ;)

Keith.

Very cool to see how your engineered your kit for increased strength, Keith.

Exceptional work. :thumbsup

Keith, I wish I had this information 20 years ago when I built mine. You're building Ed like I wish I had. I may have to dig around in the garage and see if I can find him. Time for a makeover. :D Cool job on yours too, Talisen. :thumbsup

Bill

Thanks,

I've just brought the decal thing up with the people at jbot.ca - they've produced and are selling a decal sheet I made for the Millennium Falcon and I've let them know that this is available as well. I'll let you know if they will take it on.

Thanks everyone.
Talisen, yes, please let me know if the decals become available. I don't have a printer or anything, so i can't make print out the decals myself.

Keith.

wow, keith,

Im really impressed with all the work you have done to that, your prep work overall on everything i have seen is top notch.

love to see this one painted

hi keith, i remember when i did mine i hollowed out the rear upper leg sections like you have but i added some rods to the inside(i think its the screw it uses to move its leg up and down)

i may have made that bit up but im sure it was on the film one?

i dont have the film to check :(

z

Yeah, there is a screw down the center. You can see the circular part on the top of the back leg spin as he rises up in the scene in the Tower where he's fighting Robo.

Yes, i have the screws for the inside of the leg rails. The hole is drilled in the top cap of the leg rails, but i've not drilled the holes in the leg section yet.

I've just fixed a mistake i made on the arms. For some reason i glued the pvc tube (tat fits into the head) into the wrong ends of the arm. Good job i noticed that before i painted them, as it was a pain in the ass getting that tube out after i superglued it in.

Keith.

Here are the screws which fit into a hole drilled in the centre of the leg:
2_5.jpg

The screws then fit into a hole drilled in the top of the leg rails:
3_5.jpg

4_4.jpg

5_6.jpg

Here is how the arms will be fitted now i've fixed the mistake when i had the arms the wrong way around. The head has the same sockets that the legs have glued into it and the arms have the PVC tube which fits into the socket:
6_5.jpg

The detail is finished in the mouth:
7_6.jpg

Keith.

man Keith this is amazing.I love what I'm seeing and makes me want to strip mine down and redo it as well...

When i was doing mine wayyyy back when I had toyed with the idea of cutting out the 4 knee cylinders and making actual ones out of brass and aluminum and replacing them. Never got to do it though. I think the knee mechanics could be done pretty easily so it don't all look cast into the vinyl.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back