Help with finishing Luke's V2 lightsaber

Cadger

Hi!
I've been idle with the propbuilding for quite som time. I vent through my Star Wars stuff in the basement and found a half completed V2 from a run on RPF a few
years ago. I would like to finish it.

It is fitted with a genuine Graflex clamp and I also have some paint templates I remember buying from an RPF-member.

But I need som help mounting the emitter to the saber neck. The steel rod can be fastened with a set screw. The rod fits down the saber body, but it is a loose fit. Does any one have the same saber, how did you do it?

I also wonder what the included ball bearing should be used for.

Attachments

• 20220722_123955.jpg
    20220722_123955.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 158
I think i have that one. (I didn t used The ball bearing) but I think it should be attached somehow to the Steel Rod at the side that goes in to the saber body, Maybe with glue, i dont know how others did it... I remember that i could be a problem with the bearing, (that the Rod didn't sit straight and centered in the saber body or that the bearing got stuck, If I remember it correctly...
Anyway I attached the Rod and emitter with the set screw and drop it in the saberbody then measured were the end was at the steel rod and Just put silvertape around it so it was stuck in the saber body. I dont know but It worked fine for me.

But I need som help mounting the emitter to the saber neck. The steel rod can be fastened with a set screw. The rod fits down the saber body, but it is a loose fit. Does any one have the same saber, how did you do it?
When you say this, do you mean that the emitter can still slide out after installing? Also it looks like that you are missing a locking collar. If you want , I can take a picture of how mine is set up

This is the collar i am referring to -

8ED1F380-C070-4AC3-AE90-3C312C854233.jpeg

IIRC The bearing should sit between the collar and the inner base of the ring section. The rod should then be fed through the top and locked in place by the set screws of the emitter.

Last edited:
I was a little unclear. What I ment to say is that the emitter can be fastened to the rod with a set screw. But I am not sure whats the intended method to fasten it to the body. I don't have the lock collar refered to by Triin.

One of the main features of this run was a spinning emitter. The bearing was press fit in the saber body to allow the rod to spin. Under the bearing you would need some tape to keep the rod from sliding out, under as in top down, not between the bearing and rod.

If it helps, the two attachment points are a Drill Stop inside the saber, and the Set Screws in the emitter. If you look inside the ring section, there should be a recessed area for the bearing to drop into. Affix your Drill Stop on the bottom of the tang/rod, drop it in, and now you have exposed rod to screw the emitter to. If it's too short, take out your rod, move the drill stop lower and repeat the process.

It's supposed to rattle a little. It's supposed to be able to turn.

I was a little unclear. What I ment to say is that the emitter can be fastened to the rod with a set screw. But I am not sure whats the intended method to fasten it to the body. I don't have the lock collar refered to by Triin.

I think you mean you want to “secure” the emitter to the body of the saber?

Remember, the emitter of the V2 is designed NOT to be secured to the body of the saber and is, in fact, supposed to spin and be somewhat loosely attached to the body of the hilt.

Thus the gaffers tape around the neck…

Last edited:
Thank you all for you input! I will find a way to secure it to the body. I think I probably also will add some gaffers tape to the neck to make it as screen acurate as possible.

Thank you all for you input! I will find a way to secure it to the body. I think I probably also will add some gaffers tape to the neck to make it as screen acurate as possible.
I would try to add that collar if you can find one. I would suggest a solid mechanical connection as the tape is only tape. With the collar, it can still spin freely but you know the emitter is secure and the gaffers tape becomes a secondary form of security. ( also enabling you to wrap it looser as the prop sits today) ;)

Edit - drill stop / collar…. Same thing as thd9791 said. We are both saying the same things ( to avoid confusion)

Last edited:
That is a wicked rare version of the starkiller, that’s his generation 1. A legendary hilt

Like others have stated it was the first with a spinning emitter

And like others have already answered, throw them bearing and locking collar on the drive shaft, insert the driveshaft so it sticks out the neck, then slide the emitter on and lock it into place with the set screws in the nipple

It will take a few try’s to get the driveshaft sticking out the emitter correctly, you want about 1mm sticking out of the nipple
1BA99EAD-95FD-4B92-8807-F6D4D5E7D0A8.jpeg

Post photos when it’s done. This is my favorite version of the starkiller, very sentimental to me

Yeah, after all the subsequent runs, (I am not even sure how many versions of the V2 have now passed through my hands) I sold my Gen 1, at some point; I now regret not holding in to it.

I measured the rod to be exact 8 mm. Perfect for M8 threads. So instead of a drill lock collar I threaded the tip of the rod. That way I can
just screwed on a (lock) nut. I can even tighten it inside the hilt if I want. So I can decide to let the emitter spin, or I can tighten it hard so
it won't spin.

Attachments

• 20220725_113220.jpg
    20220725_113220.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220725_114653.jpg
    20220725_114653.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 93
I measured the rod to be exact 8 mm. Perfect for M8 threads. So instead of a drill lock collar I threaded the tip of the rod. That way I can
just screwed on a (lock) nut. I can even tighten it inside the hilt if I want. So I can decide to let the emitter spin, or I can tighten it hard so
it won't spin.
Are you a mind reader? I just did this same thing Saturday morning…

Starting to get a tingle down my spine..

Nice work! It's gratifying to see these still finished with care. This was my first V2 run (before we got the Propculture quest video and before we got the Facebook photo of the V2 from Brandon). The overall dimensions were based on a production made cast of the Kenobi stunt. So, even if it has some inaccuracies compared to subsequent runs, it's still got some lineage in terms of the research that went into it. :)

That first run was underrated, still my favorite in terms of just lightsaber kits

I’ve wanted to get one and put a blade in it…

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back