Horizon ED-209 Model (FINISHED! NEW PICS)

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Keith, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Here are some parts of my horizon ED-209 that i've been working on.
    I molded and cast the pelvis section in Polyurethane Resin. I wanted this part to be light weight, but very strong.

I also cast the leg rails in resin. I removed one of the vinyl leg rails, plated up the inside with plastic card, but rather than do all that work another three times, i molded it and cast new ones. One set of rails are just restin on the leg section for these pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The whole model will fit together with PVC tubing as you can see fitted into the arms in the pics.
    The legs are filled with Polyurethane Resin wich has been rotocast inside them, so there is no shrinkage to the resin.

[​IMG]

Thanks wackychimp for hosting,

Keith.

2. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

hi keith, i had one of these kits years ago and there is a weak point that must be addressed
    [​IMG]

everything was fine on mine but it started to warp and sag at the arrowed part with time, mine was all put together and too late to fix :(

i thought you might want to know

cheers

z

3. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Hi Chris,

I have filled the whole leg section on mine with polyurethane resin. I filled them a bit at a time spinning the resin around inside the legs, so there was no shrinkage. I'll post some pics of it soon.

Keith.

4. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Here are some more pics.

This is how the legs join to the pelvis. The PVC tube passes through the pelvis and fits into the grey socket in the leg. The whole leg is now solid resin inside, so the grey socket will never move.
    As you can see, there are two locking bolts which fit into the leg and into the pelvis which make it impossible for the legs to move forward or back:
    [​IMG]

Here is the pelvis section with the PVC tube passing through it. The tube is also filled with resin, so its no solid. I ended up using the original pelvis as you can see:
    [​IMG]

The toes are solid resin and i have fitted them with metal rods which fit into the feet. I can now paint these separate and it will be easier to fit the wires which go between the toes after the model has been painted:
    [​IMG]

I cut off the original brakes after i made a mold of them so i could cast them in resin. These new resin brakes can be fitted in any position now:
    [​IMG]

I wanted to fit the new resin leg rails after the model has been painted, but i didn't just want to glue them onto the leg, so i have done quite a lot of work as you can see, so the leg rails fit into these holes in the leg:
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the pegs at the end of the leg rails which fit into the holes in the leg. The right leg has yet to be filled with resin. When the leg is filled with resin, the resin flows into the upper leg section also, so the whole leg becomes one piece and is VERY strong:
    [​IMG]

The left leg with the rails fitted. No glue is needed to fit the rails, they just push into position:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the arm armour with scratch built detail which is not yet finished. Aso, the new scratch built rocket pods are test fitted:
    [​IMG]

The arms and gun pods fit together with PVC tube. No glue is needed:
    [​IMG]

Here it is fitted together. Its a very heavy and sturdy model now
    [​IMG]

Keith.

5. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oooo. Exceptional. :D

- k

6. zorg

wow what a job keith.

its sick but in a good way:)

z

7. burningman

burningman Well-Known Member

you should be making upgrade kits for this thing ;)

8. Keith

Keith Sr Member

As for making upgrade kits for this model, i will trade a set of 4 resin leg brakes for a set of decals ;)

Keith.

9. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool to see how your engineered your kit for increased strength, Keith.

Exceptional work. :thumbsup

10. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

11. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

Keith, I wish I had this information 20 years ago when I built mine. You're building Ed like I wish I had. I may have to dig around in the garage and see if I can find him. Time for a makeover. :D Cool job on yours too, Talisen. :thumbsup

Bill

12. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Thanks,

I've just brought the decal thing up with the people at jbot.ca - they've produced and are selling a decal sheet I made for the Millennium Falcon and I've let them know that this is available as well. I'll let you know if they will take it on.

13. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Thanks everyone.
    Talisen, yes, please let me know if the decals become available. I don't have a printer or anything, so i can't make print out the decals myself.

Keith.

14. fettster

fettster Sr Member

wow, keith,

Im really impressed with all the work you have done to that, your prep work overall on everything i have seen is top notch.

love to see this one painted

15. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Impressive work. Can't wait to see this finished and all painted up.

16. zorg

hi keith, i remember when i did mine i hollowed out the rear upper leg sections like you have but i added some rods to the inside(i think its the screw it uses to move its leg up and down)

i may have made that bit up but im sure it was on the film one?

i dont have the film to check :(

z

17. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Yeah, there is a screw down the center. You can see the circular part on the top of the back leg spin as he rises up in the scene in the Tower where he's fighting Robo.

18. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Yes, i have the screws for the inside of the leg rails. The hole is drilled in the top cap of the leg rails, but i've not drilled the holes in the leg section yet.

I've just fixed a mistake i made on the arms. For some reason i glued the pvc tube (tat fits into the head) into the wrong ends of the arm. Good job i noticed that before i painted them, as it was a pain in the * getting that tube out after i superglued it in.

Keith.

19. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Here are the screws which fit into a hole drilled in the centre of the leg:
    [​IMG]

The screws then fit into a hole drilled in the top of the leg rails:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is how the arms will be fitted now i've fixed the mistake when i had the arms the wrong way around. The head has the same sockets that the legs have glued into it and the arms have the PVC tube which fits into the socket:
    [​IMG]

The detail is finished in the mouth:
    [​IMG]

Keith.

20. burningman

man Keith this is amazing.I love what I'm seeing and makes me want to strip mine down and redo it as well...

When i was doing mine wayyyy back when I had toyed with the idea of cutting out the 4 knee cylinders and making actual ones out of brass and aluminum and replacing them. Never got to do it though. I think the knee mechanics could be done pretty easily so it don't all look cast into the vinyl.

21. trooperprop

trooperprop Well-Known Member

Whoo,
    This is great.. I recently bought this kit of ebay for a normale price.
    THEN I found out about the hottoys one :cry
    Did not starting building it because of that.
    Now I want to start right away.

Great work. Please keep this updated :thumbsup :thumbsup

Is there any way to get some of your resin cast parts?

Greetings from the Netherlands,

BasD

22. PredatrHuntr

PredatrHuntr Well-Known Member

Wow - this is even better than the Horizon one. I always wanted one, but I had to settle for the Kenner one lol - the poor mans ED-209.

23. Keith

Keith Sr Member

I have no plans to offer any of the resin parts i made. Its too much work and wouldnt be worth my while.

I have assembled the head now and its turned out very nice, with no gaps between the back section and front section of the head.
    Before i glued the two parts of the head together, i reinforced the front section with resin, then after i glued the back on, i reinforced the back with resin letting the resin run over the join between the two head sections so the whole head became one piece.

You can see the resin inside the head in this picture:
    [​IMG]

I've just finished the final improvements to the model. I added the two missing rivet/bolt holes to the bottom of the front of the chin, drilled all the holes for the wires, fitted them and then removed them again before i painted the model in primer.
    The most noticeable improvement is the centre strut at each side of the mouth. Before the struts run all the way to the front, as you can see in the picture below, but they should end where the red line is:
    [​IMG]
    I have now cut the struts back to where they should end and reshaped them. The next pictures i will post will be the finished model in around two weeks from now.

Keith.

24. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Ed is almost finished now. I've put the model together today for the first time after painting it, as it just clips together without any glueing and it looks awesome :D

Keith.

25. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Keith, im speechless, that is amazing work and it looks ooo much better, id love to have a go at what you have done, the hottoys is nice, then again, i just dont so things the easy way i guess lol

26. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Here are pics of the finished model:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see a few improvements like the missing bolts/rivets added to the bottom of the chin, the centre strut at each side of the mouth has been cut back a bit, metal bolt added just infront of the arm socket as well as the scratch made white wire plug near the gun and wires. Also, i removed the two rivet heads from the front of the gun pods above the guns, as there should only be rivet heads below the guns:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To show the size of this huge model, here it is next to a can of coke:
    [​IMG]

I'm really happy with how it turned out, especially the grey colour. The model is under some bright lights for the pics, but in day light it looks a bit darker and more blue.
    The decals were drwn by Talisen (Ken Rice) Thanks for those Ken :thumbsup
    I'm having a professionally made glass dispaly case custom made for it at the moment and that will be ready in a few days.

Keith.

27. burningman

simply awesome.......

28. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Very nice work Keith.

29. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

That is one fine looking piece.. :love

The talent and skill level of the people on this board never cease to amaze me. :thumbsup

30. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Thanks very much, glad you all like it :)

Keith.

31. Too Much Garlic

Now THAT is ED-209. :eek :thumbsup

Would it be possible to get a tutorial of the colors used on this awesome looking kit, please? I would really appreciate that, if possible. :)

32. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Yes, i keep a little note with the colour numbers inside ED-209's head.
    The grey (i'm in the UK, so thats how we spell grey here) is made from:

Humbrol Enamel Satin light aircraft grey 166
    Revel Enamel Satin grey SM371
    Humbrol Enamel Gloss Mediterranean blue 48
    Humbrol Enamel Satin black 85
    Humbrol Enamel Satin white 130

Keith.

33. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Keith that is one amazing build up, he looks wonderful, its a bloody shame your in the north and im in the midlands as id love to see this in the flesh sometime, maybe at a show? Gabberflasted mateypoos. :thumbsup

34. Too Much Garlic

Thanks for the list.

Looking forward to seeing more from you. :) :thumbsup

35. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Holy mackerel, Keith. That's breathtaking.

Brilliant job, man -- inside and out. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

36. fettster

fettster Sr Member

wow keith

that really turned out well.

Im really impressed with the subtle weathering.

trully amazing

37. natty15d

natty15d Well-Known Member

SUPERB....

very nicely done

Nathan

38. trooperprop

trooperprop Well-Known Member

Very well done...
    Looks like the real deal to me.
    Great attention to details.
    :thumbsup :thumbsup

Greetings from the Netherlands,

BasD

now were did I leave my ED-209 kit...

39. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Phil Tippit called, he wants his model back . . .
    Nice job

40. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Thanks everyone :)

Keith.

41. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Keith @ May 22 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]1248766[/snapback]</div>
    Simply astonishing. Your paint job is incredible. I can't believe how well you nailed the look. The previous comment about phill tippit wanting his model back captured my first reaction as well. It is a shame that your solution for the leg flex couldn't be made available for the rest of us ED-209 owners.

all you need now is a sound card that says, 'PLEASE PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPON; YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY.'

42. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Yeah, it would be great if he could talk.

The dust-proof glass display case arrived today:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keith.

43. fettster

fettster Sr Member

looks great

44. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Nice case, i have two like that myself housing my TIE bomber and FMMF, did you get that from MDC in coventry Keith? The case really sets off the model nicely. :thumbsup

45. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Thanks :) Yes, thats where i got the case from. It cost £47.50

Keith.

46. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Thought i recognised the work, :p they do great cases for great money, the one i have the FMMF in cost £50 with backing mirror and floor. :thumbsup

47. Keith

Keith Sr Member

They are nice cases. I think i will get one made for my 2nd Horizon hunter killer when i've finished it.
    I've just noticed that MDC have used one of my pictures in their customer gallery:
    http://www.modeldisplaycases.co.uk/custom.html

Keith.

48. darb

darb Active Member

Hey kieth that is a great kit I have the same one. I would love to see pics of your flying hk that you did since I am working on one now as well.

Brad

49. REL

REL Sr Member

That looks great. I've always liked that design, and Robocop II.

50. Weazel1

Weazel1 Well-Known Member

Finally, a Horizon ED-209 that actually LOOKS like an ED-209. That is just phenominal work.

Brian