Hellboy II: Prince Nuada (Big Update! 12/19/11 with lots of pictures.)

geek

Well, I've been lurking on these boards for such a long time now, and I figure that it's about time to post something! Here goes nothing.

Anyway, Hellboy II was on TV and I was feeling pretty ambitious, so I started making Prince Nuada's obi-belt. These pictures show about two days' worth of work.

I've never taken sewing classes or anything and I made the patterns myself, so the seams are probably a bit funky in comparison to store-bought patterns.

I'm working on the jacket now, but it isn't finished enough to post pictures of. I made the patterns for that, too, so the seams are very strange!

The Seal of Beth'moora is made out of craft foam, rubber cement, paint, and a printed copy of this ( The Royal Seal contour by *LeafOfSteel on deviantART ) , which was perfect for the job. I printed the design for the seal on paper, glued the seal design to the foam and cut it out, then painted it and scratched it up a bit using the end of some old scissors.

Unfinished obi on my duct tape dress form...

The Seal of Beth'moora...

The finished obi belt (more of a corset-type-thing, really)...

I realized after looking at this picture that I made a mistake in the pattern of folds, so I fixed that with a seam ripper and the sewing machine. I'm glad that seam rippers exist. :lol

Thanks for looking!

a8QBgY

Last edited:
Re: Prince Nuada (Work In Progress)

Awesome start. I've always liked the character and I'm looking forward to seeing this one fnished. Keep up the good work.

Thanks very much, Vinom11! I wish they had done more with Nuada. Such an interesting (and underused) character. I wasn't a big fan of the movie's plot, but the character designs were fantastic. I love Guillermo del Toro's creatures.

Here is a clearer shot of how it looks while I'm wearing the obi...

The top part of the obi will be covered by armor (which will be made out of cardboard).

EDIT: I'll upload my sketch-plan for the rest of the costume tomorrow.

EDIT (again): Here's that sketch!

nuadasketch by Geek's pics, on Flickr

Last edited:

I had a pretty busy week, but managed to work on the jacket all day. The seams are dissatisfyingly asymmetrical, but I'm hoping to fix that later.

I still have to do the collar and sleeves, and sew on some hooks or clasps or something to close the jacket in front.

Any pink or blue marks are chalk that I haven't cleaned off yet.

A view of the back:

The front:

The front with the obi pinned on:

It's pretty obvious that I'm a girl from the shape of the jacket, but I'm going to make Nuada's armor to go on top of it, so that will hopefully conceal my gender a bit.

I'm going to work on it some more tomorrow as long as I don't run out of thread.

Gorgeous! Keep up the good work! I've always loved Nuada's character design, it's quite beautiful.

Awesome start, I really loved that character and his overall design, I can't wait to see your end product...

Hey, thanks for the comments, everyone! Very, very much appreciated.

Sorry for the lack of progress! Unfortunately, I am now attending college several hours away from home, so the work on this will be pretty sporadic. I will try to work on it during breaks from school, though.

Thanks again.

EDIT--I'll be going home for a short break at the end of this week(9/27/11), so hopefully I'll be able to finish up the jacket then. I think I'll just bring cardboard and masking tape back to the campus with me when I go back so I can make the armor here.

EDIT (again)--I ordered a wig today(10/1/11) and bought makeup. I have tabi boots that are passably close to Nuada's, and just have to finish the jacket and the armor.

Here's the wig I ordered!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320709703791?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I'm taking a bit of a chance, as it's shipping from Hong Kong, so I just hope it gets to me on time. Also, I wanted to get a pair of colored contacts...

http://www.coastalcontacts.com/special-effects-lenses/gold-vampire/prod97240.html

...but I just don't have the money for it. )-: Maybe next time.

UPDATE--I just have to make patterns for the sleeves, cut them out, and attach! I'm probably going to stay up until it's finished.

Last edited:
Re: Prince Nuada--Update w/ pics! (10/3/11)

OK, so I'm back again and this time with pictures! Please note that I'm wearing jeans in this picture. For Halloween I will be wearing black pants and tabi boots, which are the closest that I had to Nuada's. I also bought a bit more fabric to make a better sash today, and still have to sew that up.

All that remains for me to do is to sew the sash, make the armor, and paint it. How exciting!

Also, the wig has already been shipped, so I'm quite optimistic that it will reach me on time.

Re: Hellboy II: Prince Nuada(Update w/ pics!10/3/2011)

Yay! More Nuada! My fiance and I went and Nuada and Nuala and we went all out! We went to comic con last year and had a blast. The makeup takes forever though so I wish you luck with that!

Re: Hellboy II: Prince Nuada(Update w/ pics!10/3/2011)

Nice work!

Makes me want to go back to the one I started working on, although I was looking at the Cream one.

Last edited:
Re: Hellboy II: Prince Nuada (Update 10/12/11)

Hey, thank you all again for the comments! I appreciate your encouragement and interest.

I have a bit of free time tomorrow (I hope) and plan to work on the armor then. The redone sash is now complete, and looks a whole lot better than the puny one in the above pictures. Unfortunately, the new sash is untextured (and so won't match the obi belt perfectly). It's almost the exact shade of maroon, though, so I don't think it will be so bad. I haven't heard anything about the wig, so I'm a bit nervous about that.

My floor is having a Halloween contest. I am definitely going to enter! :cool

Jaina_Organasolo, you shooouuuld! That is such a beautiful costume! How much of it did you get finished? And, not to be a creeper, but did you post any pictures of it here? I'd love to see your work.

I didn't get very far....I just had a rough of the coat. I have the sash fabric and the Gold but the patterned cream was giving me a headache! I found something similarish but it was very pricey, so I haven't bought yet.
The good thing about the cream is there is far more reference out there - but it just made it harder to get something I was happy with.
There aren't any pictures as it never really got anywhere...But hmmm. I might consider it now.

I didn't get very far....I just had a rough of the coat. I have the sash fabric and the Gold but the patterned cream was giving me a headache! I found something similarish but it was very pricey, so I haven't bought yet.
The good thing about the cream is there is far more reference out there - but it just made it harder to get something I was happy with.
There aren't any pictures as it never really got anywhere...But hmmm. I might consider it now.

That would be fantastic to see...person I totally dont know. Im sure your amazing partner would look good in it...if i knew him :angel

Update!

Wig received! It's a bit darker than I had hoped, but was also very cheap so I can't complain. Also, I'm about a quarter of the way done with the armor (started working on it yesterday, so I don't think I'll run out of time.)

Re: Hellboy II: Prince Nuada (Update 10/23/11) Pic of unfinished armor.

Update-tastic! I'm not nearly done with the armor yet, but wanted to post a picture of my progress. I still have to add a bunch of details and paint it.

The armor looks really asymmetrical in this picture, but it won't be when it's finished because I'm adding clasps to ensure that it stays closed the way I want it to, and some on the inside to attach the top of the obi to so it doesn't slip down while I'm wearing it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back