Hasbro Hero Series 30" X Wing with Open Wings

The Big Hasbro falcon is $100 where I live, I thought about getting one, but the X Wing is the focus. They are both okay bases to build from and mod, I really don't see the playability for a child, there's little interactive value, still they are cool.

i just purchased the 30" x wing and big falcon on eBay Australia on the Target shop to be delivered to my nephews in Darwin. The big falcon was $59 + $9 postage Australia wide if your interested. The x wing was $49.

I paid $80 for one :facepalmso if you can get two for $80 I s'pose there's value there. You'd have 4 complete top wing panels, but still have to build all the internal wings and all internal engines. $40 is a lot of money for two wing top panels though. If you buy one complete Hasbro X Wing, you do get all 4 main engines.
I've got a couple of the "regular issue" Hasbro X-wings. The new big one is $40 here, which would be okay if I only wanted one. Hoping the price will eventually fall as the Falcon did. It started here at around $60, and I picked up one when it was rolled back to $30, and then a second on clearance a couple weeks ago for $15.

Qapla'

SSB

I've got a couple of the "regular issue" Hasbro X-wings. The new big one is $40 here, which would be okay if I only wanted one. Hoping the price will eventually fall as the Falcon did. It started here at around $60, and I picked up one when it was rolled back to $30, and then a second on clearance a couple weeks ago for $15.

Qapla'

SSB

You really don't need a second one. The only gain is you get the top detail of the lower wings, but I s'pose if you can get a second one cheap enough then why not. I thought about getting two but at $80 it was a no deal. I have to build all the internal wings, so two more top wing details isn't much more to do.

ahhh...crap....I just realised I didn't support the silicone mold correctly and now all three resin casts are larger than the original internal build.

I doubt it will matter as I'm not going for super accuracy...frustrating though:facepalm

Realising now I probably should have planned this better. Deciding to go with mounting rods, which is a fine idea, means they must be covered up. As the rods are wood dowel (cheap) they're probably too big and now that they are covered up, it creates a 'box' frame effect that isn't all that pretty:facepalm....too late to start again so I'll have to come up with a solution that fix that.

The accidental framing box just looks wrong, even though I'm not going super accurate, it just doesn't work......so back to the drawing board. I've ripped the mounting sticks off and the engine out. Might have to create and cast new engines as the ones I have are too small for the space now......AND figure out a new mounting system:facepalm....oh well....such is the joy of scratch built modelling.;)

Realising now I probably should have planned this better. Deciding to go with mounting rods, which is a fine idea, means they must be covered up. As the rods are wood dowel (cheap) they're probably too big and now that they are covered up, it creates a 'box' frame effect that isn't all that pretty:facepalm....too late to start again so I'll have to come up with a solution that fix
Did you test fit into approx position, they may not be that objectionable if you cannot see too much of the, if your still going to change it why not use aluminium on its edge and fit at a centre point like a scissors , I am going through project stall with my falcon seeing your xwing come along is tempting me to start that too

Re: Hasbro Hero Series 30" X Wing with Open Wings

Did you test fit into approx position, they may not be that objectionable if you cannot see too much of the, if your still going to change it why not use aluminium on its edge and fit at a centre point like a scissors , I am going through project stall with my falcon seeing your xwing come along is tempting me to start that too

I'm surprised I'm being so fussy as the focus isn't high end accuracy, but the box frame look is just horrible too me, so it had to go. It's true that not much of the internal engines are seen, but it bothered me, so I had to cut it out. I'll build a new box with lighter walls and increase the engine size into the cavity. It's frustrating, but still fun to be building;)

- - - Updated - - -

I know how you feel, the falcon sidewalls on mine have been on pause over a month because I want it to be structurally sound but I am going around in circles doing nothing ARGHHH ,
loving your post ....your trail blazing for the rest of rogue squadron ......we'll let you finish your attack run first

I know how you feel, the falcon sidewalls on mine have been on pause over a month because I want it to be structurally sound but I am going around in circles doing nothing ARGHHH ,
loving your post ....your trail blazing for the rest of rogue squadron ......we'll let you finish your attack run first

thx;)....yeah it can be frustrating when you have to make it up as you go along, but it's still fun.:facepalm:lol.....plus I drink a lot, so that helps:D

This is an inspiring project. Accurate or not it will be very impressive.:cool

Eventually I'll have a body and engine section to take measurements from for my own project. :D

When you consider that most of this is hardly seen.....it's a massive amount of work....but it's still fun......;)......please god kill me :lol.....so I cut the wood dowel mounting points off made new thinner wall engine boxes and had to cast another engine to cut up and fill the additional space for each engine...once primed they look ok....lots of filling gaps and then the wing edges need finishing and the back part of the booster rocket things to do.....it's slow going as I spend a few hours here and there when not building other stuff....

Last edited:
You should offer you cast engines up for sale. I'm sure you could sell a few sets to others who are working on this. Maybe enough to claw back some of your costs?

....plus even if someone supplied the wings, they'd have to supply the internal fuselage mounting....still I'd like to see someone have ago at it.

This project is coming along very nicely. Very nice job on the inner wing detail and engines. I'll be refrencing this thread when my own toy arrives and I start a similar conversion.

For those interested I will be doing a working internal fuselage mounting mechanism for the wings on mine. :cool

This project is coming along very nicely. Very nice job on the inner wing detail and engines. I'll be refrencing this thread when my own toy arrives and I start a similar conversion.

For those interested I will be doing a working internal fuselage mounting mechanism for the wings on mine. :cool
i would like to emulate the ILM ones

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 276
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 258
Seems a lot of people want that. My design is already completed, just not scaled up. It has bearings down the entire shaft, provides synchronized positioning of the wings and will be positionable after it is installed in the model. It is not intended to be a studio replicaiton and as such fits well with the intent of RougeTroopers non-purist but very cool project here, which I'm taking inspiration from on multiple scales. I just wanted to mention that something related to the requests for a wing mounting mechanism is in the works for this toy however, the full project description is not for this thread as I do not want to take away from RT's work here. :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back