Hi! I have boobs and I make...

Morning all! Busy building for Dragon Con and just had a mild panic attack. Just a tad more than 2 weeks till con! EEEK! There needs to be a law that says we don't have to work our day jobs (but still get paid) 2 weeks out from con! :) A costume holiday!

I agree too! I am working my butt off trying to get my sandtrooper done to go on a trailer by 6am Sunday...not sure it's going to make it! I need at least 1 day off to make it happen!

I'm curious, how many of you ladies are also moms?

I am a mom, and a grandma too! I have so many hobbies & projects going at any given time that I don't think anybody knows what I am up to!
I have just recently started obsessing over costume building and I think my first costume (for myself) is going to be a predator adaptation.
Right now I am tackling my first Pepakura project for my 13 year old son- I picked a doozy to start with..... a Daedric helmet from Skyrim! Talk about complicated!!
I just finished gluing the paper parts together, and I will be resining and fiberglassing soon. Then its off to the armor and then....... maybe... my predator costume :rolleyes

I have boobs and I make things for myself and my fiancee...

Pete01c.jpg

SHIELD.jpg

barbarianpete.jpg

DSCF8451.jpg

femdoom.jpg

DSCF5740.jpg

There are more, need to find the pictures

I am so loving the western Punisher...100/100

Agreed! Not only do I have to deal with all of the Con stuff that explodes out of my suit cases (it ALL fit when I left!) as soon as I get home but also the remains of the disaster I left in those last few hours of "I've got an hour! I can make a lined bolero no problem!

That costume holiday needs to extend at least one day after the con for laundry, mending, replenishing makeup, etc.

Lynn

Last edited:
I knew there had to be more of us!

I have a 4 year old son and a 5 year old son, and I am a stay at home mom. The 5 year old starts kindergarten this year, but both have been at a learning center three days a week for the past two years.

*SNIP*

If we are in con mode, we spend all our time working on costumes and props, foregoing watching tv or movies or playing video games. If we aren't in the middle of a project, then we do more leisurely things. It is usually a giant balancing act based on time of year and upcoming events. Sometimes we have to give up other fun things to participate in this hobby. Sometimes we just give up sleep! :lol

That's great you and your husband work on things together! My husband will once in a while, but he's not driven like me.

You know, when my kids were smaller I spent more time costuming, but when they went into elementary school it got to be too much... you would think it would be the other way around.

Now that my kids are older they actually are more into what I'm doing and my 14 year old especially understands the 'need to focus on this right now' because he does computer programming and what not.

I am a mom, and a grandma too! I have so many hobbies & projects going at any given time that I don't think anybody knows what I am up to!
I have just recently started obsessing over costume building and I think my first costume (for myself) is going to be a predator adaptation.
Right now I am tackling my first Pepakura project for my 13 year old son- I picked a doozy to start with..... a Daedric helmet from Skyrim! Talk about complicated!!
I just finished gluing the paper parts together, and I will be resining and fiberglassing soon. Then its off to the armor and then....... maybe... my predator costume :rolleyes

Oh wow! Not many kids can say, 'My grandma is dressing up as a predator." haha!

That's so awesome. Are you posting a thread on the boards? I really want to follow this.

Agreed! I forgot to add, in addition to the two Dremels and the one sewing machine I have worn out, I am on my third vacuum cleaner. I have sucked up too many loose threads and straight pins in the after-con cleaning frenzy.

Lynn

Agreed! Not only do I have to deal with all of the Con stuff that explodes out of my suit cases (it ALL fit when I left!) as soon as I get home but also the remains of the disaster I left in those last few hours of "I've got an hour! I can make a lined bolero no problem!

Last edited:
What works for me is focusing on characters in movies/tv series that I love.

Watching them is great, but when you start studying the costumes, spending time with the creation of them and walking around in them it brings a whole new level of enjoyment.

The costumes that have flopped for me are when I made something because maybe I looked a bit like the character and it was popular enough to be recognized... but I didn't love the character or the story or the costume so it wasn't as fun to work on or walk around in.

Once you find something you want to do, here are three principles I focus on when replicating:

Shape: the template/pattern should be made in something very cheap until you are satisfied. Sometimes I borrow from other patterns already there, sometimes I construct them myself, but it is the foundation of everything else.

Texture: the material you're using should match how the original piece flows/feels/holds up... Even if it isn't to start with, can can it be manipulated to simulate it: matte, pitted, shiny, flowing, ridged etc. Also, consider what you choose for the final principle:

Color: matching the original color and weathering of the costume (if there is any) is the final consideration. Dying, painting, bleaching, staining etc.

There are plenty of tutorials out there to draw from too, if starting from scratch is a bit daunting. Even if the tutorial isn't for the costume you want to make, you can still learn the technique and adjust it for yourself. I have a few you can look at if you want - in my signature link. :)

Thank you, you have been extremely helpful. And that's kind of crazy, the reason I haven't cosplayed sooner is because I was trying to find a character I look like. (I have a general face that fits into most characters but nothing specific) I feel like I've been missing out just because I didn't look a certain way.

I've been told that craft foam is easier to work with when you're just starting out, I hope that's true. Ultimately I'd like to try costuming Nariko from Heavenly Sword (button smashing game like Devil May Cry or God of War), but the last attempt I had at it I found it overwhelming. With no experience on anything it's hard to make something that even regular costumers find somewhat challenging.

Your advice is very well received and I appreciate it. What are your thoughts on makeup? Theatre paint, powder, latex... a combination?

The above advice from Guri is good! Mine is more philosophical: Don't ever NOT attempt a costume because you think it's beyond your skill level. Your first attempt won't be perfect, but in the process of making it, you'll learn how to do it better, and your skills will improve. Plus, if it's a costume you love and really want to make, you'll be motivated to stick with it and see it come together!

When I started cosplaying, I didn't know ANYTHING about sewing; I barely passed home-ec class and had no real-life interest in any kind of crafting. My first cosplay was literally held together with safety pins and duct tape, and it wasn't until my third costume that I borrowed a sewing machine to play with. But I loved costumes, so I kept trying new things even though I wasn't really good at it, and through trial-and-error I learned new techniques. Now I'm a Masters-level competitor -- and I actually know how to thread the sewing machine and stuff! It's still amazing to me! :D

That is some amazing advice. I've always been scared just because I am a perfectionist and if something isn't done right, I feel I've failed. But it's good to remember that it's all part of the learning process. :) I don't feel so awkward about it now.

And I don't know much about sewing, but I am pretty good at making clothes look torn, worn, dyed... etc. So I hope that will come in handy.

Oooh a good one!

Aside from what Guri and AVA have already said (Holla) I have a few other things :)

I sometimes forget just how much stuff I have in my brain already. It's not just costume theory and practice it's also art history, social history (as opposed to learning dates and wars) a lot of science nerding and stres of modern graphic art.

All of this means I can usually spot where a designer has taken inspiration or patterned directly from. And it helps to problem solve. Build up a library of art that inspires you regardless of where it is from :) It's also taught me to love the bizarre- Guardainfantes and early Mantuas I am looking at you....

Also practice. If you are too nervous to go headfirst into a project then get scraps and play. Ask for off cuts of plastic at sign shops and learn how they take paint or how you cut them. Home renovation stores often have off cuts if you ask, otherwise yard lengths of tubing, pipe and other bits and bobs are reasonable to practice with.
Tools and stuff to stick things to other things are usually where the costs mount up.

Think of it as "Experimenting, for Science!" rather than practice drills and it will help :) You can also use it to make small test props/accessories that can be built up into larger projects.

I'm one of those head first kind of people. But this is still something I want to get better at! Patience grasshopper.

Also mess is a natural side effect. It's taken two decades for me to at least tidy after myself every few days. It's another good habit to practice- keeping the mess under control!

Edited to add: rock on everyone :) Glad to see we are all being supportive even when discussing difficult topics (online bullying should *not* be a fact of life to be just accepted) and yay, will sign into FB properly and like everyone after a rest and sewing some buckles :) )

I love to play around with scraps! But then they just become... scraps. lol.

Your advice is critical though. Living in Alaska, there isn't much opportunity for "craft nights" around here that aren't parents just bringing in their kids for day care. But perhaps just going into stores and asking for a little one-on-one time couldn't hurt. I never really thought of that before.

Also, everyone saying that mess is natural really helps. I'm hardly ever proud of a DIY project if it didn't turn out well but it's important to remember trial and error. So thanks, it's really getting me motivated.

Is there anything you guys here wouldn't recommend doing? (material, outfits, explosive concoctions, etc)

Oooh, I'd love to see that! Do you have photos? Back when we were showing regularly, we used to do costume classes with our horses. I'd love to get back into that.

Sadly, Only 1 photo I have and it was a 'In process' photo, I stuck some rolled on my 'Skull on a Spine' Staff and stuck it in garden to get a few pics, so the ears aren't part of it.

rohan horse (4).jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
It was stolen when it was finished and was in tack room.

I'm curious, how many of you ladies are also moms?

My sons are 14 and 10 (11 in a month) and over the past several years I've had to pull out of costuming and convention going to focus on them.

This year we decided to go to Dcon again and tonight I realized anew why I stopped! Trying to juggle the costume building and convention preparation with school starting, their drama and just every day household stuff brought back all that stress I remember nearly did me in.

So, if you're a mom - how do you manage and juggle your hobby and... life?

Mine are Alex, daughter, 11 in Nov and Beren, my Son, who will be 9 next wednesday. Beren is Autistic. Last year at Manchester Comic Con, he threw the most amazing kick off (anyone with Autistic kids will know this type of kick off, the kind that you want the floor to open up and take you.)
This year he was a star. We made him a huge 'Head' so he could be Cat Face.
Running around doing everything for them, crippled spine and my illness it's a wonder I get anything done but I only sleep 3 to 6 hours a night depending on pain so I fill the night time peace with sewing.

rohan horse (4).jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
It was stolen when it was finished and was in tack room.

Someone stole it???!? Ugh that's horrible!! Especially for horse people. I grew up riding horses (dressage and jumping) and something like stealing out of a tack room is such a huge deal. Nevermind that those are other peoples items but horse tack is not cheap. I wonder if another rider stole it or maybe one of the barn hands did. Either way it's such a shame.

Also I had a real quick question to all who are reading this thread:

Is anyone here a costumer who does commissions or hires costumers to do their commissioned pieces? I have a customer who I did a Sweeney costume last year who is in Oregon and this year he wanted me to do another costume. The problem is is I am swamped with orders and I just can't take any more on getting this close to my due date and with having to deal with moving into a new house and all of that. He's looking to be the Headless Horseman from Tim Burtons Sleepy Hollow.

Darth Mule was suggested and if you're reading this and are interested in taking it on please let me know and I can either give you my customers email or I can give him your info.

If there is anyone else please let me know as I'd like to give him a list of people to choose from. I get wary of suggesting others because you just never know how it can reflect upon yourself if that connection goes bad but I'm going to inform him that these are just other costumers who I know of and were recommended and any decision he goes with is basically on him and not me.

He's looking to have the costume just before Oct 27th.

Ladies I just want to say your level of skill is staggering! each page of this threat has been an inspiration! I commend all of you on your talent and your bravery! (somebody early on mentioned not being entirely happy with their body)

ALL of you are beautiful, in and out of costume!

(I know that last part sounds suspect, what do you want from a grumpy old sailor!?)

Wow, I'm late to the party. I really need to stop disappearing from the RPF all the time.

But hi! I'm Geektress and I make clothes and I'm just starting to work on props. Like, JUST starting. Today. I just finished my first attempt at a sculpt ..... I don't think it went well...

But I wanted to join the party. So yeah. Here are a couple of pictures:

384365_10150380220161524_697780678_n.jpg

386614_10150380219861524_1195456937_n.jpg

.... I did say a COUPLE. XD

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back