Hellboy Samaritan Case, custom mix of canon & non-canon build.

He probably can do that on his mill. He threaded the inside of the large nut that he made. rifling the barrel would probably be similar.

I'm no gun expert but from what I've seen online, rifling isn't something you can just put on a mill to do. You could probably do a faux-rifling that way but at this point in his build, I think he'd do it for real and rifling bits are these small things you have to push through the barrel for it to etch the lines.

I'm really interested to see what he comes up with.

After watching Adam's box video you guys may find this usefully.... "Impact" is the closest standard font to the text, but the "S" and "A" I modified in Photo shop to match..

warp 5.jpg
warp blank.jpg

Last edited:
Been following these videos as well, learned a lot! Cant wait to see it painted!

The green inlay reminds me of all the crazy gun boxes in the armory at House on the Rock, some really wild stuff there.

4636253898_a89b49d33a_c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Adam, both here and on Tested. Such high quality and polish, but instead of making me feel like an amateur, your builds inspire me to do better <3

Same goes for all you RPF pros.

I keep meaning to have a gallery showing of my cases for my fave props. I've got a weird collective of them: everythng from a display box for my incredible Tom Spina Chewbacca mask to my bride sword.
The case becomes a super-obsession.
Hey Adam! I've really been digging this whole series and I'm looking forward to the case interior video. Also, Ed Goldfarb says hi.
Just watched your video on youtube and I wanted to say that the font looks like ITC Bolt. I know it's a little late for your stencil but for the future it might be good to know.
Quick tip after watching Adam's case build video - I'm not sure how many folks know of the "perspective crop tool" in Photoshop, but if you need to go from a screenshot to a flat image, it'll get you there in 4 clicks and a single tap of the Enter key. It's a sub-selection of the crop tool (long-click on the crop tool, 2nd one down), and here's a 90-second video showing how to use it (not my video, but quick, clear, and to the point): Perspective Crop Tool Quick Tip

It's great for creating 3D texture maps, figuring out dimensions from screenshots, or working out things like the font on the case. Then you throw the image at WhatTheFont or a similar site.

Hey Adam! I've really been digging this whole series and I'm looking forward to the case interior video. Also, Ed Goldfarb says hi.

Quick tip after watching Adam's case build video - I'm not sure how many folks know of the "perspective crop tool" in Photoshop, but if you need to go from a screenshot to a flat image, it'll get you there in 4 clicks and a single tap of the Enter key. It's a sub-selection of the crop tool (long-click on the crop tool, 2nd one down), and here's a 90-second video showing how to use it (not my video, but quick, clear, and to the point): Perspective Crop Tool Quick Tip

It's great for creating 3D texture maps, figuring out dimensions from screenshots, or working out things like the font on the case. Then you throw the image at WhatTheFont or a similar site.
That's a great tip! I did not know about that tool, and just used it for a bottle label I've been wanting to do for a while now. Thanks!

Here ya go! I cannot vouch for any specific measurements. Double check all my math. Have fun! ( I tried to scrub any sensitive info, but if you find the ghost of a phone number in these scans, be cool and don't call it)
Also these drawings include my fix for the fact that my main body is made from huge chunk of aluminum that was 1/4" too short and I had to scab on a small piece to build the bridge over the top of the cylinder.
View attachment 1366205View attachment 1366206View attachment 1366207View attachment 1366209View attachment 1366225View attachment 1366210View attachment 1366211
Are you planning on doing a "Blueprint drawing poster" ala your toolbox one, I think that would be very popular :)

Rifling in this case is probably best done using a broach like approach. (sorry, I couldn't resists)
That way you can define exactly what the profile of the groove is and because you are going very slow, you can control the rotation as well.
Hold the barrel in the chuck of the lathe, and using the carriage, pull the broach through, while it rotates.
Only question is, if the lathe can be configured to have the "threads per inch" needed for the rifling.

Rifling in this case is probably best done using a broach like approach. (sorry, I couldn't resists)
That way you can define exactly what the profile of the groove is and because you are going very slow, you can control the rotation as well.
Hold the barrel in the chuck of the lathe, and using the carriage, pull the broach through, while it rotates.
Only question is, if the lathe can be configured to have the "threads per inch" needed for the rifling.

I believe rifling is done on a unique machine. Most rifling is to the tune of say, 1 full revolution in 7 inches or; 1:7 as it's usually noted. It varies depending on the bullet size and weight of course. You see things like 1:9, 1:12, or 1:14 or other such numbers. I'm not sure the average lathe is capable of doing the equivalent of 1 thread per foot.

I've seen a few DIYers think outside of the box and 3D print an etching jig to electro etch rifling with good results.

The good thing for Adam is that it is alu, so relatively soft.
If the lathe doesn't do that speed, I am sure he can come up with a rotating broach mechanism.
I 3D printed something similar a while back.
Hmm, you got me thinking now..

I believe rifling is done on a unique machine. Most rifling is to the tune of say, 1 full revolution in 7 inches or; 1:7 as it's usually noted. It varies depending on the bullet size and weight of course. You see things like 1:9, 1:12, or 1:14 or other such numbers. I'm not sure the average lathe is capable of doing the equivalent of 1 thread per foot.

I've seen a few DIYers think outside of the box and 3D print an etching jig to electro etch rifling with good results.

The good thing for Adam is that it is alu, so relatively soft.
If the lathe doesn't do that speed, I am sure he can come up with a rotating broach mechanism.
I 3D printed something similar a while back.
Hmm, you got me thinking now..

I'm thinking of rifling mild steel, was thinking about a lathe set-up. So...no go, then?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back