Hasbro Hero Series 30" X Wing with Open Wings

Nice work with your engines (V.2), Trooper! I specially like how you made the 'boxes' from plastic sheet; I think I will do the same, draw up a pattern w/ CAD and then print one + mirror onto sticky label paper as templates. Look forward to your finished model.

R/ Robert

Glad there is some inspiration for ya'll;)....I like the idea of the ILM swivel mounting mech for the wings, but I intend to have it fixed open, so I'll use something a bit simpler and hopefully not build it twice, like the engines!:lol..will try to get the wings finished and the mounting point inside the fuselage done this weekend....stay tuned....

I have thought about offering the engines for sale as they turned out quiet good I think, but they have an additional engine part to extend them into the new size box, so require a new mold. I probably would build a new master for the entire engine and engine box, so peeps just have to cut away the plastic and glue the box with engine in, but that would be a side project maybe later....as always, too many projects, too little time....

Last edited:
Well, I got two of these last week at a local Wal-Mart. The scanning price was still $39, but they price-matched the Wal-Mart website at $24.96 each or something like that.

And just now I checked the same site and they're listed at $81.68and it says that is a reduced price from $98.02! What the hey? Is the site just an experiment in pricing psychology? I remember the great big Falcon was (is still?) subject to wildly varying prices there as well, but I don't think it has been quite that wild!

Glad I pounced when I did …

Qapla'

SSB

Glad there is some inspiration for ya'll;)....I like the idea of the ILM swivel mounting mech for the wings, but I intend to have it fixed open, so I'll use something a bit simpler and hopefully not build it twice, like the engines!:lol..will try to get the wings finished and the mounting point inside the fuselage done this weekend....stay tuned....

I have thought about offering the engines for sale as they turned out quiet good I think, but they have an additional engine part to extend them into the new size box, so require a new mold. I probably would build a new master for the entire engine and engine box, so peeps just have to cut away the plastic and glue the box with engine in, but that would be a side project maybe later....as always, too many projects, too little time....

I know what you mean about too many projects... talk about a life time.:) However, if you ever do make castings of those totaly sweet engines and boxes you can put down for a set. That is, if I haven't got a round to doing my own by that time. ....what was that about a life time of projects? :lol

A quick test mounting to see what it looks like......not too bad. The wings are surprisingly heavy, so will have to strengthen the internal frame to support them...lots still to do....

Looks impressive even in this early state! How did you attach the wings? Are they clipped over the edge of the opening in the body?

The fact that the wings are coming out so heavy is setting off warning bells in the back of my brain. :eek

Looks impressive even in this early state! How did you attach the wings? Are they clipped over the edge of the opening in the body?

The fact that the wings are coming out so heavy is setting off warning bells in the back of my brain. :eek

The wings are temp held with double sided foam tape just to get an idea of how things will look. I'll epoxy glue them permanently once the internal is built up more. The internal engines being resin is where most of the weight is, but using flute board to pack out the wings does keep it lighter.

Doing a great job, RT! With the weight near the mounting point, should lessen the stress on the mounting plate. The lightweight nose should help, too!

You got me thinking what to do with my copy: mounted on a 'hand grip' with a GoPro or some such mounting, could make some interesting video chasing cats and dogs...hehe!

Regards, Robert

Oh man! My days of chasing women with model starfighters (if there was ever a phallic symbol....) is pretty well past, my friend!
R/ Robert

Freud would love this thread.

SB

Ok, RougeTrooper I guess it's ok that you derailed your own thread but now you have to post an update to get it back on track! :lol

I was thinking put real lasers in the cannons and go after mosquitoes and other pesky flying things like starlings. ...That doesn't really help does it. :D

Ok, RougeTrooper I guess it's ok that you derailed your own thread but now you have to post an update to get it back on track! :lol

I was thinking put real lasers in the cannons and go after mosquitoes and other pesky flying things like starlings. ...That doesn't really help does it. :D

No it doesn't help me :lol.....stay on target...stay on target......;)..........I only really work on this build when not building props I sell, so updates are few and far between..

I'm thinking of rebooting this thread with a new title....some people have told me the title doesn't reflect that we're rebuilding this big hasbro toy and opening it's wings up????

New Thread Title.....Big 30" Hasbro Toy X-Wing Mods - Opening the Wings.....Does that sound better???:confused

No it doesn't help me :lol.....stay on target...stay on target......;)..........I only really work on this build when not building props I sell, so updates are few and far between..

I'm thinking of rebooting this thread with a new title....some people have told me the title doesn't reflect that we're rebuilding this big hasbro toy and opening it's wings up????

New Thread Title.....Big 30" Hasbro Toy X-Wing Mods - Opening the Wings.....Does that sound better???:confused

I don't know that a new title would clarify my original perception. Maybe ...Splitting the wings? Implies a little more work. Actually I think I'd leave it as is.

Stay on target ,,,just impacted on the surface. The force will be with you... Your targeting computer is off ...now that got results. :)

RT, I think the original title is fine because you have the necessary 'operative' words - "Hasbro 30" X-Wing". So, anyone interested in that subject will find their way...

Regards, Robert

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back