:D

I really WANT to do another run of these. I've been trying to get my master back for years. I know people have said they're interested, just don't have the master in hand to pull new molds. :(

When the new run happens, eventually, I'm probably going to use a new resin that's even more durable than the last stuff I used. Will likely do cold cast like before. Some people seem to like that. :)

Just a reminder that this is not an interest/sales thread so let's please keep the sales related questions and "I'm interested" posts out of the thread. If/When a run or interest thread has been started, a link will be posted here. Thanks. :)

Regarding the "metal finish" applied to some of the airsoft guns which increases the prices... So NOT worth it. I bought an airsoft PPK (James Bond) with that finish years ago and it looks really authentic... For a time. It actually wipes off on your hands like an oil with any handling.

The Webley replica is based on the wrong model, so it's not correct for the Indy version. :(

Regarding the "metal finish" applied to some of the airsoft guns which increases the prices... So NOT worth it. I bought an airsoft PPK (James Bond) with that finish years ago and it looks really authentic... For a time. It actually wipes off on your hands like an oil with any handling.

The Webley replica is based on the wrong model, so it's not correct for the Indy version. :(
I know!…I’m forced to by the wrong model because nobody sells one of these bad boys! LOL

:)

I bought an airsoft Webley two or three years ago and the paint chipped all the hell. I’m currently in the slow process of stripping the remaining paint and refinishing the gun a little more permanently.

And oh, how I wish it were the Webley Green. That birds-head grip is a work of art.

I have one from the latest Todd's run in the "Jupiter" finish. It doesn't appear to be fragile to me, I'd certainly be surprised if it was susceptible to wiping off. It even feels cool and metallic to the touch. It's a bit shiny and I have made no efforts to weather it, so I can't vouch for how well it can be made to look used. I'm no photographer, but here are some shots that are somewhat representative, the brightness should be toned down a little to match reality.

PXL_20220624_165511302.jpg

PXL_20220624_165518822.jpg

PXL_20220624_165535044.jpg

PXL_20220624_165639359.MP.jpg

I have one from the latest Todd's run in the "Jupiter" finish. It doesn't appear to be fragile to me, I'd certainly be surprised if it was susceptible to wiping off. It even feels cool and metallic to the touch. It's a bit shiny and I have made no efforts to weather it, so I can't vouch for how well it can be made to look used. I'm no photographer, but here are some shots that are somewhat representative, the brightness should be toned down a little to match reality.

View attachment 1591187

View attachment 1591188

View attachment 1591189

View attachment 1591190

I wish I had bought one of these when he had them.

I presume how you store it will also affect the finish. Whether it's a real pistol or an airsoft replica. Keeping it in the leather holster all the time may alter how the finish holds up. I was told by a few gunshop employees once that the tanning process of certain leather can eat away at the blueing of a pistol. They warned me not to use any holster made from chrome tanned leather for prolonged periods.

I don't know much about real firearms or the finishing process for these replicas, but it's just something to consider. I took them at their word because they're around this stuff all the time. So perhaps storing it in a case, or some other method would help preserve the condition.

I presume how you store it will also affect the finish. Whether it's a real pistol or an airsoft replica. Keeping it in the leather holster all the time may alter how the finish holds up. I was told by a few gunshop employees once that the tanning process of certain leather can eat away at the blueing of a pistol. They warned me not to use any holster made from chrome tanned leather for prolonged periods.

I don't know much about real firearms or the finishing process for these replicas, but it's just something to consider. I took them at their word because they're around this stuff all the time. So perhaps storing it in a case, or some other method would help preserve the condition.
I'll have to start storing my Indy guns out of the holsters, I appreciate the info!

Then again if you're going for a weathered look, holstering it might give you the desired effect. I couldn't say for sure though. It's usually the constant holstering and drawing of real guns that wears out the bluing.

That's true too. Though the way these guys described the process the chrome salts would eat away at the finish, which would look different than what most would like to see as a weathered finish because it would discolor where the leather was in the most contact with the surface of the metal. Like you said, most of the wear and tear would be due to holstering and unholstering the gun, along with the basic action of using it which is going to wear down any object.

Just to chime in on this topic…When I was a kid my dad collected real John Wayne guns… (which is probably why I’m in this God forsaken hobby!)…but I remember he left a pistol in a leather holster in a display cabinet for years. The metal of the gun kinda ruined and stained the leather. I think the gun had a small blemish too.

Most of us collect replica guns, I guess if they’re cheap enough you may not care if it gets damaged in a holster because you want a certain look. However, if you’re worried about the gun at all I’d keep it OUT of the holster.

I'll point Rook over here if he hasn't seen this thread yet as well.... I don't personally own one of his Webleys, but he's a good guy and his quality shows (y)
I asked Rook about it 1-2 years ago. He said he was planning to do another run. However he said someone else has his actual webley, which he needs to create a fresh mold. If I’d only known you earlier Psab keel, would have bought rook’s webley off of you without a second thought. [EDIT. Rook already updated the status on a new run earlier in this chain.]

I have the Jupiter finish s&w and the metal finish at home. There seemed to be little difference between the two but maybe I can check more closely. I think the Jupiter might have been slightly magnetic, which would have been attributable to the finish only because the base frame is plastic.

As for the browning, psab keel’s version is all (or mostly) metal. It’s really nice. There are Tanaka ones which might be slightly more consistent with the Belgian or Canadian ones used on screen, but they’re all plastic.

Last edited:
:D

I really WANT to do another run of these. I've been trying to get my master back for years. I know people have said they're interested, just don't have the master in hand to pull new molds. :(

When the new run happens, eventually, I'm probably going to use a new resin that's even more durable than the last stuff I used. Will likely do cold cast like before. Some people seem to like that. :)
Rook,
I will buy one the second it’s available. I’ve had my money ready for years now. I will hire someone to get your webley back. Well, not that last part.

Last edited:
I had the Tanaka Browning a few years ago. It was decent but the other brand was nicer made imo.

el toro if I'd known you were in the market I would have sold my Rook Webley to you. I really hope they make the correct version in an airsoft or metal version one day. I've been wanting one since 2009.

Some photos of the regular Tanaka (matte) and the Jupiter (shiny) finish. I thought I had a regular steel finish, which looks basically identical to the Jupiter, but I can’t locate it since I moved. Magnets basically adhere to the entire Jupiter finish, while for the matte version, magnets only stick to the cylinder, trigger and hammer. Btw, if anyone has one of rook’s webley cold casts, and is looking for a matte Tanaka m1917, let’s talk.

CFF0479E-F39D-4D09-8806-C17E0B6759AB.jpeg
AE34BB45-3463-4BD1-8746-08554270AE61.jpeg
3FF8D4E7-43D7-4B7D-AC81-ED45F60E4FEF.jpeg
9EF63E7C-1852-44AB-853C-087FEBE2676C.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back