Hi! I have boobs and I make...

photo-1.jpg

Ladies can pull off "bondo" better ;)

Love the picture and the shirt, Hydra! ;D

To the term discussion; I've had that one a couple of times, lastly on fb in february. Those people were opposed to the term cosplay, but in the group I normally do costuming and cosplay with we use both terms.

For me costuming is what I make, and cosplay is what I do (with what I make). It is easy to both be a costumer and a cosplayer, but some people only make costumes for others while some only wear costumes they get from others. Different people do different things. :)

I don't think you have to be a specific character to cosplay; cosplay literally means 'costume play'/'playing in costume'. It says nothing about being a specific character, so there is nothing wrong with people making their own 'character' to go with a costume.

Kialna; so what would that be in celcius? ;) We had 27C here today, so really hot and humid.

36C in our backyard. That's abnormal for The Netherlands.....

I'm melting away in my room. Locked all doors, closed the curtains and let down the sunscreen. I have no fan or airco. My parents have airco.... lucky them!

In my new home it's even hotter. It's badly isolated and the sun is shining RIGHT in the bedroom I just painted. I went away before it got too hot in there. There are going to be some NICE DARK curtains there to make sure I won't die of the heat... Maybe I should sleep in a tub with water :lol

Oh and this is the wallpainting I did today, completely freehand.

36C?! o_O I hope it wasn't as humid as it was here. (We had virtually no wind today, which is uncommon here).

The freehand art looks nice. :) My apartment gets hot when the sun is shining and the temperature rises, too. It's days like these you don't want to do too much moving around. My way of getting the temperature down is simply to open more windows as it's really the only possibility I have. (Airco is uncommon here, too).

It was humid. around 70%. We had no wind as well so I closed all doors and just shut myself in after I took a cold shower. Doing the same thing again today, which will become 38C... or hotter. I'm stuck with my parents because my home isn't done yet. But I wished I lived there already.

No more fights with the sisters, No more being called guilty of things, just...me. And I would finally be able to work on the things I've still to do.

I was in the process of joining another group, which shall remain nameless, but I was in no hurry to finish my build. The head of the group contacted me to see if I was still interested. I told him that I was almost finished with my costume and would sign up when I was. He gave me a lecture on how they are not cosplayers and it's called a uniform. Yeah.....needless to say I still haven't finished and even when I do I won't be joining. I don't care what you call it... I LOVE IT. I want to make it, build it, wear it. Suffer from cuts and bruises and glue all over my hands. I want blisters from glue gun burns and from uncomfortable (but cannon!) footwear and stained hands from leather dye. I want achy hands from hand sewing. I want to blow my nose and see purple dye and pick bits of flying plastic from the dremel out of my hair. Lack of sleep, seam rippers, the all important walk around to cool off and the occasional tears of frustration from just not getting something to work. But most of all I want to wear that big, stupid grin when someone says OMG that is an amazing _______ did you make it?? Why yes! Yes. I. Did.

This needs more spreading around...

@kialna: Ugh. We had it cooler today, and hopefully soon so will you. Good luck getting the apartment done and moving into it. I was quite happy when I moved out myself and lived with my brother for a while, before moving to another city. No more 'discussions' about my hobbies, my friends (because online friends aren't real friends, and chatting online is not social), my time spent online, my time spend reading (that's anti-social, too, y'know), my travels to see said friends etc. It was a bit of a relief moving out and not having my mom watching everything I did. (Don't get me wrong I love my mom, but we're very different and view life in different ways). My relationship with my mom improved again when we weren't living in the same house anymore. Sometimes you just need a little distance and space.

Granted, my mom still don't understand my fascination with costumes, but she respects what I do.

36C in our backyard. That's abnormal for The Netherlands.....

The first time I saw this I thought to myself, "you do not have to give us you size" and it still gets me when I scroll through the thread.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

@kialna: Ugh. We had it cooler today, and hopefully soon so will you. Good luck getting the apartment done and moving into it. I was quite happy when I moved out myself and lived with my brother for a while, before moving to another city. No more 'discussions' about my hobbies, my friends (because online friends aren't real friends, and chatting online is not social), my time spent online, my time spend reading (that's anti-social, too, y'know), my travels to see said friends etc. It was a bit of a relief moving out and not having my mom watching everything I did. (Don't get me wrong I love my mom, but we're very different and view life in different ways). My relationship with my mom improved again when we weren't living in the same house anymore. Sometimes you just need a little distance and space.

Granted, my mom still don't understand my fascination with costumes, but she respects what I do.

Yep, this is exactly what I'm going through, but my mom is the only one who actually seems to understand, my sisters and my dad are the worst. But when I lived in a different town, our relationships were way better. Distance is needed once you left the nest.

The first time I saw this I thought to myself, "you do not have to give us you size" and it still gets me when I scroll through the thread.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Hahahaha that's why I gave it in Farenheit first. I wouldn't even know what my size is in America. :lol

I was in the process of joining another group, which shall remain nameless, but I was in no hurry to finish my build. The head of the group contacted me to see if I was still interested. I told him that I was almost finished with my costume and would sign up when I was. He gave me a lecture on how they are not cosplayers and it's called a uniform. Yeah.....needless to say I still haven't finished and even when I do I won't be joining. I don't care what you call it... I LOVE IT. I want to make it, build it, wear it. Suffer from cuts and bruises and glue all over my hands. I want blisters from glue gun burns and from uncomfortable (but cannon!) footwear and stained hands from leather dye. I want achy hands from hand sewing. I want to blow my nose and see purple dye and pick bits of flying plastic from the dremel out of my hair. Lack of sleep, seam rippers, the all important walk around to cool off and the occasional tears of frustration from just not getting something to work. But most of all I want to wear that big, stupid grin when someone says OMG that is an amazing _______ did you make it?? Why yes! Yes. I. Did.

And this is Why I love you Angela!! I feel the same way. Even though I run a Costume group we have open standards. Basically, if you wanna make it, make it the way you want, you know how, learn something new. WE have no hard and fast rules and I like that. Rules Quash creativity!!!

I'm not part of a group. I'm a soloist. Sometimes I miss the fun a group cosplay/costume can be, but on the other hand, I can do what I want and there's ALWAYS someone who wants to pose with you. It's fun to me.

Kialna, sounds tough living like that. I really hope things get better for you soon. At least my siblings think it's kinda funny what I do, even if they also think I'm a major geek for it. ;) But hey, I got my little sis to join in the fun, and now she wants more costumes. Success! (Of course, I have to make the costumes...) And I honestly don't care whether my other sister thinks it's cool or not, because I love what I do. (And my brother is somewhat of a geek himself, so...) ;) But I tend to avoid discussions on what I do with my family, because I hate having to 'defend' myself and my hobbies. I imagine we are hardly the only ones whose families are doing the headshake, because of our costuming hobby.

I'm part of, well, I guess you could say two distinctive groups although one of them is pretty informal. I like the group dynamic and know I wouldn't have gotten this deep into costuming if I didn't have a group to go out with and do events with. Using my costumes is a big part of it for me. That said, I also want to do costumes where I know I'm likely to be groupless simply because no one else in my immediate group has any interest in costumes from that fandom, but I do. And I look forward to doing those costumes.

Hey all - I'm another en-boobed costumer / cosplayer - I make and wear costumes
Anyways, here's a couple of things I've done in the past:
Jillcosplayfeverrob01.jpg

ncrbychloe01.jpg

The latter one I'm currently in the middle of improving, so I'm getting much more dremel-practice, though I normally do sewing and whatnot.

Interesting to see lots of people against the more ridig kinds of cosplay groups. I'm a member of some very informal groups, which is lovely just to be able to share ideas and tips, but I've come to have a hatred for some groups - especially the ones who seem to think it's OK to take up an entire corridor, push people aside if they want to walk past, and steal / break other people's props, but that's a rant for another time :p
I have to agree totally with FANGS's sentiments (Though I draw the line at coughing up plastic dust) about the joy being in making an item. Especially that glorious moment where it's taken five times longer than expected, broken twice and been re-made three times, and finally perfectly fits together and looks good... usually the day before the costume's debut ;)

Blobfish, great looking NCR ranger!

Especially that glorious moment where it's taken five times longer than expected, broken twice and been re-made three times, and finally perfectly fits together and looks good... usually the day before the costume's debut ;)

QFT! This is the story of my life!

Thanks Skruffy :)
Glad I'm not the only one - I don't get how people can have anything other than a love-hate relationship with costumes :p

Got your attention? :lol

I know there are TONS of other talented ladies on here who make props, costumes and other stuff. I'd like to know who!!

SO ladies! Speak up!

I'll start!

I'm Abby, I make costumes, some props, and style wigs. HI!

HI Abby!!! I added you on as a contact! :)

and hello everyone! I make, props and costumes outta latex latex and a whole lotta other materials, Blah Blah Blah. Pictures are more fun. So, check out my profile for tons of them. Everything you see in my albums I have made over the past 13 years. San Diego Comic Con was my 1st costumed con ever for me to attend and I became hooked! Still going strong after all these years! The RPF has helped me so much, wished I found it years ago!

HAPPY COSTUME PROP MAKING TO ALL!!!

Glad I'm not the only one - I don't get how people can have anything other than a love-hate relationship with costumes :p

I not only have love-hate relationships with costumes, but also with fabric. After 10 Vault jumpsuits, I despise blue and yellow denim. If I'm cursing like a sailor, my family and friends know I'm working with denim and to stay as far from my dining/sewing room as possible. :lol

Lol i always say, if i costume hasn't been thrown across the sewing room at least once, it's not ready to be worn. But then a costume should look slightly worn ;)
Sewing is my pet hate..not really the best hate to have when costume making, but to me a necessary evil to make what i want.

Gizka: 10 Vault Suits? O_O My goodness. After making one leather catsuit I swore never to make one out of non-stretchy fabric again - I'd go mad long before doing 10. Then again, lycra and I have yet to work out our differences.

Sakara: Haha, very true - pretty much everything to go through my workshop (/one corner of my bedroom) gets hurled at a wall or a nosey relative at least once.

I think unpicking is my least favorite part of sewing. The rest is OK, it's just when you realise the last half hour's work is crud and needs un-doing and re-doing *sniffle*

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back