Hi! I have boobs and I make...

Incoming newbie...

Hi I'm Dani, I'm a cosplayer as opposed to a costumer, though I often struggle to tell the difference.

dragon_age__mage_pride_by_stripeydani-d51paiv.jpg

old__professor_snape_by_stripeydani-d3ffemc.jpg

Yeah... I dress as men a lot xD

Or do all of you create threads and they just disappear that fast? I know my threads can sometimes fade into the horizon pretty quickly lol so I wonder if that's what happens to most of them. (also I know this happens to a lot of guy threads to in general.....basically anything that isn't Batman or Iron man lol!)

Mine disappeared quickly so I haven't updated them very often. Shaak Ti and Sahe Vizla have been really big projects but got relatvely few comments. I don't like to make guesses as to why, I think it is unfair but it is discouraging to see your own user name over and over again ;) But it does then discourage me to comment. So when I get back from D*C I'll to to make that change too :)

I saw someone comment about their daughter (or friends daughter..?) being harassed for their hair. Sorry I'm not sure what page it was hopefully you will be able to see and comment though :)

I too have lost most of my hair due to medictaion. Methotrexate s a bas**** and I take it every week so my hair is not going to ever get back to the fullness it once was. But I have a funny hairline so wigs look funky. I try to use hair pieces where possible but have also gotten into wearing costumes that disguise my hair ful stop. I have so little hair that even hair pieces can pull and break my hair too quickly.
Also, my hair now resists colouring!

So I absolutely empathise with her, please give her my best :)

I've also been on steroids for 11 years. It takes a huge toll on my body. Some would say who cares? Fat is fat and that I shouldn't costume what I choose to.

To that I give a very big middle finger wave. I have already had to give up most of my life due to pain and damage that extends far beyond joint damage and hair loss. I can't drive, I can't dance, I can't sing I can't perform on stage anymore. I can't work even half time. I am good enough to work in the industry but I can't because of that same disease that means I have to rely on steroids.

Do you really think your being offended by a little jiggle is even remotely in the same league of Reasons to Not Do this in comparison?

Yet Western Society currently says this is the number one Reason To Not Do this. And do you know why? Money. If you keep a large part of the population feeling insecure you can sell them anything.

TW, the reverse is also not true :) I most sincerely do not hold any ill feelings towards those who are appreciated by modern aesthetics. The "u so jelly" response makes me very mad. It's usually not true. Not liking the societal expectations does not mean not liking those who meet them :)

Anyway, hoping to meet so many of you at Dragon Con :) Current projects have very few photos but:
Friday:
Blackwidow for the photo shoot with Bryan and the Marvel photoshoot.
Satine, Black Diamonds in the evening for the Rougie meet up

Saturday:

Liara for the Parade
Hopefully Catwoman (comic style) for the DC photoshoot
If I can there will be another for a contest that evening

Sunday:
Shae Vizla, probably.
Reinette (sparkly ball gown) evening

Monday:
Possibly Blackwidow or Shae again.
Then a scuba suit to swim with the whale shark at the aquarium XD

There's a Marvel photoshoot on Friday? The only one I had heard of was on Sunday.

PHArchivist--people are always telling me I look like someone they know, I guess I have a pretty generic face!

Dani--your costumes are great! I'll confess I'm not entirely sure of the difference between a cosplayer and a costumer, either.

Yep! Got confused by my own schedule ;)

Well for some reason people ivide cosplay and costuming on genre lines when actually it's really simple:

Costuming: it's the making of the stuff. Just think about the industry, you work in wardrobe as a ... costumer. If you wear the gear.. you are the actors/models/background talent etc. but you are unlikely to be a costumer- unless you have a look the director likes and pulls you from behind the scenes. It happens.b You have dressers, seamsters, cutters, fitters etc. but on the whole it is the process of making garments to wear.

Cosplaying: is the wearing at conventions/shoots etc. No one knows if you made the gear or bought it of any of your background. But they do see you wearing it and acting a part or posing etc.

You can do both, you can favour one over the other. They are not the same and they are not mutually exclusive.

I see the term cosplay used as part of a smack down of the anime/game costuming crowd. I find this amusing on one hand as I do a lot of Historical costuming where the term costume is looked down on ;) It's garb or clothing.
And annoying on another as it shows an elitism based on pereption rather than looking at what the words mean.

Yep! Got confused by my own schedule ;)

Well for some reason people ivide cosplay and costuming on genre lines when actually it's really simple:

Costuming: it's the making of the stuff. Just think about the industry, you work in wardrobe as a ... costumer. If you wear the gear.. you are the actors/models/background talent etc. but you are unlikely to be a costumer- unless you have a look the director likes and pulls you from behind the scenes. It happens.b You have dressers, seamsters, cutters, fitters etc. but on the whole it is the process of making garments to wear.

Cosplaying: is the wearing at conventions/shoots etc. No one knows if you made the gear or bought it of any of your background. But they do see you wearing it and acting a part or posing etc.

You can do both, you can favour one over the other. They are not the same and they are not mutually exclusive.

I see the term cosplay used as part of a smack down of the anime/game costuming crowd. I find this amusing on one hand as I do a lot of Historical costuming where the term costume is looked down on ;) It's garb or clothing.
And annoying on another as it shows an elitism based on pereption rather than looking at what the words mean.

Exactly. I personally use the term 'cosplay' to explain when I'm dressing up in a fan costume to go to a convention and use 'costumer' for real life working on a production. Helps me keep my crazy costume inhabited life straight. Unfortunately, it irks some people to hear that term used for non-anime characters. Ah well. :)

I find this amusing on one hand as I do a lot of Historical costuming where the term costume is looked down on ;) It's garb or clothing.

I'm an SCA newbie and I keep messing up and saying "costume." I used to work for my college's historic costume and textile collection which is exactly what it sounds like, so I'm used to the word "costume" meaning clothing that people actually wore, just not in this era. But most people I've met in the SCA seem to find "costume" insulting since to them it implies something fake and just for show ... language is interesting, no?

I think my favorite definition though would have to be when my friend's 5-year-old son explained to me the difference between garb and clothes: "garb is made out of fabric."

Do you guys still call it cosplay if it's not actually a character from something (say it's an original steampunk design)? I think in the communities I've been in cosplay usually implies "dressing up as [character]."

I was in the process of joining another group, which shall remain nameless, but I was in no hurry to finish my build. The head of the group contacted me to see if I was still interested. I told him that I was almost finished with my costume and would sign up when I was. He gave me a lecture on how they are not cosplayers and it's called a uniform. Yeah.....needless to say I still haven't finished and even when I do I won't be joining. I don't care what you call it... I LOVE IT. I want to make it, build it, wear it. Suffer from cuts and bruises and glue all over my hands. I want blisters from glue gun burns and from uncomfortable (but cannon!) footwear and stained hands from leather dye. I want achy hands from hand sewing. I want to blow my nose and see purple dye and pick bits of flying plastic from the dremel out of my hair. Lack of sleep, seam rippers, the all important walk around to cool off and the occasional tears of frustration from just not getting something to work. But most of all I want to wear that big, stupid grin when someone says OMG that is an amazing _______ did you make it?? Why yes! Yes. I. Did.

I was in the process of joining another group, which shall remain nameless, but I was in no hurry to finish my build. The head of the group contacted me to see if I was still interested. I told him that I was almost finished with my costume and would sign up when I was. He gave me a lecture on how they are not cosplayers and it's called a uniform. Yeah.....needless to say I still haven't finished and even when I do I won't be joining. I don't care what you call it... I LOVE IT. I want to make it, build it, wear it. Suffer from cuts and bruises and glue all over my hands. I want blisters from glue gun burns and from uncomfortable (but cannon!) footwear and stained hands from leather dye. I want achy hands from hand sewing. I want to blow my nose and see purple dye and pick bits of flying plastic from the dremel out of my hair. Lack of sleep, seam rippers, the all important walk around to cool off and the occasional tears of frustration from just not getting something to work. But most of all I want to wear that big, stupid grin when someone says OMG that is an amazing _______ did you make it?? Why yes! Yes. I. Did.

This should be a Stuck at the top of the thread. Well said!

I'm an SCA newbie and I keep messing up and saying "costume." I used to work for my college's historic costume and textile collection which is exactly what it sounds like, so I'm used to the word "costume" meaning clothing that people actually wore, just not in this era. But most people I've met in the SCA seem to find "costume" insulting since to them it implies something fake and just for show ... language is interesting, no?

Frankly if the term is good enough for the finest collections of costume in the world (The Metroplotcan, the Kyoto Costume Institute) then it's good enough for a bunch of people doing this for fun!
Keep using the word. I'm a costuming laurel and have been very vocal about how i do in fact make historical costume. Clothing is just part of it.

Costume literally means an ensemble meant for a specific occasion. it includes clothing, shoes, accessories. So it actually is a better term as we tend to make all those to go with our gear :) Judges wear costume. So does anyone wearing a uniform for that matter.

Do you guys still call it cosplay if it's not actually a character from something (say it's an original steampunk design)? I think in the communities I've been in cosplay usually implies "dressing up as [character]."

Most Steampunkers I know do have a persona they create so technically it does fall under cosplaying. Even SCA personas cross in to that line. I don't roleplay when I do Steampunk or SCA but I do have a backstory and will play scenes of vignettes where appropriate.

So I'm fine with either term so long as they aren't used to limit expectations.

Again, loving this thread :) We are tackling some interesting questions and giving support in a poistive way. Holla!

And speaking of wanting to do all that and geek about it after a la FANGS' post: If anyone wants to play Identify That Costuming Injury I'm all set XD Oooh maybe we could make a bingo set?
Dremel cut
Knife cut
Pin/neddle stick
Prop dropped on foot/head/ shoulder (different points for each)
Sewing machine injury (my best one was the take up arm hitting my eye.. I may have been sitting close....)

Or a drinking game!

Okay, back to masking to get painting! Holla! (yes, Caroline from 2 Broke Girls is on my next con costume schedule. I have a Max, would love to find a Sophie, Han and Oleg....)

Oooooo....I have pictures of the time I sewed through my finger and didn't think before I pulled it through the needle.....lovely.......do I win? hahaha

This. <3

THIS needs to be on a shirt!(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

I want to make it, build it, wear it. Suffer from cuts and bruises and glue all over my hands. I want blisters from glue gun burns and from uncomfortable (but cannon!) footwear and stained hands from leather dye. I want achy hands from hand sewing. I want to blow my nose and see purple dye and pick bits of flying plastic from the dremel out of my hair. Lack of sleep, seam rippers, the all important walk around to cool off and the occasional tears of frustration from just not getting something to work. But most of all I want to wear that big, stupid grin when someone says OMG that is an amazing _______ did you make it?? Why yes! Yes. I. Did.

In my way of thinking, all clothing is costume. Each outfit has its own time and place; some of this may be culturally determined.

The dress a young woman would wear to go clubbing would be inappropriate in a Muslim country. SCA, reenactors, and historical costumers recreate and wear garments from the past that "mundanes" look at askance. The suit (bathing) you would wear to the beach would be terribly out of place for a meeting of the board of directors at a Fortune 500 firm.

What this means for me...I make all my costumes with the same attention to detail that I do for my "mundane" clothing. And it allows me to say "All clothing is costume. Even no clothing is costume, or why else would they call it a 'birthday suit'?" ;-)

I've been offline for far too long... Still, I've got great news!

I'm moving right now, painting some rooms and soon I'll have my workshop! I can put in a mannequin (I NEEEED ONE), a sewing machine and I also will start my first helmet with fiberglass and the other will be a lot of sanding. I can't wait to start! However, it's pretty hot now here, and the room is like a sauna in there. 96F or more in there. (For me it's in Celsius but because I'm so nice and globally oriented.. :lol )

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back