Hi! I have boobs and I make...

I've started a few. Most of them have been in the sculpting subsection, which seems to be quieter than everything else:

Wrex (still WIP):
http://www.therpf.com/f62/urdnot-wrex-sculpt-mask-done-pg-3-a-146221/

Meredith (done):
http://www.therpf.com/f24/finished-dragon-age-ii-meredith-stannard-142414/

Thane (done):
http://www.therpf.com/f62/finished-thane-mass-effect-2-photo-heavy-140050/

Judoon build (WIP, currently gathering dust):
http://www.therpf.com/f62/doctor-who-judoon-build-update-pg-3-a-126349/

I'm Jasmine. I've been into the costuming things since 2002. I didn't really get serious about making my own stuff until 2007 when I first attempted Tia Dalma from Pirates of the Caribbean. I'm currently on version 3 of that costume. I've also conquered my fear of sewing spandex and have made a Mileena costume from Mortal Kombat, and two version of She-Hulk, which I will debut at Dragon*Con this year. With Shulkie, I dabbled in some basic prop work as I made a giant dumbbell from foam. I will work on my airbrushing and makeup application skills. It should be an interesting adventure. I'm not going to get into how many pushups I've done over the course of this year to help do justice to the character.

For me, costuming has evolved from just wearing a costume to something of more of a performance. That is probably because sometimes I work gigs as Tia Dalma and the line between costumer and performer has blurred.

Anyhoo, here is a list of some costumes that I've done:

Imperial Officer
TIE Pilot
Jedi
Storm (movie and several comic book versions)
Vixen (JLA)
Pocahontas (Disney)
Fortune (Metal Gear Solid 2)
Tia Dalma (POTC)
Jade (Mortal Kombat)
Mileena (Mortal Kombat)
She-Hulk

I am always floored by the talent on this website. I am amazed at what people can create with their own hands. I am especially amazed by people who can sculpt and mold. That is a skill that I would like to learn someday.

First Tia Dalma Attempt - 2007 (Pic by Alex Ford)
8820_103799302967553_11566_n.jpg

Second Attempt - 2008
8820_103799306300886_1592379_n.jpg

Current version - 2009
8820_103799569634193_1795188_n.jpg

Quick and TOTALLY off topic question. Is there a thread anywhere about working with latex? Like building latex/rubber dresses?

@jgal: Love the progression of the costume!! And also awesome portrayal of the character! I love seeing some of the unique characters being done as to me they're so much more interesting. There is a lot of detail in that costume as well that without it makes the costume look flat but yours is really nicely fleshed out. I don't know if you have photos of anything else you've done but please post them as your stuff looks great!

Speaking of Mileena....I've always wanted to do a Sindel cosplay. She was the character I used to always play on MK3. Her and....sheeva?? Yeah, Sheeva. I loved Sheeva cuz she did that teleport stomp and then also she would grab someone from behind and either strangle them or do a body slam, I can't remember. Yeah....I'm an old school geek hahahaha! I love all the new games out there but I don't geek out nearly as much as I do over Mortal Kombat.

I've got one build thread going, though it's not for a female costume (it's for the Loki costume I'm making for my husband)

http://www.therpf.com/f24/yet-another-loki-build-153858/

It hasn't gotten a lot of response, but then, stuff doesn't tend to stay on the first page very long here.

Edit--forum etiquette-wise, is it weird to start a build thread for a costume you're making for someone else? I've seen a number of threads here chronicling a costume that someone else is making for the poster, but not as many vice versa, though I could just be missing them.

Last edited:
I'm curious, how many of you ladies are also moms?

My sons are 14 and 10 (11 in a month) and over the past several years I've had to pull out of costuming and convention going to focus on them.

This year we decided to go to Dcon again and tonight I realized anew why I stopped! Trying to juggle the costume building and convention preparation with school starting, their drama and just every day household stuff brought back all that stress I remember nearly did me in.

So, if you're a mom - how do you manage and juggle your hobby and... life?

I'm curious, how many of you ladies are also moms?

My sons are 14 and 10 (11 in a month) and over the past several years I've had to pull out of costuming and convention going to focus on them.

This year we decided to go to Dcon again and tonight I realized anew why I stopped! Trying to juggle the costume building and convention preparation with school starting, their drama and just every day household stuff brought back all that stress I remember nearly did me in.

So, if you're a mom - how do you manage and juggle your hobby and... life?

I have a 4 year old son and a 5 year old son, and I am a stay at home mom. The 5 year old starts kindergarten this year, but both have been at a learning center three days a week for the past two years.

The days they are at school I try to balance housework, yardwork, costuming, other hobbies, and pretty much everything else in life. The two days a week they are at home I usually spend as a referee and short-order cook, so I can rarely accomplish anything on those days. Weekends are usually devoted to family time, with naptimes being dedicated to chores or hobbies or fun stuff.

After the kids go to bed at night, my husband and I usually have 2-3 hours to devote to ourselves. If we are in con mode, we spend all our time working on costumes and props, foregoing watching tv or movies or playing video games. If we aren't in the middle of a project, then we do more leisurely things. It is usually a giant balancing act based on time of year and upcoming events. Sometimes we have to give up other fun things to participate in this hobby. Sometimes we just give up sleep! :lol

Edit--forum etiquette-wise, is it weird to start a build thread for a costume you're making for someone else? I've seen a number of threads here chronicling a costume that someone else is making for the poster, but not as many vice versa, though I could just be missing them.

As far as I know it's perfectly fine/accepted. A lot of the build threads here are for stuff that's made for other people. Especially costume wise. Most of my build threads are costumes for others (mostly my fiance).

Here's some examples so you can see what I usually do for a build thread though they are by no means perfect:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/rumpelstiltskin-ouat-wip-complete-lots-pics-139210/
http://www.therpf.com/f24/castor-gem-tron-tutorial-step-step-photos-131753/

I thought my Mad Hatter was a build thread here but it wasn't. But half of that tron thread is a build for my fiances costume.

I think half the time the people commenting or viewing your thread don't read enough to even realize that the person in the photos is not always the person who is typing/building the costume.

Just curious.... would you happen to be a Chiver too KCandCO? KCCO or is it just a coincidence

No, not really. KCandCO or KC&CO, in my case, is just from "Keep Calm and Costume On," which I use for my costuming work. When I created my profile, that whole name wouldn't fit for my username so I shortened it as best I could. I actually wasn't even thinking about Chive when I did that either, so the similarity in initials is definitely just coincidence. I think now that maybe "CostumeOn" or something to that effect might have been better.

Last edited:
@JGal, I remember taking a picture of you in your Tia at D*con either last year or the year before... and then running to my friends to show them because it was so amazingly well done! Truly outstanding work you've done with it!

Morning all! Busy building for Dragon Con and just had a mild panic attack. Just a tad more than 2 weeks till con! EEEK! There needs to be a law that says we don't have to work our day jobs (but still get paid) 2 weeks out from con! :) A costume holiday!

You know what it is...I don't even mind the "she's fat" or "she's fugly" comments that get me. I mean, yeah they're mean and pathetic but it's usually the comments that define you as a person that get me. The "she's a ****" or "she's sexist". Also the comments of "they should hire professional models". It shows such a lack of intelligence on their part because they obviously know nothing about me or my site when they say stuff like that. They're judging everything based on one photo and not on my business as a whole. Or they don't take the time to sit back and think "Hmmm it's the same girl in every photo so it must be the person who owns the business or possibly a family member or friend. Maybe they can't afford pro models".

Same thing with you Kristen. When someone calls you the "C" word or says you're an animal abuser without any of the facts of who you are as a person it becomes infuriating becomes they aren't making an opinion about you physically but are defaming your character to others. Again, I know it's going to happen and you have to just let it roll off your back but that is where my anger comes from. That element of who are you to make that comment when you have no clue who I am? Make all the fat and ugly comments you want but leave the opinions as to my character to yourself. Or at least be able to claim that you've met me once before forming an opinion.

You hit the nail on the head! :behave

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back